View Single Post
Old Sun Jan 22, 2006, 09:21am
Official Forum Member

I hear what you're saying Dave. During the HS season, I really don't take any or much youth games. However, in the offseason, I like to work game a couple of times per week. We've thrown around those same concerns you expressed many times and have seen some of it ourselves.

One of the things I try to do is make sure I have a good partner when working those types of games. That makes a huge huge difference in the amount of fan/ coach/ player BS. Also, my tolerence during these games is almost nil. Since I've seen so many of these coaches, they all know we will work hard and to call our best game and make sure nothing gets out of hand, they usually leave us alone. I also won't take games if I know that league admin or tournament director won't support us.

Usually with these type games, there's not really a secluded place for us to go when a game is completed and this is oftentimes when crap might happen. I try to stay to the center of the court so that I can see if someone is approaching me and so can everyone else. Usually, if they look angry or want to complain, I stop sign em and let them know the game is over and they need to clear the court. If they proceed, I will walk farther away or walk towards game admin.

As far as anything physical happening, I don't spend alot of time worring about it as I'm 6'6" 240 and have several years of martial arts training. Although, I hope to never ever have to apply it. I believe I can disarm most anyone verbally. I think there are alot more dangerous places to go then a BB court.