The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Basketball
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Sat Jan 14, 2006, 07:47am
Official Forum Member

Last night...girls varsity from rival schools in a one point game. Red point gaurd (clearly their best player) gets two quick fouls called on her from my partner to start the second quarter. On the next trip dowm the floor after her second foul she tries to make a steal while pressing and clearly goes through A1 so I give her her third foul. Since that put white on the line for one and one we start heading down the floor when I notice A1 put both hads in the air...say something...then lower them in disgust. I didn't want to T her and give her a 4th foul so I decide to do some preventative offiating.

I ease over to the Red coach and say (as best as I can remember).

Me: Coach you may want to talk to #1, she is getting frustrated.
Coach: I can't blame her, your whistle was real late.
Me: May have been a little late coach but it was clearly a foul.
Coach: Yea but your whistle should have been faster...
Me (interupting): It was just a comment coach and I will try to have a faster whistle.

The coach starts to complain about the call (the one he just admitted was a foul) and continues on about the whistle. I say "Let it go, coach." and move away about a step and a half. He then starts complaining about the other two fouls my partner called. I tell him "We're done coach, that's enough"...he continues so I repeat it and put my hand up in a stop sign. While my hand is still up he keeps going so I leave it up and say "Last chance coach...that's enough."

He increases the volume a little but keeps going...Whack.

After I told my partner the situation and go to administer the shots while she tells him he is seatbelted the remainder of the game I couldn't help but wonder if I had baited him into a T.

There was a member of our chapter working the clock (he is affiliated with that school). At half time I ask him to join us since he heard the interaction. He didn't think I baited him but I want further input.

Thanks
Old Sat Jan 14, 2006, 08:31am
Huck Finn

I think the whole interaction was too long, especially since you gave him information to help him. You didn't have to try to help him but since you did you should have cut the conversation short and showed him the backside.
Old Sat Jan 14, 2006, 10:13am
Get away from me, Steve.

Quote:
Originally posted by LarryS
Last night...girls varsity from rival schools in a one point game. Red point gaurd (clearly their best player) gets two quick fouls called on her from my partner to start the second quarter. On the next trip dowm the floor after her second foul she tries to make a steal while pressing and clearly goes through A1 so I give her her third foul. Since that put white on the line for one and one we start heading down the floor when I notice A1 put both hads in the air...say something...then lower them in disgust. I didn't want to T her and give her a 4th foul so I decide to do some preventative offiating.

I ease over to the Red coach and say (as best as I can remember).

Me: Coach you may want to talk to #1, she is getting frustrated.
Coach: I can't blame her, your whistle was real late.
Me: May have been a little late coach but it was clearly a foul.
Coach: Yea but your whistle should have been faster...
Me (interupting): It was just a comment coach and I will try to have a faster whistle.

The coach starts to complain about the call (the one he just admitted was a foul) and continues on about the whistle. I say "Let it go, coach." and move away about a step and a half. He then starts complaining about the other two fouls my partner called. I tell him "We're done coach, that's enough"...he continues so I repeat it and put my hand up in a stop sign. While my hand is still up he keeps going so I leave it up and say "Last chance coach...that's enough."

He increases the volume a little but keeps going...Whack.

After I told my partner the situation and go to administer the shots while she tells him he is seatbelted the remainder of the game I couldn't help but wonder if I had baited him into a T.

There was a member of our chapter working the clock (he is affiliated with that school). At half time I ask him to join us since he heard the interaction. He didn't think I baited him but I want further input.

Thanks
The one thing that stands out for me is: Why would you EVER try to have a "faster whistle?" Sometimes contact happens and you need to wait to see if it causes a disadvantage. The idi....er....people in the stands and on the benches don't understand that, but that doesn't mean you should try to have a quick whistle.

I would've talked to the player, not the coach.
Old Sat Jan 14, 2006, 10:45am
Official Forum Member

Don't agree with the coach that you had a late whistle. Tell him you have a patient whistle because you want to make sure you see the whole play and don't want to anticipate and get the call wrong.
Old Sat Jan 14, 2006, 10:56am
In Memoriam

Quote:
Originally posted by Rich Fronheiser
Quote:
Originally posted by LarryS
I didn't want to T her and give her a 4th foul so I decide to do some preventative offiating.

I would've talked to the player, not the coach.

Agree, that's preventive officiating. If "star player" doesn't wanna listen, oh well.....

