The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Basketball
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Mon Nov 21, 2005, 12:01pm
Official Forum Member

Send a message via Yahoo to SeanFitzRef
How many officials actually call 3-seconds according to the rule? Who applies it only when it provides a real advantage? If A5 is camped out in the lane for 10 seconds, but never touches the ball, do you waste the whistle?

Got into a discussion about this over the weekend, and was criticized (if you want to call it that) for how I use/apply this rule. I give verbal warnings to "get out, get moving", but I don't penalize unless the player in question actually receives the ball. This is the way most assignors that I work for advise to handle the 3-second call, so as not to interrupt the game flow. Just wondering how others handle this.
Old Mon Nov 21, 2005, 12:13pm
Official Forum Member

Send a message via AIM to rainmaker
Quote:
Originally posted by SeanFitzRef
How many officials actually call 3-seconds according to the rule? Who applies it only when it provides a real advantage? If A5 is camped out in the lane for 10 seconds, but never touches the ball, do you waste the whistle?

Got into a discussion about this over the weekend, and was criticized (if you want to call it that) for how I use/apply this rule. I give verbal warnings to "get out, get moving", but I don't penalize unless the player in question actually receives the ball. This is the way most assignors that I work for advise to handle the 3-second call, so as not to interrupt the game flow. Just wondering how others handle this.
There are other advantages that can be gained, and I watch for those too. Screening is a great example. I will let it go six or seven, maybe even eight as long as there's no obvious advantage, but after that, I'll often call it, just to bust up the play. Also, I'll call it right away, if the player is doing the lifting the foot dodge. Don't want her to think that's legal.
Old Mon Nov 21, 2005, 12:14pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:

Hypothetically, 10 seconds in the lane should draw a whistle. I usually try my best to chase guys out or get a captain to chase them out (1st Q) but I will not embarrase myself or my crew by letting someone grow roots in there.
Old Mon Nov 21, 2005, 12:16pm
Official Forum Member

Send a message via Yahoo to Indy_Ref
Question

Don't know what to tell you about this. There seems to be a general disdain for making this call amongst officials. I called this the other night in an NAIA game on a team who was up 20 in the first half...and the player I called it on was in the lane at least 10 seconds! At halftime, one of the officials who was on the game before me and stayed to watch a half of our game said, "That is probably the first 3-second call this conference has seen in years."

I took that as he didn't really like the call. I HARDLY ever make the call myself. That being said, I still believe this call should be made if necessary.

Now...how one defines "necessary" is another matter.
Old Mon Nov 21, 2005, 12:18pm
Official Forum Member

I see no problem with talking to players and getting them out of the lane, especially if it's not affecting the play at all. My usual way of addressing this is to say, "get out of the lane, get out of the lane," and if they're not at least moving out by the second time I've said it, I call the violation. Also, almost no coach, fans, or players understand that with article 3 included, 3 seconds is not a literal 3 seconds.
Old Mon Nov 21, 2005, 12:22pm
Official Forum Member

Talking

On the humorous side of this...I filled in a JH date a few seasons ago with a pretty big official in the area (a tournament official for quite a few years). In the B game a fan is all over the guy about calling 3 seconds. The fan at one point screams out "how long are you going to let her stay in the lane!" My partner calls his time. Walks over to the guy and says, "In a 7th grade B game, until the quarter runs out." Not anything I'd do or reccommend anyone els do, but it almost made me swallow my whistle I was laughing so hard. We didn't hear from the "3 seconds" guy for the rest of the game.
Old Mon Nov 21, 2005, 12:47pm
Official Forum Member

When a helpful Coach yells,

"How about 3 seconds, Ref?

I stiffen my body and kind of bristle all over. I might even go into several involuntary eye tics. I start to drag my left leg like Igor. There can be drool involved....if the ball is still in the backcourt or is being tapped.

Then when the ball changes pocession, I wait until it crosses 1/2 court. I will have been hyper-ventilating for a few seconds by this time. No matter where I'm at, I keep my eyes glued on his Center's feet. Silently, I say a prayer and promise God that if he gives me this one Call...I'll never be a bad Ref, again.

Works sometimes......
Old Mon Nov 21, 2005, 12:59pm
Official Forum Member

Send a message via AIM to Dan_ref
Quote:
Originally posted by rainmaker
Quote:

There are other advantages that can be gained, and I watch for those too. Screening is a great example. I will let it go six or seven, maybe even eight as long as there's no obvious advantage, but after that, I'll often call it, just to bust up the play. Also, I'll call it right away, if the player is doing the lifting the foot dodge. Don't want her to think that's legal.
What dodge is that again?
Old Mon Nov 21, 2005, 01:04pm
Official Forum Member

Send a message via MSN to crazy voyager
I let players be in for a few secs (5-6), then I start counting with my hand, showing that I*m counting, usually they get moving then, if not, I call the violation.
With younger players (on low baskets and such) I tend to call "watch the 3-seconds" or "get moving" and they'll mvoe. There's no need to call 3-secs on the small ones unless they stay in there forever, but the older they get, the harder I call it. With our oldest girls I don't warn either, I sikmply call it, but they're so good that thye stay out automaticly anyway :P so it's not many calls anyway.
Old Mon Nov 21, 2005, 01:07pm
Official Forum Member

Some Refs let you "dodge" a 3-second call. Works like this:

A1 has been in the paint for 3 seconds while the ball is in Team Control in the front court. Knowing he/she is in trouble, the player stops and looks their wrist in wide-eye amasement. They then slap the side of their head with the other hand - palm open - and procede to leave the lane in obvious embarrassment.
Old Mon Nov 21, 2005, 01:13pm
Official Forum Member

Send a message via AIM to Dan_ref
LOL!

I sometimes hear them exclaim "My my my my where did the time GO!!???"
Old Mon Nov 21, 2005, 01:29pm
Official Forum Member

Interesting, because I have worked wtih 'Newbies' (1 or 2 years) that call it often, until they are 'broken' of that habit. I have worked with the 'over-officious' (new board word!!) types that swear they are awesome refs, and call it every chance they get. I have worked with college and CBA officials that don't call it at all unless a player or coach gets under their skin. Like I posted earlier, I call it only when there is a definite advantage gained. Posting up on the block, backing defender down without ball, in at least 5 seconds, then the ball is set up on the same side and a pass is forced in. After I have given the verbal warning a couple of times.

What I really hate is the 'A$$istant coaches' on the sidelines (fans & parents) that miss a really good basketball game because they only see players standing in the paint!! LOL!
Old Mon Nov 21, 2005, 01:39pm
Official Forum Member

I don't understand how you can't call it if the player has not gotten out after a second warning. You are just telling them that you will not call it and that they can stay in there all day. They may not get the ball but many times they will get advantageous rebounding position.
Old Mon Nov 21, 2005, 01:50pm
Official Forum Member

True, but when the shot goes up, the 3-second count is eliminated. Also, advantageous position can be gained from a push, elbow, etc.
Old Mon Nov 21, 2005, 01:56pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
True, but when the shot goes up, the 3-second count is eliminated. Also, advantageous position can be gained from a push, elbow, etc.
I know the 3 second count stops when a shot is taken but the does not eliminate the advantageous position gained while in the paint for 10 seconds before the shot was taken. Also, wouldn't you call a foul on a push, elbow, ect?