The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Basketball

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Tue Jan 17, 2006, 10:47am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally posted by just another ref
So if the fans question a call which is unfamiliar and the officials are right, you say nothing then either?
No, I don't. My philosophy (right or wrong) is that I am not there to educate the fans. If it's a call they don't like and if I tried to explain why the official was correct, they generally won't listen anyway. It's sort of like..."Don't confuse me with facts because my mind is already made up". Constantly questioning the officials, and thinking I was aways right, played a big part in my becoming an official. My lovely wife, who wouldn't stand near me on a soccer field or sit with me in the stands, finally told me to put up or shut up.
Old Tue Jan 17, 2006, 11:01am
Official Forum Member

I coached my son in little kids basketball and soccer. I was pleased as punch that he was out there having fun and learning how to get along with kids and learn something about the game and himself. And about dealing with losing and bad calls. If I look back carefully, I can say that the KIDS were the ones who were the LEAST concerned about the referees. The game is for the kids. When I watched my kid play (seasons when I wasn't coaching him), I never said a word about the officials. It just isn't important to me. His enjoyment of the game is most important. Parents need to step back and realize that this is about the kids, not them! I was fortunate to have my kid in leagues where winning was not stressed. There are two concepts of youth sports: (1) pro mode - where trophies and uniforms and winning and standings are important (2) developmental mode - where teaching kids about the sport and getting along are important. Every survey that I have ever seen of kids' attitudes toward sport has resulted in the kids putting FUN as their number one reason for playing. Winning is always ranked #5 or lower.
Old Tue Jan 17, 2006, 11:42am
Official Forum Member

Forksref

I agree with you completely. The FUN stat is something I have known for years. I have always tried to support any kids playing a sport. Most of them are there for fun and to be with friends not to win.

I was the director and ref for the local church league of Upward (which I'm assuming that you are also describing). I then moved to licensed official in baseball / softball, and only the ref for church league.

Now I my oldest plays school ball where it is definitely PRO FORM. I actually found myself very elated when he was traded from the cats to the birds this year. Cats team has an awful coach (and entire family) with language and attitude. Birds coach knows both my son and I from when he coached Upward for me. I happy that on that team winning is not the most important thing, though it is important because of the league. Win at all cost league.