The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Basketball
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Mon Nov 21, 2005, 02:16pm
Official Forum Member

Send a message via AIM to stewcall
Ok I'll take the other side of the debate. A player is in the lane for 5 second---- no advantage---- His teamate now takes a shot------We now have a BIG advantage----- No one is waving the shot off because the 3 second violation occurred before the shot. And you certainly will not be waving it during the shot...
Give them the warning--- then call the violation---- called early---- the problem is taken care of. Called forthe first time in the third quarter and you'll have a riot on your hand
Stew in VA
Old Mon Nov 21, 2005, 02:46pm
Official Forum Member

Without reading the thread beyond your statement

Quote:
Originally posted by SeanFitzRef
How many officials actually call 3-seconds according to the rule? Who applies it only when it provides a real advantage? If A5 is camped out in the lane for 10 seconds, but never touches the ball, do you waste the whistle?

Got into a discussion about this over the weekend, and was criticized (if you want to call it that) for how I use/apply this rule. I give verbal warnings to "get out, get moving", but I don't penalize unless the player in question actually receives the ball. This is the way most assignors that I work for advise to handle the 3-second call, so as not to interrupt the game flow. Just wondering how others handle this.
I would note that there is an inherent advantage gained by hanging out in the lane. For one thing, someone has to guard you, more or less, so you're affecting the way the defense can play.
Old Tue Nov 22, 2005, 12:27pm
Official Forum Member

Send a message via Yahoo to SeanFitzRef
Quote:
Originally posted by David M
Quote:
Originally posted by SeanFitzRef
True, but when the shot goes up, the 3-second count is eliminated. Also, advantageous position can be gained from a push, elbow, etc.
I know the 3 second count stops when a shot is taken but the does not eliminate the advantageous position gained while in the paint for 10 seconds before the shot was taken. Also, wouldn't you call a foul on a push, elbow, etc?
Sorry for the delayed reply....

Ofcourse I would call that foul, either way. Here in lies the 'dilemma'...
Pregame with partner, discussed exact situation of 3 seconds calls. I rarely like to use them, partner almost never. Players not standing in the middle of the lane, maybe on the block, high at the top of the lane near free throw line. at least two defenders between player and basket. Where is the advantage? A lot of teams play zone in this league.
Old Tue Nov 22, 2005, 01:18pm
Official Forum Member

Last night I worked a jamboree for an assignor that I really want to work for in my area. He was there watching and giving his take on what we were doing right and wrong. One of the things mentioned to me was that I called a 3 second violation without talking to the player first. He was completely right and 9 out of 10 times I would have said something before the whistle, but for some reason, last night I didn't.
Old Tue Nov 22, 2005, 04:25pm
Official Forum Member

Re: Without reading the thread beyond your statement

Quote:
Originally posted by assignmentmaker
[QUOTE
I would note that there is an inherent advantage gained by hanging out in the lane. For one thing, someone has to guard you, more or less, so you're affecting the way the defense can play.
[/B][/QUOTE]
Well put.
Old Tue Nov 22, 2005, 04:45pm
Official Forum Member

I believe in preventative officiating on this one.

I also believe the level of play is a factor.

Warn them once, warn them twice. Could be two warnings on one possession if the camping is blatant. "Out of the lane, 4-2." "4-2, out of there."

I played post. I heard what the ref said. These kids hear it too. Two warnings is enough.

Third time if they are in there for 5 seconds (aka a real real long 3 seconds) its a whistle. It is a huge advantage, if for nothing other than rebounding position, to be in the lane even if the player doesnt touch the ball.

Dont ever visibly count 3 seconds, in my humble opinion.

That said, this should not be your marquee call of the night. You dont want to go home saying "boy, I made the greatest 3 second call tonite." You call it becuase after a few fair warnings the player MADE you call it.

I dont think you can just let it go (unless you are at real low levels of play like bad junior high). Even girls C (Freshman). I think you warn, warn, call. You are getting them ready for the next level.
Old Tue Nov 22, 2005, 04:56pm
Official Forum Member

I address this in pre-game. I tell players they'll hear us chirping at them to move in and out of the lane, in hopes that we don't blow a whistle every 4 1/2 seconds. On the other hand, I don't like letting someone camp in there only to get the ball for an easy shot when they overstayed their welcome. Just be consistent!
Old Tue Nov 22, 2005, 05:27pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally posted by cdaref
It is a huge advantage, if for nothing other than rebounding position, to be in the lane even if the player doesnt touch the ball. ...

I think you warn, warn, call. You are getting them ready for the next level.
Two points to answer two points...

1) In the area where I ref, the higher up you go in levels, the less it's called. I've seen it called more on the Freshman girls level and jr high than I do in varsity, JV, or college games.

2) A lot of offenses are now incorporating the three point shot more and more, hence longer rebounds. Less advantage than you think. Broke into the varsity ranks last year, and was told before one of my first games of the season - pretty specifically, I might add - to "avoid the 3-seconds, or buy the first 3 rounds after the game". Said in joking tone, but the message was pretty simple. Avoid 'game interrupting calls' where possible.
Old Tue Nov 22, 2005, 07:14pm
Official Forum Member

I agree its called less the higher you go, but I also think it happens less blatently the higher you go. I dont see V boys camp in the key the same way Fr Girls or Boys do. I like to think a part of that is because we whistle the 8 seconds in the key at the lower level. You do see people at higher levels push the envelope of being in there too long but it isnt as bad (in my humble opinion) at the higher levels. So I think you might have causation reversed on that one. It isnt that it is called less but is happening the same. I think it is happening less at those higher levels.

And I agree with you about call the 3 buy three rounds. I dont think that means dont call it. It means lets not have cheesy technical 3 second calls. This is probably the best example of a violation NOT to call strictly by the book. See the "Tower Principle" post.

I think we are saying the same thing. But I still think there is a place for the call. Let it call itself.
Old Fri Nov 25, 2005, 11:31am
Official Forum Member

This does become a consistency issue, however. That's why this discussion is helpful and important.

One night, the crew calls it tight, the next night, the different crew doesn't see things the same way. Drives a coach nuts!
Old Fri Nov 25, 2005, 12:51pm
Official Forum Member

Yeah, Buck, but a lot depends on the crew you work with, and if it is discussed in pregame. Different assignors, different philosophies. Inner city games (CPS) assignors want us to call it less, worry more about the contact fouls and cleaning up the game. Southern suburbs, more structured offenses, worry less about contact but more technical in-game calls.

BTW, if the 3-second count is wiped out by the try, how can you justify calling 3-seconds when a shot goes up, even if it gives a player a rebounding advantage? I often let it go when I know a shot is going up, but if there is an extra pass... TWEET!