The Official Forum

The Official Forum (https://forum.officiating.com/)
-   Basketball (https://forum.officiating.com/basketball/)
-   -   Resurrecting an old thread: BI or GT at wrong basket (https://forum.officiating.com/basketball/22994-resurrecting-old-thread-bi-gt-wrong-basket.html)

rwest Wed Nov 02, 2005 05:21pm

I want to bring this up again for clarification. If you have references and case plays to support your position, that would be helpful.

Here's the scenario.

A1 rebounds the ball at B's basket. He's confused (Hey it could happen, he's a teenager!) and puts up a shot at the wrong goal.

Situation A: A2 Goal Tends. Is this actual goal tending? This was not a legitimate attempt since the shot was at the wrong goal, correct?

Situation B: B2 Goal Tends. Same question. Is this goal tending?

In situation A and B, is the ball live and we just play on? No points are awarded, correct?

Situation C: A2 commits Basket Interference. Do we credit two points to B? This is offensive BI but at the wrong basket.

Situation D: B2 commits Basket Interference. Do we credit two points to B? Surely not! This is defensive BI but its at the wrong goal. Do we credit two points to A? If so, why? If there had been no BI and the ball went in, we would credit two points to team B.

Thanks!

ChuckElias Wed Nov 02, 2005 05:56pm

Quote:

Originally posted by rwest
A1 rebounds the ball at B's basket. He's confused (Hey it could happen, he's a teenager!) and puts up a shot at the wrong goal.
Not possible. There's your first mistake. Gotta know the definition of "try".

Quote:

Situation A: A2 Goal Tends. Is this actual goal tending?
Gotta know the definition of "goaltending". (Hint: it includes the word "try".)

Quote:

Situation B: B2 Goal Tends. Same question.
Same answer :)

Quote:

In situation A and B, is the ball live and we just play on? No points are awarded, correct?

Correct.

Quote:

Situation C: A2 commits Basket Interference. Do we credit two points to B?

Yes. [Sorry for the confusion of my original -- and incorrect -- answer :( ]

Quote:

This is offensive BI

No, it isn't.

Quote:

Situation D: B2 commits Basket Interference. Do we credit two points to B? Surely not!

No points, and don't call me Shirley.

Quote:

This is defensive BI

Surely not! :)

Quote:

Do we credit two points to A?

No.

Quote:

If there had been no BI and the ball went in, we would credit two points to team B.

Correct.

[Edited by ChuckElias on Nov 3rd, 2005 at 09:23 AM]

Camron Rust Wed Nov 02, 2005 06:26pm

Quote:

I want to bring this up again for clarification. If you have references and case plays to support your position, that would be helpful.

Here's the scenario.

Situation C: A2 commits Basket Interference. Do we credit two points to B? This is offensive BI but at the wrong basket.

YES! It doesn't matter how the ball got there (over B's basket) or who put it there. If team A commits BI at B's basket, team B gets 2 points (or 3 if on a 3-point try by B).

BktBallRef Wed Nov 02, 2005 06:50pm

I have to disagree with Chuck. In C and D, we have BI. As Camron said, it makes no difference how the ball got there, once it's in the imaginary cylinder, BI rules apply. It's the same principle that allows you to have BI on a throw-in.

Nevadaref Thu Nov 03, 2005 05:49am

Yep, Chuck missed the call in C, so if there was a whistle on the play it is now a correctable error situation. :)

rwest, you want to take over from here?

rwest Thu Nov 03, 2005 08:38am

Quote:

Originally posted by ChuckElias
Not possible. There's your first mistake. Gotta know the definition of "try".

Gotta know the definition of "goaltending". (Hint: it includes the word "try".)

[/b]

[/B][/QUOTE]

Chuck, you need to learn to read! :) I said shot. No where did I say "try"! :)

Seriously, that's why I asked the questions. There is no Goal Tending if a shot is made at the wrong basket. That's what I was trying to get clear!

rwest Thu Nov 03, 2005 08:40am

Quote:

Originally posted by Nevadaref
Yep, Chuck missed the call in C, so if there was a whistle on the play it is now a correctable error situation. :)

rwest, you want to take over from here?

LOL! No! :)

bob jenkins Thu Nov 03, 2005 08:57am

Quote:

Chuck, you need to learn to read! :) I said shot. No where did I say "try"! :)

I think FED uses the phrase "throws the ball at the wrong basket."

In general, "shot" = "try"

ChuckElias Thu Nov 03, 2005 09:16am

Quote:

Originally posted by Camron Rust
Quote:

A2 commits Basket Interference. Do we credit two points to B? This is offensive BI but at the wrong basket.

YES! It doesn't matter how the ball got there (over B's basket) or who put it there. If team A commits BI at B's basket, team B gets 2 points (or 3 if on a 3-point try by B).

Poop. Don't know what I was looking at there. Camron's right obviously. I'm gonna go back and edit the post. I was hung up on the question of it being "offensive" BI.