Thread: IAABO???
View Single Post
Old Sat Dec 17, 2005, 06:54pm
Official Forum Member

Pat,

Sorry to hear about your experience. I am an IAABO official, but that is the only option in Massachusetts. It is a rock-solid organization, with excellent training. It follows NFHS interpreations and mechanics -- with only minor variations. Our rule book and case book are the NFHS rules book and case book. Starting last year, IAABO published its own mechanics manual, but unless you compare line-by-line, you would not notice any significant difference.

Any partner who walks, turns his back, does not chop the clock or does not signal fouls or violations is not following any IAABO-approved mechanic. One of IAABO's major emphasis is that all local boards follow the same mechanics and interpretions. I have worked with IAABO officials from several states as well as different boards in Mass. and they have all received the same training. How well they use it; how much they hustle; how much they like to switch on all fouls has nothing to do with IAABO and everything to do with them as individuals. I know that our board interpretor is relentless in emphasizing proper mechanics at every level. And since I officiate at youth games as well as at high school, I can tell you that not every offical treats the little squirts as seriously as the big ones.

As for joining IAABO, I can't answer that. If you want to officiate in my state, you have to belong to IAABO. You will not get games otherwise. Your state may be different. You really need to talk to non-IAABO officials in your area and see how it works for them.