The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Basketball
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Sat Dec 17, 2005, 03:59pm
Official Forum Member

Send a message via AIM to PAT THE REF
Hey everyone, - Sorry about the long post… I do need advice.

I first want to apologize for my post about two weeks ago. I made fun of an official who I deemed Mr. Pea. I was a little hard on him – but I felt he needed some coaching. However I need some advice for a senior varsity IABBO official – any help would be greatly appreciated – Thanks in advance – Pat

Today I refereed 2 CYO games in NJ. I had a great time working w/ an official (IABBO & NJ H/s Cert), who was more than grateful...

Second game, I refereed with another IABBO official - it wasn't a pleasant site.

About four months ago I became a cadet for a local NJ association. (An off-shoot from IABBO) Most of the time when I get onto a court I am treated as an official by my partner – but lately I have been working with some officials that once they see I am not wearing the IABBO patch, they treat me like dirt.

Case in point – Today’s second game, about two minutes into it. I am the lead working strong sided under the basket. My partner is table side (ball side), is watching this 5’11” girl steal the ball away and fast break down the court. So – I run down to get into my new position and my partner is walking down, he missed the out-of-bounds on the baseline call. No worry – play on.

So about four plays later, A1 is driving to the paint, (outside of the three point arc), and B2 takes both her hands and pushes A1… I look at my partner who is table side, I am at the low post (L), watching the play. No whistle from him – so I tweet it… At the next dead ball he comes over and says, “Don’t you EVER WHISTLE IN MY AREA!!!! WHO DO YOU THINK YOU ARE?”… With this I just administered the ball and let’s play on.

The rest of the game continued like that. With calls missed because I never blew them – (in my partners/mine Gray Area)… Coaches complained, a girl got smacked in the eye, and no calls from my partner – partner yelling at the timer because he let 2 seconds run off in the first quarter. During half time he says – why don’t you join IABBO? Don’t even get me started on your association… Why don’t you run? You need to get into position...etc…

To make a long story short (I know – too late) here are my questions:
1) Is IABBO an association that interprets the rules differently?
2) Are they any major mechanic differences? (I.e. walking to your spot? Turning your back to leave your partner hanging to watch the whole court while you talk to a parent? Not chopping the clock? Not signaling Foul or Violation?)
3) Should I consider joining IABBO and restarting? (Basically – What can IABBO do for me?)
4) Am I doing the rite thing?
5) Should I call out of my area if my partner doesn’t call it? What if it causes injury?
6) Can my partner change my call?
7) Any hints, tips, or suggestions?

Thank You Again,

PAT
Old Sat Dec 17, 2005, 05:07pm
Official Forum Member

While there are many IAABO members here who can answer your IAABO-specific questions more accurately, let me just share one observation:

What a complete loser of a partner you had!

I'm certified by my state HS association, and have worked with many non-certified officials. There is no excuse for treating a non-certified official unprofessionally and as anything less than an equal partner. If he really thought the patch on his shirt made him "better" than you, he should have made his point by exhibiting the kind of professionalism that one would expect from a certified official.

To your non-IAABO-specific questions:

4) Yes. CYO, Rec ball, Junior Jazz (in my neck of the woods), these are all rites of passage for newer officials. Put your heart and soul into working these games and they'll prepare you to move on to higher levels. Besides, the games are about the kids and they deserve better than what your patched partner was willing to give them.

5) In two-man it is much more acceptable to call out of your area than it is in three-man. Having said that, I hesitate to do it unless it's a gotta have. If there is injury-causing contact and your partner doesn't get it, go get it. If it's an OH MY! miss, go get it. Also, areas are somewhat fluid in the two-man game. For example, if your partner is L and is out at the three-point line watching a matchup, who has the key and low post? That's right, you. If your partner is T and the ball handler is up high, across the court from him, who has the stuff just past the lane? That's right, you. In an "organized" game (HS, etc.) you'd have a pre-game to talk about such things. In lower-level ball, with a bozo for a partner, you gotta take care of business.

