The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Basketball
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Thu Sep 15, 2005, 11:37am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally posted by Jay R
I say this everytime the subject is brought up. Basketball is an AMERICAN game invented by a CANADIAN.
Last time I checked, Canada was still part of North AMERICA.

Old Thu Sep 15, 2005, 02:37pm
Official Forum Member

Send a message via MSN to crazy voyager
Quote:
I say this everytime the subject is brought up. Basketball is an AMERICAN game invented by a CANADIAN.

The game is obviously still better in the US than anywhere else. But while young Americans are focusing on dunking and dribbling between the legs, kids in other countries are working shooting and passing. They're catching up real quick.

In 1972, Canada almost lost the hockey Summit Series to Russia. It was a wake up call to go back to the basics of skating and passing instead of focusing on the rough stuff. Last year's Olympic debacle for the US should perhaps be looked at that the same way instead of focusing on the fact that it was not the 12 best Americans that were on the team. It had Tim Duncan and Allen Iverson, these were not college guys playing against pros.
this must be the first decent post I've seen in here, including my own :P

and yes I sometimes call myself a bit crazy (on the net anyway), it's like playing a role I can't take IRL but enjoy (get what I mean?), so yes I know :;P

Old Wed Sep 21, 2005, 04:30pm
Official Forum Member

Send a message via ICQ to ROMANO Send a message via AIM to ROMANO
Wink

I'm very happy to know that i'm not the only FIBA official here!

[Edited by ROMANO on Sep 27th, 2005 at 06:03 AM]
Old Wed Sep 21, 2005, 11:41pm
Official Forum Member

Talking Gee I've missed you guys

Hey all - I'm back and I've missed you all Been pretty busy lately, but thought I'd check in.

As far as FIBA forums - haven't come across one yet, but feel free to email me if you have specific questions of check out my site (www.geocities.com/Oz_Referee) (shameless plug!)

And while we are on about non-American players in the NBA - who was the #1 draft pick in the NBA hmmm? I believe it was an Aussie Let's face it, while Americans may dominate the sport, the rest of the world is (has?) catching up.

As to why the rules for international games should be "changed" from NBA rules as someone here mention, lets keep in mind that FIBA, NBA, NCAA and NFHS rules have all evolved differently for a host of reasons - all with their pros and cons. It is grossly unfair for anyone here to say that "our rules are better than yours" especially when so many people here admit they have no knowledge of FIBA rules and have never officiated with them - who knows you just may like them (or at least parts of them)!!!

Phew....rant over now

Visit www.geocities.com/oz_referee
Old Mon Sep 26, 2005, 06:46pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally posted by JRutledge
Why would officials from America want to know more about FIBA rules? Unless you are going to work a world tournament there is no need for FIBA rules to ever be discussed here or to FIBA rules to ever be used.

Peace
While most of the members of this board are American, it is not exclusively American. Some of us are interested in FIBA rules. I for example am an American who sometimes refs using FIBA rules. If I have a FIBA question I specifically label the thread to say it only pertains to FIBA.