The Official Forum

The Official Forum (https://forum.officiating.com/)
-   Basketball (https://forum.officiating.com/basketball/)
-   -   "Referee the Defense" tips/advice? (https://forum.officiating.com/basketball/24284-referee-defense-tips-advice.html)

coach41 Tue Jan 17, 2006 12:41pm

Hi All,

Officials, just like players and coaches, will have their off nights. I probably had one of those nights last friday at a girls varsity game.

In any case, afterwards, I had a nice long talk with a veteran official (who was the AD of the school I was at) and she noted that I should "referee the defense" better.

To be honest, I thought I had slowed my habit of ball watching and focused on the defense better. However, after having a chance to replay a little bit of the game in my head, I realized I had reverted back during the game.

My best guess as to why is both teams were playing zone a lot. When the ball swung from side to side, I would tend to watch the ball swing and when a player drove to the hoop against the zone, I would immediately focus on the player with the ball rather than the nearby defenders. I think I unfairly penalized the defense a few times with some calls.

In any case, I was curious what the other officials here have to offer on working/improving this aspect of officiating?

Thanks!

rockyroad Tue Jan 17, 2006 12:54pm

Talk to yourself...as you set up in the half-court, tell yourself "Find blue" or whatever color is on defense. Then rotate thru numbers - as the ball swings to one side, find the nearest blue (or whatever color) player and tell yourself his/her number. Example - "as ball swings and blue #25 starts to rush at the ball, say in your head "Watch 25, watch 25...it's all about keeping your concentration level high at all times, and mental reminders will help quite a bit.

Forksref Tue Jan 17, 2006 12:59pm

I've been at it for over 30 years and I still have to tell myself, "Watch the defense, watch the defense..."

truerookie Tue Jan 17, 2006 12:59pm

Quote:

Originally posted by rockyroad
Talk to yourself...as you set up in the half-court, tell yourself "Find blue" or whatever color is on defense. Then rotate thru numbers - as the ball swings to one side, find the nearest blue (or whatever color) player and tell yourself his/her number. Example - "as ball swings and blue #25 starts to rush at the ball, say in your head "Watch 25, watch 25...it's all about keeping your concentration level high at all times, and mental reminders will help quite a bit.
The advice is good. However, you will still have the tendency to ball watch. What about off ball coverage?

Watch your primary and all of blue in your primary.

IREFU2 Tue Jan 17, 2006 01:30pm

Quote:

Originally posted by truerookie
Quote:

The advice is good. However, you will still have the tendency to ball watch. What about off ball coverage?

I concur on this note and to add to it, try to find your match ups. That way you know who is on the offense and the defense.

ThickSkin Tue Jan 17, 2006 01:31pm

What works for me when I am lead is to work wide and slightly turn my body away from the ball to where I can only see it out of the corner of my eye. As far as C and T go, I just have to keep talking to myself...

Junker Tue Jan 17, 2006 01:48pm

Look for matchups in your area. If there aren't any, find the matchup closest to your area and work with them. A bit of a 3 man mechanic, but it works for 2.

rockyroad Tue Jan 17, 2006 02:11pm

Quote:

Quote:

Huh??? Telling myself to watch the defense will cause me to watch the ball??? What are you talking about?

Back In The Saddle Tue Jan 17, 2006 02:18pm

Quote:

Quote:

Quote:

Huh??? Telling myself to watch the defense will cause me to watch the ball??? What are you talking about?

I think he's saying that your advice seems to be saying to watch the defender that's on the ball. But what about defenders away from the ball?

rockyroad Tue Jan 17, 2006 02:47pm

Quote:

Originally posted by Back In The Saddle

Huh??? Telling myself to watch the defense will cause me to watch the ball??? What are you talking about? [/B][/QUOTE]

I think he's saying that your advice seems to be saying to watch the defender that's on the ball. But what about defenders away from the ball? [/B][/QUOTE]

Well, the original post made mention of the ball swinging from side to side and drives to the basket as the main areas where the Poster was having problems...so I responded on how to help with that - still not sure how that answer would cause someone to ball-watch, but whatever...

rainmaker Wed Jan 18, 2006 12:46am

The way to break the ball-watching habit is to tape a college game off TV, find an off-ball foul in the game, then keep watching the play again and again until you see the foul before the ref blows the whistle.

--OR--

Work a game where your partner never looks off-ball. You do it instead. The whole game. It's amazing what you'll see, and you'll enjoy the off-ball parts from then on.

Back In The Saddle Wed Jan 18, 2006 12:50am

Something that works for me is to find the two nearest matchups and watch them.

JRutledge Wed Jan 18, 2006 01:32am

I just learned early on that watching off ball was to my advantage and that is what I did. If the ball is not in my primary or even near my primary I do not follow the ball. I do not do anything special than just watch off ball when I am supposed to. Not sure there is a magic trick to it for me.

Peace

Snake~eyes Wed Jan 18, 2006 02:20am

Quote:

Originally posted by Back In The Saddle
Something that works for me is to find the two nearest matchups and watch them.
This works for me, find a competitive matchup.

assignmentmaker Wed Jan 18, 2006 03:24am

Reffing the defense is important

Reffing the defense is important, for sure, but, taken to the extreme, you can really lose 'sight' of the offense. One way to keep a balance is to learn the offenses on the fly. Of course, if there's just motion-without-a-purpose, well, it could be a long night.