The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Basketball

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Fri Dec 02, 2005, 12:48pm
Official Forum Member

Ref: "tweet- push foul on B1"
Coach: "But they were both going for a loose ball. You can't have a foul if no one has posession"

Ref: doot-da-doo, da-doot-da-doot!
Coach: "he just dove on the floor and slid, blow your whistle, he just traveled"
Ref: "sigh"

Do they really misuderstand the rules that much or are they just fussing to hear themself talk? These are supposed to be upper level coaches.
Old Fri Dec 02, 2005, 01:12pm
Official Forum Member

Send a message via MSN to crazy voyager
I've got a better one an 8 year old who protested against a 3 second call :P
"But ref, he didn't take part of the play, you can't call three seconds if he's not participating in the play"

awh, somebody fooled me in that gym with these small small boys (i got good payed though, really good actually, probably that's why I took it) I wouldn't excpect that from any player, either, they're young enough not to shut up, and then they don't know the rule (usually) or they're old and smart enough to know I wont change the call anyway.

Old Fri Dec 02, 2005, 01:15pm
Official Forum Member

Send a message via AIM to rainmaker
Quote:
Originally posted by ChrisSportsFan
Coach: "But they were both going for a loose ball. You can't have a foul if no one has posession"

Ref: doot-da-doo, da-doot-da-doot!
Coach: "he just dove on the floor and slid, blow your whistle, he just traveled"
Ref: "sigh"

Do they really misuderstand the rules that much or are they just fussing to hear themself talk? These are supposed to be upper level coaches.
"Upper level" means very, very little. They really do misunderstand the rules that much. "Sigh" is the only reasonable response.
Old Fri Dec 02, 2005, 01:22pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:

I know what you meant, but don't confuse this ignorant coach anymore. You CAN have a foul if no one has possession (sometimes in loose balls, A1 will push B1 to get to it first). How about, "coach, they were both going for a loose ball and contact was inadvertant by both" or something along those lines?

Z
Old Fri Dec 02, 2005, 01:25pm
Official Forum Member

Send a message via AIM to Dan_ref
Quote:

I had a similar play, B1 & A1 both going for the rebound, B1 dives under A1 taking his legs out & upending him. Here's the actual guaranteed to be true conversation I had with coach B as I was standing next to him during the 1&1:

"C'mon Dan, he was going for the ball..."
"Yeah, but he knocked the other guy down."
"OK, but it wasn't intentional."
"Didn't say it was intentional coach."
(Smiling) "All right, but now they're shooting 1&1 and I gotta act like I'm angry."

Old Fri Dec 02, 2005, 01:26pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally posted by zebraman
Quote:

I know what you meant, but don't confuse this ignorant coach anymore. You CAN have a foul if no one has possession (sometimes in loose balls, A1 will push B1 to get to it first). How about, "coach, they were both going for a loose ball and contact was inadvertant by both" or something along those lines?

Z
Zebraman, lol, you be the confused one...the COACH said that, not the official...
Old Fri Dec 02, 2005, 01:28pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally posted by devdog69
Quote:
Originally posted by zebraman
Quote:

Z
Zebraman, lol, you be the confused one...the COACH said that, not the official...
LOL, you are right. TGIF!

Z
Old Fri Dec 02, 2005, 01:45pm
Official Forum Member

I'm glad I'm not the only one who has already had enough of a few coaches. Last night I worked a Freshman double header. We're shooting the bonus BOTH WAYS with 2 minutes left in the first quarter. Visiting coach comes out during the quarter break and wants to know why we're only calling stuff on his team. Unfortunately (or maybe it was a good thing) my partner intercepted him (he knew the guy a little from working some weekend 8th grade aau stuff) and entertained his question. I wanted to give him T #1. Last night was so bad (right around 40 fouls in the first half of both games, late start because the league didn't let the visiting team know that freshman games are played at a middle school, 3 of the visiting coaches got on my nerves complaining instead of teaching their kids to play, and the floor was so slick no one could stop so we had more fouls than we should have). I'm thinking of giving up the lower level stuff. I don't like working 2 man, the quality of play is sometimes (like last night) horrible, and sportsmanship is often not good. I'm just not sure if the extra dollars two or three nights a week is worth the testing of my patience. Okay, done venting. On to tonight's V game. Hopefully it's a good one.
Old Fri Dec 02, 2005, 02:05pm
Official Forum Member

I've determined after my years in stripes and observing the fascinating world of coach's ... they come in all flavors.

Do they know the rules? It's not a prerequisite. I had one friendly coach tell me once that he wanted to know how to "work" the referee's as opposed to knowing and following proper rules.

