The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Basketball
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Mon Oct 31, 2005, 09:36pm
Official Forum Member

Here is a situation I am not certain about.

Team A's throw-in is deflected but not controlled in the frontcourt. The ball is loose for three seconds. A-5 is standing in the key during that time. By rule, should a three second violation be called against A-5?

PS. I know that a 3-second violation can be called during an interrupted dribble, but this is not really an interrupted dribble, is it?

Jay
Old Mon Oct 31, 2005, 10:11pm
Official Forum Member

When the NCAA went to team control fouls they made team control on a throw in however they modified the three second rule with the following:

A team in control of the ball for a throw-in adjacent to a front-court boundary line may not be called for a three-second violation .

However in your situation

Art.2.A team shall be in control when:
a.A player of the team is in control;
b.While a live ball is being passed between teammates;or
c.When a player of that team has disposal of the ball for a throw-in.
Art.3.Team control shall continue until the ball is in flight during a try for
goal,an opponent secures control or the ball becomes dead.

Since there is no loose ball definition in NCAA like the NBA the answer is yes it is a violation, but I would sure as heck use some common sense here
Old Mon Oct 31, 2005, 10:12pm
Official Forum Member

SECTION 7 THREE SECONDS
ART. 1 . . . A player shall not remain for three seconds in that part of his/her free-throw lane between the end line and the farther edge of the free-throw line while the ball is in control of his/her team in his/her frontcourt.

ART. 2 . . . The three-second restriction applies to a player who has only one foot touching the lane boundary. The line is part of the lane. All lines designating the free-throw lane, but not lane-space marks and neutral-zone marks, are part of the lane.

ART. 3 . . . Allowance shall be made for a player who, having been in the restricted area for less than three seconds, dribbles in or moves immediately to try for goal.
PENALTY: (Section 7) The ball is dead when the violation occurs and is awarded to the opponents for a throw-in from the designated out-of-bounds spot nearest the violation.
Old Mon Oct 31, 2005, 10:37pm
Official Forum Member

Send a message via AIM to ChuckElias
The answer is no, it's not a 3-second violation. The reason is that the count doesn't start until the throw-in ends, or something like that. I'll have to look it up in the morning. That was a test question last year when they changed the team control rule. The answer was no, but I can't recall exactly what the rule citation was.
Old Tue Nov 01, 2005, 07:10am
Official Forum Member

Send a message via AIM to Lotto
Here's the actual NCAA rule from the 05-06 book

Section 9. Three-Second Rule
Art. 1. Aplayer shall not be permitted to have any part of his or her body remain in the three-second lane for more than three consecutive seconds while the ball is in control of that player’s team in his or her front court.
a. A team in control of the ball for a throw-in adjacent to a front-court boundary line may not be called for a three-second violation.
A.R. 16. The ball is loose or there is an interrupted dribble. RULING: The three-second count shall be in effect. The team that had control before the loose ball or during an interrupted dribble shall maintain team control until the opponent secures control.
Art. 2.Allowance shall be made for a player who, having been in the three-second lane for less than three seconds, dribbles or moves in immediately to try for field goal.
a. The player shall not pass the ball instead of trying for goal.
Old Tue Nov 01, 2005, 08:31am
Official Forum Member

Well, it's morning, and I've been looking and darned if I can't find anything that says what I thought it said. It sure looks like the original situation is a 3-second violation. That can't be what they want, tho. That would be a horrible interpretation, if that's really the way the NCAA wants it called.
Old Tue Nov 01, 2005, 08:41am
Official Forum Member

Interesting isnt it

Team A has ball for throwin and under NCAA has team control. The ball inbounds hits a player, and is loose rolling around while the big center parks in the paint.

Nothing different than a ball thrown from backcourt with same thing...

As I mentioned earlier common sense goes a long way in this one- Even in NFHS ball wold we call a 3 second call if the ball was passed from backcourt touched a front court player and ball loose rolling around on the floor?

I'm not although I now a few guys who would.

Makes you wish NCAA and NFHS would wriye in a NBA type defnition of loose ball doesnt it?