6) No. Absolutely No. A good partner will sometimes bring you information that may lead you to change your own call.

7) Mick has some valuable thoughts on this.

Old Sat Dec 17, 2005, 06:54pm
Official Forum Member

Pat,

Sorry to hear about your experience. I am an IAABO official, but that is the only option in Massachusetts. It is a rock-solid organization, with excellent training. It follows NFHS interpreations and mechanics -- with only minor variations. Our rule book and case book are the NFHS rules book and case book. Starting last year, IAABO published its own mechanics manual, but unless you compare line-by-line, you would not notice any significant difference.

Any partner who walks, turns his back, does not chop the clock or does not signal fouls or violations is not following any IAABO-approved mechanic. One of IAABO's major emphasis is that all local boards follow the same mechanics and interpretions. I have worked with IAABO officials from several states as well as different boards in Mass. and they have all received the same training. How well they use it; how much they hustle; how much they like to switch on all fouls has nothing to do with IAABO and everything to do with them as individuals. I know that our board interpretor is relentless in emphasizing proper mechanics at every level. And since I officiate at youth games as well as at high school, I can tell you that not every offical treats the little squirts as seriously as the big ones.

As for joining IAABO, I can't answer that. If you want to officiate in my state, you have to belong to IAABO. You will not get games otherwise. Your state may be different. You really need to talk to non-IAABO officials in your area and see how it works for them.
Old Sat Dec 17, 2005, 08:23pm
Official Forum Member

Bay State Ref

Quote:
Originally posted by BayStateRef
Pat,

Sorry to hear about your experience. I am an IAABO official, but that is the only option in Massachusetts. It is a rock-solid organization, with excellent training. It follows NFHS interpreations and mechanics -- with only minor variations. Our rule book and case book are the NFHS rules book and case book. Starting last year, IAABO published its own mechanics manual, but unless you compare line-by-line, you would not notice any significant difference.

Any partner who walks, turns his back, does not chop the clock or does not signal fouls or violations is not following any IAABO-approved mechanic. One of IAABO's major emphasis is that all local boards follow the same mechanics and interpretions. I have worked with IAABO officials from several states as well as different boards in Mass. and they have all received the same training. How well they use it; how much they hustle; how much they like to switch on all fouls has nothing to do with IAABO and everything to do with them as individuals. I know that our board interpretor is relentless in emphasizing proper mechanics at every level. And since I officiate at youth games as well as at high school, I can tell you that not every offical treats the little squirts as seriously as the big ones.

As for joining IAABO, I can't answer that. If you want to officiate in my state, you have to belong to IAABO. You will not get games otherwise. Your state may be different. You really need to talk to non-IAABO officials in your area and see how it works for them.
You are absolutely incorrect that IAABO is the only option in Massachusetts. Do not bet your house on this. You will lose.
Old Sun Dec 18, 2005, 01:30am
Official Forum Member

Re: Bay State Ref

Quote:
Originally posted by assignmentmaker
Quote:
Originally posted by BayStateRef
Pat,

You are absolutely incorrect that IAABO is the only option in Massachusetts. Do not bet your house on this. You will lose.
You are absolutely awesome at playing gotcha. Okay, smart guy, I'll write for the world, who is just dying for you to tell them: what are the other options?

Way to make a substantive contribution to the discussion.
Old Sun Dec 18, 2005, 09:13am
Official Forum Member

Send a message via AIM to ChuckElias
Re: Re: Bay State Ref

Quote:
Originally posted by jbduke
You are absolutely awesome at playing gotcha. Okay, smart guy, I'll write for the world, who is just dying for you to tell them: what are the other options?

Way to make a substantive contribution to the discussion. [/B][/QUOTE]If we're worried about making a contribution to the board, I'm not sure how your post qualifies, JB. At least Jeff's post, tactless as it may be, pointed out an error of fact. The fact is that IAABO has never been the sole association for basketball officials in MA. There was a time when public HS boys' games used only IAABO officials; but even then, many areas of the state used a different association for girls' games.

