The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Basketball
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Tue Nov 29, 2005, 12:10pm
Official Forum Member

The play wasn't difficult, but I had to pause for a second and get with my partner.

Team A shooting second (of 2 or 1 and 1; don't recall) free throws. B41 steps into lane early and I (as the lead) have delayed dead ball signal. Free throw does not touch rim prompting my partner to call a violation (his whistle was before mine).

So, we get together and I ask if we had a held ball for simultaneous violations, but then realized it wasn't a simultaneous violation -- Team B committed a violation first; only the dead ball part was simultaneous. We reshoot the second shot.

Its just weird that I've never seen this before or given it any thought. That's why I'm posting it here.
Old Tue Nov 29, 2005, 12:15pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally posted by Texas Aggie
The play wasn't difficult, but I had to pause for a second and get with my partner.

Team A shooting second (of 2 or 1 and 1; don't recall) free throws. B41 steps into lane early and I (as the lead) have delayed dead ball signal. Free throw does not touch rim prompting my partner to call a violation (his whistle was before mine).

So, we get together and I ask if we had a held ball for simultaneous violations, but then realized it wasn't a simultaneous violation -- Team B committed a violation first; only the dead ball part was simultaneous. We reshoot the second shot.

Its just weird that I've never seen this before or given it any thought. That's why I'm posting it here.
Read rule 9-1-10 (Penalities 4b) and see if you think you should have shot the free throw over again.

Z
Old Tue Nov 29, 2005, 12:25pm
Official Forum Member

Based on my interpretation of that rule zebraman, the replay shot should not have been done and team B should have gotten the ball for throw-in?
Old Tue Nov 29, 2005, 12:59pm
Official Forum Member

casebook 9.1.6 A (b)..is similar, but the free trow shooter steps on the free throw line while releasing the throw. Ruling is double violation..go to AP
Old Tue Nov 29, 2005, 01:01pm
Official Forum Member

and, being born in New Jersey, we call it a "trow"
Old Tue Nov 29, 2005, 01:19pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:

Since you referred to your partner as a partner verses partners....why would both of you blow the whistle? It's the trail's call.
Old Tue Nov 29, 2005, 01:22pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally posted by BBallfanatic
Based on my interpretation of that rule zebraman, the replay shot should not have been done and team B should have gotten the ball for throw-in?
I don't have my books to read the rule but when B1 comes in the lane early, you would "fist straight out" and when/if A1 misses his free throw, you give him another try.
Old Tue Nov 29, 2005, 01:35pm
MABO Member

My interpretation of the rule is double violation, whistled at the point the shooting team violates. Go to AP rule.

NCAA rule 9-2 Art. 3 A.R. 7

All references/comments are intended for educational purposes. Opinions are free.
Old Tue Nov 29, 2005, 01:39pm
Official Forum Member

It is a double violation unless you rule that B coming in early disconcerted the shooter.
Old Tue Nov 29, 2005, 01:39pm
Official Forum Member

Send a message via MSN to IREFU2 Send a message via Yahoo to IREFU2
I agree, another free throw should have been given due to the lane violation.
Old Tue Nov 29, 2005, 01:42pm
Official Forum Member

Send a message via AIM to Dan_ref
Quote:
Originally posted by ChrisSportsFan
Quote:

Since you referred to your partner as a partner verses partners....why would both of you blow the whistle? It's the trail's call.
Why not?
Old Tue Nov 29, 2005, 01:52pm
Official Forum Member

4. If there is a violation first by the free-thrower's opponent followed by the free thrower or a teammate:

a. If both offenders are in a marked lane-space, the second violation is ignored, as in penalty item (2).

b. If the second violation is by the free thrower or a teammate behind the free-throw line extended and the three-point line, both violations are penalized, as in penalty item (3).

c. If a violation by the free thrower follows disconcertion by an opponent, a substitute free throw shall be awarded.

d. If a fake by an opponent causes the free thrower or a teammate of the free thrower to violate, only the fake is penalized.
Old Tue Nov 29, 2005, 01:59pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally posted by IREFU2
That's wrong.

If there are two (non-simultaneous) LANE violations (i.e., 9-1-6, 9-1-7), then only penalize the first.

If there's a LANE violation followed by a different FT violation (person behind the three-point line enters early, thrower over the line, thrower misses the rim), then penalize them both (unless you think the second was due to disconcertion).
Old Tue Nov 29, 2005, 02:03pm
Official Forum Member

Send a message via MSN to IREFU2 Send a message via Yahoo to IREFU2
Quote:
Originally posted by bob jenkins
Quote:
That's wrong.

If there are two (non-simultaneous) LANE violations (i.e., 9-1-6, 9-1-7), then only penalize the first.

If there's a LANE violation followed by a different FT violation (person behind the three-point line enters early, thrower over the line, thrower misses the rim), then penalize them both (unless you think the second was due to disconcertion).

thanks for correcting me, but if the person clearly steps in the lane, before the ball is released, you are saying its a double violation? If so, I was wrong. BTW, dont blunt with your answers. SMILE!!!!!
Old Tue Nov 29, 2005, 02:20pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally posted by bob jenkins
Quote:
That's wrong.

What you're saying is correct in another stitch but not in this one. He said B41 entered the lane early then the freethrower air-balled it. The official has already held up his signal for the kid coming in early so why would you not give the shooter another try after the disconcertion?