Thread: IAABO???
View Single Post
Old Sat Dec 17, 2005, 05:07pm
Official Forum Member

While there are many IAABO members here who can answer your IAABO-specific questions more accurately, let me just share one observation:

What a complete loser of a partner you had!

I'm certified by my state HS association, and have worked with many non-certified officials. There is no excuse for treating a non-certified official unprofessionally and as anything less than an equal partner. If he really thought the patch on his shirt made him "better" than you, he should have made his point by exhibiting the kind of professionalism that one would expect from a certified official.

To your non-IAABO-specific questions:

4) Yes. CYO, Rec ball, Junior Jazz (in my neck of the woods), these are all rites of passage for newer officials. Put your heart and soul into working these games and they'll prepare you to move on to higher levels. Besides, the games are about the kids and they deserve better than what your patched partner was willing to give them.

5) In two-man it is much more acceptable to call out of your area than it is in three-man. Having said that, I hesitate to do it unless it's a gotta have. If there is injury-causing contact and your partner doesn't get it, go get it. If it's an OH MY! miss, go get it. Also, areas are somewhat fluid in the two-man game. For example, if your partner is L and is out at the three-point line watching a matchup, who has the key and low post? That's right, you. If your partner is T and the ball handler is up high, across the court from him, who has the stuff just past the lane? That's right, you. In an "organized" game (HS, etc.) you'd have a pre-game to talk about such things. In lower-level ball, with a bozo for a partner, you gotta take care of business.

6) No. Absolutely No. A good partner will sometimes bring you information that may lead you to change your own call.

7) Mick has some valuable thoughts on this.