And now, some areas use those "girls' association" officials for some boys' games too, even in the state post-season tournament. I'm an IAABO official, and I work with non-IAABO officials at least 4-5 a year in HS games.

So IAABO is not "the only way to go" to officiate in MA, as Jeff pointed out.
Old Sun Dec 18, 2005, 09:53am
Official Forum Member

Send a message via AIM to ChuckElias
Re: Re: Re: Bay State Ref

Quote:
Originally posted by ChuckElias
And now, some areas use those "girls' association" officials for some boys' games too, even in the state post-season tournament.
Now that I re-read this, I'm not sure it's true. The tournament assignor is different from the guy who assigns non-IAABO officials to boys' games in my area. So I don't know for sure how the tournament works. The rest of my post above is correct, tho. Sorry for any confusion.
Old Sun Dec 18, 2005, 10:12am
Official Forum Member

Wow ! What an a#s for a partner

Wow I'm shocked that another official would treat another so rudely, he's very unproffesional and an a#shole to boot! Im not sure how they do things in other states, but in Ohio they frown on calling in partners area BUT, If its obvious and needs to be called. CALL IT!! How arrogant this guys sounds to me!! Pat, did you say anything to him like, Hey A@S call the game correct and worry about off the court stuff later, your just hurting the kids out there!
Old Sun Dec 18, 2005, 12:51pm
Official Forum Member

I didn't want to start more problems with him... So, I did what you guys on the board always told guys with bad partners - just Grin and Bear it - lMFAO - itll be the worst 32 mins of your day but just work on your mechanics..

BTW - I talked to the guy I worked with in the 1st game and he told me that most ref's that ref CYO in NJ that are carded state and been reffin' for a while get lazy.

One more ? - If your the L and your strong sided on the key, if there is a foul underneath - is it your call? or do you let the T take it since the "L" shape is still his area?

Thanks for your advice...
Pat
Old Sun Dec 18, 2005, 01:03pm
Official Forum Member

Send a message via AIM to Dan_ref
Quote:
Originally posted by PAT THE REF
One more ? - If your the L and your strong sided on the key, if there is a foul underneath - is it your call? or do you let the T take it since the "L" shape is still his area?

Pat
If you've come over to the other side you've done so to referee that low post, generally. Yes, it's your call.
Old Sun Dec 18, 2005, 01:05pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally posted by PAT THE REF

Pat
If you have come across the hey, the lower area outside the paint is now yours. There would be no point in coming across if it weren't.
Old Sun Dec 18, 2005, 06:36pm
Official Forum Member

Simple solution, put an IAABO patch on your uniform, no one ever checks to see if you're really a member.
Old Mon Dec 19, 2005, 08:33am
Official Forum Member

Pat,
I am an IAABO Official in Jersey also. I have never had any real issues with the organization. They have been good to me so I can not complain. With that said there some thing that could be improved. IAABO does dominate much of Jersey, and depending on how far you want to advance you may have to go through IAABO at some point. In my opinion CYO basketball is the worst. Form the coaches, to the parents and many of the officials. Your previous partner was correct many CYO ref’s work the games like they don't care; they are just chasing the check. When I was new I had to deal with a CYO ref. that was jack A$$ too. Most of the worst experiences I have had where in CYO. 99% of the IAABO official you will run in to are good guys and can be very helpful. So don’t judge us all by one idiot.

Old Mon Dec 19, 2005, 10:14am
Official Forum Member

I personally have nothing against IABBO, but it was a horrible exp... I learned to just let it go... Was I embarrassed? - yes, Did I want to get away - Yes... But its over now and I pray that I never see that guy again...

The only thing is - I spent over a year in my asc. course and I was told that if I wanted to be IABBO, I would need to start all over again...

I dont want to loose the exp, money, and cert. in my asc. unless its really really worth it...

Pat
Old Mon Dec 19, 2005, 10:45am
Official Forum Member

I can undertand that. I don't think you should have to start over. That is one of the things that should change. I have meet Officials that are members of both associations. I don’t know if that is an option for you. I do know that if you want to work HS games it is a little more difficult if you are not with IAABO.