The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Basketball
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Sun Jan 22, 2006, 01:40am
Official Forum Member

Hey all,

As I started the thread, I guess I can "somewhat" end it. HEH.

Well, it's been over a week since I ref'ed that girls varsity game. My schedule was actually very light this week, until friday night (see my "overtime clock snafu thread" for more details).

In any case, I'd have to say I still have a lot to learn about "reffing the defense" or "reffing the matchups" or whatever term folks want to use.

As I had a few 7th/8th grade games in addition to my high school game, I worked on trying different things this weekend.

I'm afraid I did fall into the dreaded "tunnel vision" problem as I focused so hard on the defense that I occasionally didn't get clean looks at what the offensive team was doing. While I think my peripheral vision is decent, I think I don't quite trust myself enough to try and watch the offensive team/ball peripherally. I noticed I seem to get back into the habit of watching the ball when a player is driving to the basket.

In any case, thanks for the comments. I'll keep working on this and see what I can learn about myself.
Old Sun Jan 22, 2006, 08:34am
Official Forum Member

Send a message via MSN to IREFU2 Send a message via Yahoo to IREFU2
Quote:
Originally posted by coach41
Hey all,

As I started the thread, I guess I can "somewhat" end it. HEH.

Well, it's been over a week since I ref'ed that girls varsity game. My schedule was actually very light this week, until friday night (see my "overtime clock snafu thread" for more details).

In any case, I'd have to say I still have a lot to learn about "reffing the defense" or "reffing the matchups" or whatever term folks want to use.

As I had a few 7th/8th grade games in addition to my high school game, I worked on trying different things this weekend.

I'm afraid I did fall into the dreaded "tunnel vision" problem as I focused so hard on the defense that I occasionally didn't get clean looks at what the offensive team was doing. While I think my peripheral vision is decent, I think I don't quite trust myself enough to try and watch the offensive team/ball peripherally. I noticed I seem to get back into the habit of watching the ball when a player is driving to the basket.

In any case, thanks for the comments. I'll keep working on this and see what I can learn about myself.
Keep trying, it will come to you. Rec ball and lower level games are the best way to do this. Dont feel bad, we all get tunnel vision sometime.
Old Sun Jan 22, 2006, 10:59am
Huck Finn

Coach41,

You might not ever make it big, and that might not even be a goal of yours, but I think you will become a fine official if for no other reason than your honesty. You are NOT the only official to get tunnel vision by focusing so much on the defense, and you will not be the last. I will join with you in saying I still have a lot to work on. The perfect game is somewhere out there, although I will probably never get to it. Keep pushing and keep learning.