Go Back   The Official Forum > Basketball
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Wed Nov 02, 2005, 08:01am
M.A.S.H.

Re: speaking of shirts....

Quote:
Originally posted by canuckrefguy
....where can you get those shirts with the black underarms?

I think you're talking about the black panels (worn in the NCAA). If so, Purchase Officials as them.
Old Wed Nov 02, 2005, 08:34am
Official Forum Member

Send a message via AIM to ChuckElias
Quote:
Originally posted by mj
I too think this is foolish. I have seen guys digging in their pockets to change it over to the other one. As far as the AP arrow goes, after the in-bounds on one just glance at the table to make sure it has changed. In my years of officiating I have never seen one magically change back.
I agree that it looks kind of bad to have to dig in your pockets or switch a rubber band after every held ball. But it's not foolish to know -- without relying on the arrow at the table -- which way the arrow is pointing. So how do you keep track without a whistle or rubber band?

Little tip I picked up at camp: Use your counts to remind yourself of the arrow. You count on every or every other possession. So instead of counting "1-mississippi, 2-mississippi, 3-mississippi. . ." count 1-red arrow, 2-red arrow, 3-red arrow. . .". This way, every possesssion, you'll know the arrow, and you don't have to rely on any outside gadget.
Old Wed Nov 02, 2005, 11:14am
M.A.S.H.

Wink

I actually have my own AP. It's attached to a belt and runs off solar power with 8 AA batteries as back up. I always have to be careful with my scheduling to make sure the gyms I work at are well lighted.
Old Wed Nov 02, 2005, 11:18am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally posted by ChuckElias
So how do you keep track without a whistle or rubber band?

Little tip I picked up at camp: Use your counts to remind yourself of the arrow. You count on every or every other possession. So instead of counting "1-mississippi, 2-mississippi, 3-mississippi. . ." count 1-red arrow, 2-red arrow, 3-red arrow. . .". This way, every possesssion, you'll know the arrow, and you don't have to rely on any outside gadget.
I tried this once, and after a huge tie-up, I came out strong with "Red ball!". Of course, everyone looked at me funny because the teams were white and blue.

Sorry. I just did that to amuse myself. But Chuck's suggestion is a good one; I started doing that this summer during camps and it helps. A long time ago I tried the "whistle in the pocket" thing, but I ended up thinking too much about which pocket to use - towards the bench or towards the basket? Or, what if I'm facing a different direction? Did I remember to switch it last time? What if I find other things in my pocket?

Remember, the count is silent; just say the color in your head.

(Used with permission.)
Old Wed Nov 02, 2005, 11:39am
Official Forum Member

Send a message via AIM to rainmaker
Quote:
Originally posted by M&M Guy

I tried this once, and after a huge tie-up, I came out strong with "Red ball!". Of course, everyone looked at me funny because the teams were white and blue.
I really truly did do that once. Got a great laugh, but that wasn't the point...
Old Wed Nov 02, 2005, 03:35pm
Official Forum Member

[QUOTE]Originally posted by ChuckElias
Quote:
Originally posted by mj
I am gonna steal this... HAHAHAHA! It is mine!!! lol! No, but thanks for sharing. I am excited to try it.
Old Thu Nov 03, 2005, 02:05pm
Official Forum Member

>>I like the poly shirts the best. They look a lot better.<<

Putting aside that the mesh shirts are still polyester, you can't see the micro or, for sure not, the CK ultra-mesh, so from a distance, it basically looks the same as the double-knit poly. I will conceed there may be a slight shine to the double-knit, but the new mesh shirts are nowhere near like the old style mesh. Those don't belong in anything but a football scrimmage in August or a spring football game. Nowhere near a court.