View Single Post
Old Sat Jan 07, 2006, 03:50pm
Do not give a damn!!

If you called the foul, you should not have allowed the incorrect situation to take place when shooting FTs. You would likely know better than anyone else what you called. Your partner might not have seen the foul you called and assumed (which he should not do either) that it was two. You allowed the coach to talk your ear off and get you out of what your job is. Tell the coach "I hear you" and walk away. You do not owe the coach an explanation for calls. That is simply a courtesy to talk to the coach at all. Especially if things around you were falling apart, I think it would have been best to go to the proper side of the floor and have a quick word with your partner to get him to be in the proper position.

This is what I am talking about having a certain presence on the floor. Part of your presence is to be able to be a leader on the floor and positively influence your partners in a positive way. Referee Magazine had an article about that very thing ("What Lead Officials Do Better than the Rest") This is one of these situations you have to step up when you are clearly working with an inferior official. Also understand this is an 8th grade game. If you asked this guy and he accepted I would not expect this official to be considered the top official around. For all you know this is the main type of game he can get. If you were not sure of his experience you should have asked him before the game or before you asked him to work with you.

Take this as a learning experience (one of many) and grow from this situation.

Peace