Old Sat Jan 14, 2006, 06:36pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally posted by LarryS
Did I Bait Him Into It?
No.

Old Sat Jan 14, 2006, 08:45pm
Official Forum Member

As many have said you had a long conversation with the coach, you also warned him way to many times. Once you told him that's enough, T him up after that. If you're not going to T him, then don't continue conversation, just walk away. Don't feel like you have to have the last word.

My conversation would have been like this:
Me: Coach you may want to talk to #1, she is getting frustrated.
Coach: I can't blame her, your whistle was real late.
Me: Okay Coach.

If he doesn't want to help out his #1 player then he can't be mad if she gets a T later in the game. I mihgt not even have responded to the comment but that would have been the end of my conversation.
Old Sat Jan 14, 2006, 09:06pm
In Memoriam

Quote:
Originally posted by Jurassic Referee
Quote:
Originally posted by Rich Fronheiser
OK, honest question -- how many people remember who the captain is after getting the numbers at the captain's meeting? I will have the numbers in order to ask each captain if he/she is ready for the tip, but I usually lose it after that. [/B]
Guilty. I'll talk to anyone if they're polite, but I usually couldn't tell you who the captains are though, if asked. [/B][/QUOTE]

I fergit after the tip (...and often before, if I'm umping).
We, too, will talk to anyone. In fact, we sometimes tell all the captains that bit of information at center circle.
mick
Old Sat Jan 14, 2006, 10:24pm
Official Forum Member

As a coach, I would probably have appreciated your comment... although I might have been a little unclear what you meant by "talk to number X." Talk to her and tell her to lay off? (ie: reprimand her more) Talk to her and explain why you called the foul? (ie: assist in teaching a player a little about the game).

My reaction would also depend on how chatty you had been up to that point in the game. If it was clear that you, as a ref, were friendly and interested in teaching, I would appreciate the comment and thank you. If you had thus far not said anything to me or I perceived you as being hostile or unfair, I would be a little more leary...

...but I definitely wouldn't argue with you if I thought you were trying to help. Just my 2 cents. Sounds like this guy deserved the T.
Old Sat Jan 14, 2006, 10:37pm
Aleve Titles to Others

Send a message via AIM to 26 Year Gap
3rd quick foul? Sounds like she was heading to the bench right off quick anyway.
Old Sat Jan 14, 2006, 11:03pm
Official Forum Member

I only give one warning (with the stop sign). Remember, coaches want to vent and they want information. You respond to questions, but not necessarily to comments.
Old Sun Jan 15, 2006, 03:37pm
9 times

I don't think you baited the coach. However, I think it looks bad when an official initiates conversation with the coach and T's him. Sometimmes the coach leaves you no choice. When you sense that the conversation is going on too long or in a direction that you don't want, simply turn away or move away.

My other thought is, how well do you know the coach? Is this a tactic (talking to him) that has worked for you, or others, in the past? If you know this kind of information, remember it. Lots of times you don't and you don't know what to expect so you have to try your best and sometimes (like now) it doesn't work too well.

Officiating is an art, not a science. Things don't always work the way we think they should. Take this experience, learn what you can from it and be better next time.

1999 (2x), 2006, 2008, 2010, 2012, 2014, 2016, 2019
Old Sun Jan 15, 2006, 07:10pm
Get away from me, Steve.

Quote:
Originally posted by Jurassic Referee
Quote:
Originally posted by Rich Fronheiser
OK, honest question -- how many people remember who the captain is after getting the numbers at the captain's meeting? I will have the numbers in order to ask each captain if he/she is ready for the tip, but I usually lose it after that. [/B]
Guilty. I'll talk to anyone if they're polite, but I usually couldn't tell you who the captains are though, if asked. [/B][/QUOTE]

I circle the captains' numbers in the books. If I really need it, I can always find a reason to get that information from the book without anyone knowing I didn't have it in the first place.
Old Sun Jan 15, 2006, 11:08pm
Official Forum Member

Captains are stupid, they get no special treatment with me. I talk to them at the pregame and don't make any point to remember them.

If a non-captain asks you a question are you going to ignore him? I don't, I will talk to anyone as long as they speak respectfully.

If a speaking captain yells at you are you going to give him extra slack because he is a captain. I don't.

Finding out who the speaking captain is dumb and a waste of time, I just do it because its part of the pregame duties.

JMO.
Old Sun Jan 15, 2006, 11:11pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally posted by hooper
As a coach, I would probably have appreciated your comment... although I might have been a little unclear what you meant by "talk to number X." Talk to her and tell her to lay off? (ie: reprimand her more) Talk to her and explain why you called the foul? (ie: assist in teaching a player a little about the game).

My reaction would also depend on how chatty you had been up to that point in the game. If it was clear that you, as a ref, were friendly and interested in teaching, I would appreciate the comment and thank you. If you had thus far not said anything to me or I perceived you as being hostile or unfair, I would be a little more leary...

...but I definitely wouldn't argue with you if I thought you were trying to help. Just my 2 cents. Sounds like this guy deserved the T.
If coach watching the same game I am, then coach probably knows what I'm referring to. If #X is doing some crap and I think you might not see it, I'll probably be more specific. If coach gives me a response like in the original sitch, and/or his player continues to screw up the game then Mr. Fox will sign #X another song.
Old Sun Jan 15, 2006, 11:13pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally posted by Snake~eyes
Captains are stupid, they get no special treatment with me. I talk to them at the pregame and don't make any point to remember them.

If a non-captain asks you a question are you going to ignore him? I don't, I will talk to anyone as long as they speak respectfully.

If a speaking captain yells at you are you going to give him extra slack because he is a captain. I don't.

Finding out who the speaking captain is dumb and a waste of time, I just do it because its part of the pregame duties.

JMO.
I agree with all your statements except I don't get a speaking captain. Oh, and I don't necessarily think captains are stupid.