Coach's are ADVOCATES for their team - not sticklers to rules enforcement. The home crowd doesn't hold them accountable for anything but winning (and playing their kid).

My evidence to these comments can be substantiated by reviewing forums similiar to this one but targeting Coach's. In-Game Strategy comes first, Player motivation second, Practice routines third, Parent issues fourth, followed by School administration issues, Facilities, Scheduling pro's and con's, referee handling, networking for new opportunities, lots on favored instructional video's, uniform quality, Discussions of the triangle or Princton offense and ever so frequently a clarification regarding details of the rules of basketball
Old Fri Dec 02, 2005, 02:18pm
Official Forum Member

Excellent post. I am a recent convert. I was an official who just this year took a JV girls coaching position. I just love teaching the game. Too many coaches arent held accountable for "teaching." To many schools and parents winning is enough. Fortunately many of these coaches get exposed when the talent isnt there.
Old Fri Dec 02, 2005, 02:38pm
Official Forum Member

Send a message via Yahoo to SeanFitzRef
Scramble for a loose ball, one girl DIVES on the back of another girl going for the ball.

Ref: "Tweet! Foul, 42 Blue, push."
Coach: "Aww, c'mon, she was going for the ball!"
Ref: "Not thru her back, coach."
Coach: "Call it both ways then!!!"

Worst part was this idot received a standing ovation from the home crowd as he headed to the locker room. (after we tossed his @$& from the game.)

[Edited by SeanFitzRef on Dec 2nd, 2005 at 03:26 PM]
Old Fri Dec 02, 2005, 03:14pm
Official Forum Member

Let's loose touch with that fascinating aspect of basketball where just about everybody thinks they do know the rules. Naissmith started 100 years ago with only 10 and now we have (unofficailly) over 600.

No sport compares with Basketball's fan involvement in calling and interpreting. Nothing in my experience is even close.

It is a fact that unless your an official your not going to be exposed to rule changes every season. It takes years for those in the cheap seats to learn them from game watching experience.

Thoughts:
Who started the "Over the Back" foul runmor?
Does Grandma know that only the Head one coach can stand?
Do Cheerleaders know the player can step back three feet or even run the baseline?
Will somebody tell Dad that they arn't walking if they don't try to get up?
Sorry Mom, the shirttail thing isn't my idea but it is a rule.

We all need to remember that fan's calls are just participants getting their moneys worth. It's part of the game. And our pay comes out of it.

Our job is enforcing rules and not teaching them.

Old Fri Dec 02, 2005, 03:15pm
Official Forum Member

Me Too Me TOO

My assignors pet peeve is too many jump balls when a foul should have called. So last night Frosh game ball on the floor 2 or 3 kids groppling each other then kid #4 does a piling on.

Tweet

Pushing , I report, coach is ready to pop a blood vessel. "You can't call that-he was going for the ball". I reply " In football that might be considered piling on " Coach : In BB thats okay cause he was going for a loose balll" I sighed, then smiled cause I was having fun....
Old Fri Dec 02, 2005, 03:20pm
Official Forum Member

Let's loose touch with that fascinating aspect of basketball where just about everybody thinks they do know the rules. Naissmith started 100 years ago with only 10 and now we have (unofficailly) over 600.

No sport compares with Basketball's fan involvement in calling and interpreting. Nothing in my experience is even close.

It is a fact that unless your an official your not going to be exposed to rule changes every season. It takes years for those in the cheap seats to learn them from game watching experience.

Thoughts:
Who started the "Over the Back" foul runmor?
Does Grandma know that only the Head one coach can stand?
Do Cheerleaders know the player can step back three feet or even run the baseline?
Will somebody tell Dad that they arn't walking if they don't try to get up?
Sorry Mom, the shirttail thing isn't my idea but it is a rule.

We all need to remember that fan's calls are just participants getting their moneys worth. It's part of the game. And our pay comes out of it.

Our job is enforcing rules and not teaching them.

Old Fri Dec 02, 2005, 03:28pm
Official Forum Member

Bad Coaching Experience

My worst night came at Girl's JV Game, the Coach was a middle aged woman. I called a Free Throw Violation on her Center for having her toe across the line.

The woman runs off the bench and gets right in my face. She screamed,

"You are the poorest excuse for an Official I ever saw! You are stupid, fat, out of shape and a sloppy PIG! You never played a minute of basketball or any other sport. You are so damn lazy that you'd need the Huble Telescope to make those calls. You're useless, hopeless and clueless....I hope you die!" She spit in my eye.

I was really hurt. My feelings were shattered. After that night holidays at my mother's were never the same.