View Single Post
Old Mon Nov 21, 2005, 12:59pm
Official Forum Member

Send a message via AIM to Dan_ref
Quote:
Originally posted by rainmaker
Quote:
Originally posted by SeanFitzRef
How many officials actually call 3-seconds according to the rule? Who applies it only when it provides a real advantage? If A5 is camped out in the lane for 10 seconds, but never touches the ball, do you waste the whistle?

Got into a discussion about this over the weekend, and was criticized (if you want to call it that) for how I use/apply this rule. I give verbal warnings to "get out, get moving", but I don't penalize unless the player in question actually receives the ball. This is the way most assignors that I work for advise to handle the 3-second call, so as not to interrupt the game flow. Just wondering how others handle this.
There are other advantages that can be gained, and I watch for those too. Screening is a great example. I will let it go six or seven, maybe even eight as long as there's no obvious advantage, but after that, I'll often call it, just to bust up the play. Also, I'll call it right away, if the player is doing the lifting the foot dodge. Don't want her to think that's legal.
What dodge is that again?