The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Basketball

Reply
 
LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
  #1 (permalink)  
Old Wed Nov 02, 2005, 05:21pm
Official Forum Member
 
Join Date: Oct 2003
Location: Suwanee Georgia
Posts: 1,050
I want to bring this up again for clarification. If you have references and case plays to support your position, that would be helpful.

Here's the scenario.

A1 rebounds the ball at B's basket. He's confused (Hey it could happen, he's a teenager!) and puts up a shot at the wrong goal.

Situation A: A2 Goal Tends. Is this actual goal tending? This was not a legitimate attempt since the shot was at the wrong goal, correct?

Situation B: B2 Goal Tends. Same question. Is this goal tending?

In situation A and B, is the ball live and we just play on? No points are awarded, correct?

Situation C: A2 commits Basket Interference. Do we credit two points to B? This is offensive BI but at the wrong basket.

Situation D: B2 commits Basket Interference. Do we credit two points to B? Surely not! This is defensive BI but its at the wrong goal. Do we credit two points to A? If so, why? If there had been no BI and the ball went in, we would credit two points to team B.

Thanks!



__________________
Gwinnett Umpires Association
Multicounty Softball Association
Multicounty Basketball Officials Association
Reply With Quote
  #2 (permalink)  
Old Wed Nov 02, 2005, 05:56pm
Official Forum Member
 
Join Date: Aug 2001
Location: Western Mass.
Posts: 9,104
Send a message via AIM to ChuckElias
Quote:
Originally posted by rwest
A1 rebounds the ball at B's basket. He's confused (Hey it could happen, he's a teenager!) and puts up a shot at the wrong goal.
Not possible. There's your first mistake. Gotta know the definition of "try".

Quote:
Situation A: A2 Goal Tends. Is this actual goal tending?
Gotta know the definition of "goaltending". (Hint: it includes the word "try".)

Quote:
Situation B: B2 Goal Tends. Same question.
Same answer

Quote:
In situation A and B, is the ball live and we just play on? No points are awarded, correct?

Correct.

Quote:
Situation C: A2 commits Basket Interference. Do we credit two points to B?

Yes. [Sorry for the confusion of my original -- and incorrect -- answer ]

Quote:
This is offensive BI

No, it isn't.

Quote:
Situation D: B2 commits Basket Interference. Do we credit two points to B? Surely not!

No points, and don't call me Shirley.

Quote:
This is defensive BI

Surely not!

Quote:
Do we credit two points to A?

No.

Quote:
If there had been no BI and the ball went in, we would credit two points to team B.

Correct.



[Edited by ChuckElias on Nov 3rd, 2005 at 09:23 AM]
__________________
Any NCAA rules and interpretations in this post are relevant for men's games only!
Reply With Quote
  #3 (permalink)  
Old Wed Nov 02, 2005, 06:26pm
Official Forum Member
 
Join Date: Aug 1999
Location: In the offseason.
Posts: 12,058
Quote:
Originally posted by rwest
I want to bring this up again for clarification. If you have references and case plays to support your position, that would be helpful.

Here's the scenario.

A1 rebounds the ball at B's basket. He's confused (Hey it could happen, he's a teenager!) and puts up a shot at the wrong goal.

Situation C: A2 commits Basket Interference. Do we credit two points to B? This is offensive BI but at the wrong basket.

YES! It doesn't matter how the ball got there (over B's basket) or who put it there. If team A commits BI at B's basket, team B gets 2 points (or 3 if on a 3-point try by B).
__________________
Owner/Developer of RefTown.com
Reply With Quote
  #4 (permalink)  
Old Wed Nov 02, 2005, 06:50pm
Official Forum Member
 
Join Date: Aug 2000
Posts: 14,614
I have to disagree with Chuck. In C and D, we have BI. As Camron said, it makes no difference how the ball got there, once it's in the imaginary cylinder, BI rules apply. It's the same principle that allows you to have BI on a throw-in.
__________________
"...as cool as the other side of the pillow." - Stuart Scott

"You should never be proud of doing the right thing." - Dean Smith
Reply With Quote
  #5 (permalink)  
Old Thu Nov 03, 2005, 05:49am
Official Forum Member
 
Join Date: Nov 2002
Posts: 14,782
Yep, Chuck missed the call in C, so if there was a whistle on the play it is now a correctable error situation.

rwest, you want to take over from here?


Reply With Quote
  #6 (permalink)  
Old Thu Nov 03, 2005, 08:38am
Official Forum Member
 
Join Date: Oct 2003
Location: Suwanee Georgia
Posts: 1,050
Quote:
Originally posted by ChuckElias
Not possible. There's your first mistake. Gotta know the definition of "try".

Gotta know the definition of "goaltending". (Hint: it includes the word "try".)
[/b]

[/B][/QUOTE]

Chuck, you need to learn to read! I said shot. No where did I say "try"!

Seriously, that's why I asked the questions. There is no Goal Tending if a shot is made at the wrong basket. That's what I was trying to get clear!

__________________
Gwinnett Umpires Association
Multicounty Softball Association
Multicounty Basketball Officials Association
Reply With Quote
  #7 (permalink)  
Old Thu Nov 03, 2005, 08:40am
Official Forum Member
 
Join Date: Oct 2003
Location: Suwanee Georgia
Posts: 1,050
Quote:
Originally posted by Nevadaref
Yep, Chuck missed the call in C, so if there was a whistle on the play it is now a correctable error situation.

rwest, you want to take over from here?


LOL! No!
__________________
Gwinnett Umpires Association
Multicounty Softball Association
Multicounty Basketball Officials Association
Reply With Quote
  #8 (permalink)  
Old Thu Nov 03, 2005, 08:57am
Official Forum Member
 
Join Date: Aug 1999
Posts: 17,416
Quote:
Originally posted by rwest


Chuck, you need to learn to read! I said shot. No where did I say "try"!

I think FED uses the phrase "throws the ball at the wrong basket."

In general, "shot" = "try"
Reply With Quote
  #9 (permalink)  
Old Thu Nov 03, 2005, 09:16am
Official Forum Member
 
Join Date: Aug 2001
Location: Western Mass.
Posts: 9,104
Send a message via AIM to ChuckElias
Quote:
Originally posted by Camron Rust
Quote:
Originally posted by rwest
A2 commits Basket Interference. Do we credit two points to B? This is offensive BI but at the wrong basket.
YES! It doesn't matter how the ball got there (over B's basket) or who put it there. If team A commits BI at B's basket, team B gets 2 points (or 3 if on a 3-point try by B).
Poop. Don't know what I was looking at there. Camron's right obviously. I'm gonna go back and edit the post. I was hung up on the question of it being "offensive" BI.
__________________
Any NCAA rules and interpretations in this post are relevant for men's games only!
Reply With Quote
Reply

Bookmarks

Thread Tools
Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread:

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is On
Trackbacks are On
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are On



All times are GMT -5. The time now is 06:55am.



Search Engine Friendly URLs by vBSEO 3.3.0 RC1