Old Tue Nov 01, 2005, 09:18am
Official Forum Member

I agree that I would never call it in that situation. I saw this question on an old refresher exam. The answers were not provided. That's why I said what is the rule, not common sense.
Old Tue Nov 01, 2005, 09:33am
Official Forum Member

Re: Here's the actual NCAA rule from the 05-06 book

Quote:
Originally posted by Lotto
Section 9. Three-Second Rule
Art. 1. Aplayer shall not be permitted to have any part of his or her body remain in the three-second lane for more than three consecutive seconds while the ball is in control of that player’s team in his or her front court.
a. A team in control of the ball for a throw-in adjacent to a front-court boundary line may not be called for a three-second violation.
And, since the (NCAA) throw-in doesn't end until a player gains control on the court, the original play presented isn't a violation.

Old Tue Nov 01, 2005, 09:44am
Official Forum Member

Re: Re: Here's the actual NCAA rule from the 05-06 book

Quote:
Originally posted by bob jenkins
Quote:
And, since the (NCAA) throw-in doesn't end until a player gains control on the court, the original play presented isn't a violation.
Bob, once the ball is released toward the court is the team still "in control of the ball for a throw-in"?
Old Tue Nov 01, 2005, 10:19am
Official Forum Member

Ok, how about this - the rule states:
Art. 1. A player shall not be permitted to have any part of his or her body remain in the three-second lane for more than three consecutive seconds while the ball is in control of that player’s team in his or her front court.

Yes, there's team control. And, yes, the ball establishes front court status when it's touched inbounds. But is that considered "in control of that player's team in his or her front court"? I always thought that was a slight, but important distinction. When you hand the ball to the player for the throw-in, there is team control, but the ball isn't in the front court, it's OOB. Even though the player may be standing under their own basket, it's not in the front court.

Maybe I'm splitting the wrong hairs, but I would only start the 3-sec. count when the throw-in team establishes control in the front court, not when the ball establishes front court status. Am I splitting the right hairs, or am I using wrong-headed logic to prove the point?

(Used with permission.)
Old Tue Nov 01, 2005, 10:21am
Official Forum Member

Send a message via AIM to Dan_ref
Re: Re: Re: Here's the actual NCAA rule from the 05-06 book

Quote:
Originally posted by ChuckElias
Quote:
Originally posted by bob jenkins
Quote:
Bob, once the ball is released toward the court is the team still "in control of the ball for a throw-in"?
Well, as Bob points out the rules do say a throw-in ends when the passed ball is controlled by an inbounds player. So I would have to say yes, the team is in control for a throw-in. Can't have 3 seconds during a throw-in, the throw-in ends when the ball is in control, so the play in question is not a violation.

How else would you read it??
Old Tue Nov 01, 2005, 11:08am
Official Forum Member

Re: Re: Re: Re: Here's the actual NCAA rule from the 05-06 book

Quote:
Originally posted by Dan_ref
Can't have 3 seconds during a throw-in, the throw-in ends when the ball is in control
Ok, I'm extra-dense this morning. How do you come to that conclusion? I don't see that in the rule. Not being a smart-@$$ either. I'm confused.
Old Tue Nov 01, 2005, 11:21am
Official Forum Member

Send a message via AIM to Dan_ref
Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Here's the actual NCAA rule from the 05-06 book

Quote:
Originally posted by ChuckElias
Quote:
Originally posted by Dan_ref
Can't have 3 seconds during a throw-in, the throw-in ends when the ball is in control
Ok, I'm extra-dense this morning. How do you come to that conclusion? I don't see that in the rule. Not being a smart-@$$ either. I'm confused.
Rule 4, Throw-in, 2005 verson:

Art. 5. A throw-in shall end when the passed ball is controlled by an inbounds player. The throw-in may be controlled or touched in bounds by the thrower-in after the ball touches or is legally touched by a player in
bounds.
Old Tue Nov 01, 2005, 11:33am
Official Forum Member

Ok, I'm with you so far. How do you go from that to "you can't have a 3-second violation during a throw-in"?