The coach's best player just got 3 fouls called against her. Even if they were obvious calls, the coach is still gonna be a little pissed. Keep away from him and let him cool down a little and get over it.
Old Sat Jan 14, 2006, 10:57am
In Memoriam

Arrow

Quote:
Originally posted by tomegun
I think the whole interaction was too long, especially since you gave him information to help him. You didn't have to try to help him but since you did you should have cut the conversation short and showed him the backside.
I agree, tomegun.
LarryS could have turned away, but that coach, unfortunately caught LarryS in a chatty mood that night.
mick
Old Sat Jan 14, 2006, 11:16am
Official Forum Member

Send a message via AIM to Dan_ref

If that's all she did I don't think I would have said anything to the player at that moment unless I knew her as the type who could be talked down. Would have definitely not gone to the coach. Agree the discussion did go on way too long, should have moved away when he gave you the late whistle BS. IMO a coach loses a lot of credibility when he starts in with that and I don't ever discuss the timing of my whistle with a coach, the only thing I say is that the call was correct, period. IMO there's no way to win a late whistle discussion.
Old Sat Jan 14, 2006, 12:33pm
Official Forum Member

Thanks for the feedback. I like the "patient whistle"...wish I would have thought of that.

I first intent was to speak with the player but she went to the far side of the court and it would have drawn attention to us if I had walked over. Since it was already becoming intense I wanted to address it quick and figured the coach was the next best thing.

I have to agree that I let the conversation go too long...probably the result of me being there by him while the free throws were happening. Looking back now, I should have moved another step onto the floor and down lowere than normal so I could have completely turned my back to him.

Oh well...you live and learn. At least the home team came out in the second half and took the visitors apart (out scored them something like 32 - 4).
Old Sat Jan 14, 2006, 03:17pm
Official Forum Member

Where were your partners? If I'm the non-calling official in this case, I'm heading over to do the preventive officiting with the player. In this case I would tell them I understand that you're frustrated and why your frustrated, but we don't need to see you throw up your hands on the floor. I'm becoming more and more a believer that officials shouldn't initiate conversations with coaches. Nothing good seems to come of it for the most part. I don't think you baited him, but it might not have been the best time to initiate a conversation.
Old Sat Jan 14, 2006, 03:31pm
Official Forum Member

Of course the temptation is there to say, "Coach if you thought that whistle was late, you are gonna love this one."

As you give his stud PG the T, you were trying to help the nimrod avoid.
Old Sat Jan 14, 2006, 03:32pm
Official Forum Member

Send a message via AIM to rainmaker
Quote:
Originally posted by Dan_ref

If that's all she did I don't think I would have said anything to the player at that moment unless I knew her as the type who could be talked down.
What about going to the captain rather than the coach? I've never tried this, but I've heard it can be effective if done right.
Old Sat Jan 14, 2006, 04:44pm
Get away from me, Steve.

Quote:
Originally posted by rainmaker
Quote:

If that's all she did I don't think I would have said anything to the player at that moment unless I knew her as the type who could be talked down.
What about going to the captain rather than the coach? I've never tried this, but I've heard it can be effective if done right.
OK, honest question -- how many people remember who the captain is after getting the numbers at the captain's meeting? I will have the numbers in order to ask each captain if he/she is ready for the tip, but I usually lose it after that.
Old Sat Jan 14, 2006, 04:50pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Quote:
Originally posted by rainmaker
Quote:

OK, honest question -- how many people remember who the captain is after getting the numbers at the captain's meeting? I will have the numbers in order to ask each captain if he/she is ready for the tip, but I usually lose it after that.
I try to remember the names and the numbers of one of the captains on each team throughout the game. I don't ask for a "speaking captain" in FED games, though.

Old Sat Jan 14, 2006, 06:23pm
In Memoriam

Quote:
[/B]
OK, honest question -- how many people remember who the captain is after getting the numbers at the captain's meeting? I will have the numbers in order to ask each captain if he/she is ready for the tip, but I usually lose it after that. [/B][/QUOTE]Guilty. I'll talk to anyone if they're polite, but I usually couldn't tell you who the captains are though, if asked.
Old Sat Jan 14, 2006, 06:28pm
Official Forum Member

You don't bait someone in a T by 1) trying to get them to keep their players/bench under control; 2) by preventative officiating; or 3) by giving him constant reminders and warnings.