View Single Post
Old Sat Jan 07, 2006, 02:56pm
Official Forum Member

You ever have one of those partners who is so off it makes you both look bad? I was incredibly frustrated last night. I met him at an association meeting, thinking refs in our association know what they are doing. He always stood in the wrong place on free throws, inbound passes, etc. If I called a foul, he ran to the table to report it. He T'd up a coach from across the gym that I was talking to! Because he was so inept, all the coaches and fans are losing it. I couldn't blame them. I just tried to keep everyone calm and ref the best game I could. Here's the question: 8th grade ball, NFHS rules. We have a foul and bonus shots. He's administering shots. I'm not paying full attention (my bad) because of the coach trying to bend my ear. He administers a second free throw after the first shot was missed. The second free throw is missed, but the shooting team rebounds and puts it back in. The other team inbounded the ball while the coach is (rightfully) going ballistic over the second free throw. The other ref got into an argument with the table about whether it was correctable or not. I slunk off into the corner and waited for the game to end. Two more T's and an ejected fan later, it was all over. So, was it correctable? The only thing I am going to correct is choosing my partners more carefully. I did try to suggest to him how he could improve technique, etc, and all he told me was "I ref lots of high school and other ball, and everyone says I do just fine!" I couldn't believe that one. He didn't even do simple things like chop in the clock!