The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Basketball
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Fri Nov 18, 2005, 01:59pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally posted by djskinn
If A1 is driving to the basket, can B1 set-up directly underneath the basket and take a charge?
High School rules (and philosophy) are designed to keep play from getting too rough. An official who won't make this player-control call (college philosophy) is just asking for more out-of-control drives later in the game. Make a good charge call (even if the defender is standing under the basket) and players driving to the hoop will learn to stop and pass when they see a defender in their path.

Z
Old Fri Nov 18, 2005, 03:40pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally posted by rockyroad
Quote:
Originally posted by Nate1224hoops
Good points guys, but I am still wonder how to call it? Is there a rule stating that a position under the basket isn't a legal guarding posion. How should we call it??
If you are doing a HS game, it's a PC foul (assuming the defnder had LGP and all that)...if doing an NCAA Women's game, it is either a no-call or a block based on their rule-set...if doing a NCAA Men's game, it's eiter a no-call or a PC foul based on their rules-set...if doing an NBA game, it's a block since they have the restraining circle...

Dang it - Munchkin #1 beat me to it!
It is not always a block in the NBA if they are in the restraining circle. It depends on if the player was the primary defender or not or if the offensive player started in the lower defensive zone.
Old Fri Nov 18, 2005, 03:57pm
In Memoriam

Arrow

Quote:
Originally posted by zebraman
...and players driving to the hoop will learn to stop and pass when they see a defender in their path.
Shoot, Z! Shoot, Z!
I wasn't a scorer, but even I would stop and pop.
mick
Old Fri Nov 18, 2005, 04:19pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Good points guys, but I am still wonder how to call it? Is there a rule stating that a position under the basket isn't a legal guarding posion. How should we call it??
There's a specific FED case on this somewhere in 10.
Old Fri Nov 18, 2005, 04:28pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally posted by bob jenkins
Quote:
10.6.1 SITUATION C: B1 is standing behind the plane of the backboard before A1 jumps for a lay-up shot. The forward momentum causes airborne shooter A1 to charge into B1. RULING: B1 is entitled to the position obtained legally before A1 left the floor....if B1 moves into the path of A1 after A1 has left the floor, the foul is on B1.
Old Fri Nov 18, 2005, 04:34pm
In Memoriam

Quote:
Quote:
Case book play 10.6.1SitC:

B1 is standing behind the plane of the backboard before A1 jumps for a lay-up shot. The forward momentum causes airborne shooter A1 to charge into B1.
RULING: B1 is entitled to the position obtained legally before A1 left the floor. If the ball goes through the basket before or after the contact occurs, the player-control foul cancels the goal...
Old Fri Nov 18, 2005, 04:37pm
In Memoriam

Quote:
Originally posted by djskinn
Quote:
Quote:
10.6.1 SITUATION C: B1 is standing behind the plane of the backboard before A1 jumps for a lay-up shot. The forward momentum causes airborne shooter A1 to charge into B1. RULING: B1 is entitled to the position obtained legally before A1 left the floor....if B1 moves into the path of A1 after A1 has left the floor, the foul is on B1.
You left out the most important part of the ruling. If the defender had a legal guarding position, it's a player-control foul. If the defender didn't have LGP, it's a block.
Old Fri Nov 18, 2005, 04:41pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally posted by mick
Quote:
Originally posted by zebraman
...and players driving to the hoop will learn to stop and pass when they see a defender in their path.
Shoot, Z! Shoot, Z!
I wasn't a scorer, but even I would stop and pop.
mick
You are 100% right Mick. I don't know what I was thinking. When I played, I never met a shot I didn't like and I thought I was in range when I crossed halfcourt. I'm either getting old or I've seen too many "pure" point guards lately. Maybe both.

Z