Thread: Ref Gear
View Single Post
Old Tue Nov 01, 2005, 03:15pm
Official Forum Member

I saw up close the Cliff Keen ultramesh shirt this past weekend, and its likely the one I will get and be wearing. The mesh is even smaller than Honigs micromesh that I wear in football and like, but I do think the smallest mesh possible is what you want in hoops. The Dalco mesh I've seen is NOT what you want in basketball, as gyms are tight and you will be seen up close and far away, and the Dalco is too big, in my view.

Pants: unless its a comfort thing, beltless is really the only choice. I just think belts detract from the overall look.

Other on-court accessories: I'd carry 2 things. First, an extra whistle, and second, an under-armour sweat band in a back pocket for use during timeouts and such. Don't wear it! I've seen guys with hankerchiefs (sp???) but I wouldn't recommend those. I've NEVER, in several hundred basketball games worked, needed a spare whistle, but its always a good idea to be safe as a trip to the locker room wastes too much time.

Finally, as far as whistles, you just have to buy the various fox flavors and choose the one you like the best. The only rule is don't use a pea whistle as its not loud enough (can't speak to the non-fox pealess ones). I don't like the mini. I used the regular one from my first year on in basketball and have liked it. However, in football, I like the cushioned mouth whistle, but wouldn't use it in basketball. Why? I don't feel like it blows as loud as the regular one, but that could me just me. At any rate, I'm comfortable with the regular one on the court. In terms of suppliers, I'd recommend you find the equipment you want and buy from whoever sells it. You should be able to limit it to 2-3 suppliers at most. Honigs has excellent shipping, but my experience with them is from Texas to Texas.