Thread: Bad Call??
View Single Post
Old Sat Jan 14, 2006, 05:28am
Official Forum Member

Did you say you were a BASKETBALL official? It doesnt sound like it to me. Color me suspicious, crayon.

You should be taking no part in criticizing the officials to the parents. How about saying something like "they are right there on the floor, they have the best angle to make the call." How about "They are trained to be in position to make that call." Or "If he passed on it it is because he felt the contact was incidental." How about "come on, do you really think these guys are volunteering their time to purposely skew games?" Or how about "Not all contact is a foul." How about "Just cause they didnt call it doesnt mean they didnt see it. They are focusing on advantage and disadvantage." Or maybe, "heck, they cant call it that tight at this level, neither of the teams would ever cross the freethrow line and the game would take 3 hours." Or better yet "I've got an idea, YOU volunteer to be an official. I can hook you up with the head of the association." Or how about "do you even know what the traveling rule is? And if not, how can you complain about what the officials are calling?" You know, now that I think about it, you could really be doing a great service for officials in your area by helping build awareness. Help teach the parents. But instead you are being part of the problem.

If you actually have a problem with an official, you should quietly be talking to his assigner or commish and expressing your concerns, not talking to other parents and fueling the fire.

And you might want to brush up on the over the back rule, its rule 11-5-9.