Official Forum Member

Send a message via AIM to ChuckElias
Quote:
Originally posted by Jimgolf
Quote:
Originally posted by SmokeEater
IMO, it would depend on the discreation of the official
Now there's a severe penalty!
That penalty would have to come from the assignor, or somebody with almost as much power. . .

Old Thu Jan 05, 2006, 10:34am
In Memoriam

Quote:
Originally posted by ChuckElias
Quote:
Originally posted by Jimgolf
Quote:
Originally posted by SmokeEater
IMO, it would depend on the discreation of the official
Now there's a severe penalty!
That penalty would have to come from the assignor, or somebody with almost as much power. . .
Old Thu Jan 05, 2006, 06:25pm
Official Forum Member

A quick look at the dialog up till now

Nobody (a quick inspection shows) has mentioned an allied, and in my opinion more serious behavior, a staple of the playground, ducking the head and running at - but ultimately avoiding - the shooter. I will warn on the first drive-by. If the kid does it again, it's a T - if for nothing else unsportsmanlike conduct: not heeding my gracious warning.
Old Thu Jan 05, 2006, 06:30pm
In Memoriam

Re: A quick look at the dialog up till now

Quote:
Originally posted by assignmentmaker
Nobody (a quick inspection shows) has mentioned an allied, and in my opinion more serious behavior, a staple of the playground, ducking the head and running at - but ultimately avoiding - the shooter. I will warn on the first drive-by. If the kid does it again, it's a T - if for nothing else unsportsmanlike conduct: not heeding my gracious warning.
Why aren't I surprised....
Old Thu Jan 05, 2006, 09:17pm
Official Forum Member

A 'T' for ducking the head and running at a shooter? Bad defense and a bad call.

Would you care to explain your reference to this move as a "drive-by" ? Just what does that imply?

Just make the obvious calls, Ref.
Old Thu Jan 05, 2006, 11:15pm
In Memoriam

Re: A quick look at the dialog up till now

Quote:
Originally posted by assignmentmaker
Nope, and I don't think anybody will want to screw up that fast break on the rebound.
mick
Old Fri Jan 06, 2006, 01:48am
Official Forum Member

It's a threat, a taunt

Quote:
Originally posted by carldog
A 'T' for ducking the head and running at a shooter? Bad defense and a bad call.

Would you care to explain your reference to this move as a "drive-by" ? Just what does that imply?

Just make the obvious calls, Ref.
It has nothing to do with playing the game. It's like kicking at a player as he dribbles by and not making contact. Did something happen? Sure it did.

"Just make the obvious calls, Ref."
Old Fri Jan 06, 2006, 03:12pm
Official Forum Member

This is such a "juvenile" move I can't believe we're spending so much time trying to figure out how to handle it.

Simply tell the kid to knock it off - "otherwise I'll tell your mommy on you"..........one childish act deserves another...

Seriously, just hit the kid with a foul or two on the next few possessions when he actually touches somebody and the coach will sit him down or he'll get the message.
Old Wed Apr 01, 2009, 09:37pm
Official Forum Member

Unsportsmanlike conduct is behavior or an act that is unbecoming to a fair,
ethical and honorable individual.

I do not see how anyone can think that attempting to distracting a shooter by faking harmful contact is not unsportsmanlike conduct. It is not ethical, fair, or honorable to distract a player in the act of shooting by pretending to harm them.

For a minor violation I would agree that a warning might be well suited for a first time offense, but calling a T is not beyond the intention of the rules.
Old Wed Apr 01, 2009, 09:51pm
Fav theme: Roundball Rock

Thread resurrected after 3+ years!
Old Wed Apr 01, 2009, 10:44pm
Official Forum Member

Old Thu Apr 02, 2009, 12:57am
In Time Out

anyone here who ACTUALLY still plays basketball knows that a little poke, which some stupid annoying *** people do, can mess up a shot. If no contact is made give a warning then next time call a foul or a T. Make sure it just isn't a stab at the ball or a fake meant to mess up the shooter which would be legal. T would be the third choice but absolutely I agree this is an unsportsmanlike play. If I was in a game and someone kept doing that to me after I warned them then believe me I'm taking the fu%ker out.
I just played so I'm a little hot. no I probably wouldn't do that but I've sent not so subtle messages to make sure it doesn't continue.

kind of cool looking at all these old posts and users who aren't around anymore.

Last edited by mutantducky; Thu Apr 02, 2009 at 01:03am.
Old Thu Apr 02, 2009, 01:38am
Do not give a damn!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by tlynch View Post
I do not see how anyone can think that attempting to distracting a shooter by faking harmful contact is not unsportsmanlike conduct. It is not ethical, fair, or honorable to distract a player in the act of shooting by pretending to harm them.
I have a feeling that in 3 years some of these people might have changed their mind.

Peace
Old Thu Apr 02, 2009, 02:19am
We don't rent pigs

I would think that for the most part this would be a non-issue. The shooter is concentrating on the rim, not the defender. The shooter expects to have a defender come flying at him, and the difference to that shooter in a legitimate block attempt and some kind of weird unsportsmanlike distraction attempt would probably most often not be noticed.

Lonesome Dove
Old Thu Apr 02, 2009, 06:31am
Esteemed Forum Member

Oh, I Thought You Said Three Days, Nevermind ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by JugglingReferee View Post
Thread resurrected after 3 years!
It's Lent.
"For God so loved the world, that he gave his only begotten Son, that whosoever believeth in him should not perish, but have everlasting life." (John 3:16)

“I was in prison and you came to visit me.” (Matthew 25:36)
Closed Thread