View Single Post
Old Fri Nov 18, 2005, 01:04pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally posted by Jurassic Referee

Why wouldn't anyone -except someone doing NCAA wimmen- call a charge under the basket if the defender had LGP and an airborne shooter knocked him into the third row?
Dang, he beat me to it. I was going to throw in my two cents (now only worth about 3/4), that in NCAA-W, in the Appendix under "Legal Defense", it says, "A defender who establishes a position directly under the cylinder or behind the backboard when a dribbler becomes an airborne shooter is not in legal guarding position, regardless if she got to the spot first. Exception: When a dribbler takes a path parallel with the endline, the defender's position directly under the cylinder or behind the backboard is a legal guarding position." So, iow, in a "north-south" drive, the defender can't draw the charge under the basket, but could in an "east-west" drive.

So, I guess it's not a rules myth, depending on the rules set you are using. I agree with Chuck that there are many (ok, more than a few) who use this philosophy in NFHS games as well.

(Used with permission.)