Go Back   The Official Forum > Basketball
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Mon Aug 29, 2005, 08:17pm
Do not give a damn!!

Quote:
Originally posted by Dewey1
JRut

I don't always agree with you, but in this case I do. There is not really a need for FIBA to be disscused here as most people don't use it or have an interest in it.
I did not realize that that my responses were for you to agree with me.

Quote:
Originally posted by Dewey1
In the end, JRut will tell me "you don't like it, don't read it." and maybe that will happen, but I am not sure that I am alone. If I am, thanks for listening and I will move on, but I will be sorry to lose this resource and the way it used to be.

And chrisgrassy, no I don't know of anothe webpage about FIBA.
It is funny that you went all around talking about how we did not answer the question, but yet you basically said the same thing everyone has said. If you have such a problem with how everyone answered the question, why did you say the same thing?

Peace
Old Tue Sep 13, 2005, 09:08am
Official Forum Member

Send a message via AIM to TomW
Talking

Quote:
Originally posted by BktBallRef

BTW, it is an American game.

Ahhemmm....

Athens 2004:-

Puerto Rico 92, USA 73
Lithuania 94, USA 90
Argentina 89, USA 81

There's always the World championships next year....
Old Tue Sep 13, 2005, 10:10am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally posted by TomW
Quote:

Ahhemmm....

Puerto Rico 92, USA 73
Lithuania 94, USA 90
Argentina 89, USA 81

My friend, I couldn't care less. No other basektball rivals the NBA, college basketball, or high school basketball in this country. I couldn't care less about FEEBLE games.

Why do you think all the best players in the world, outside the USA, come here to play basketball? Because in America is where the best basketball is played, it's where the best players are and it's an American game.

"You should never be proud of doing the right thing." - Dean Smith
Old Tue Sep 13, 2005, 01:56pm
Official Forum Member

Send a message via MSN to crazy voyager
well don't care then :P

And yes a the NBA is the best- no question about it, but the euroleuge aint bad either, neither are some of the national european leuges-
so sure, you don't care, but there are a lot of people who do-
and even more who belive in a mutual exchange between the continents- just not saying "I don't care".
It's much more fun to co-exist and compare, not in a competetive way- but compare the rules, the pace- the development of game aspects related to cort size- players background:
e.g normaly a lot of people who come from a home with low income- usually plays a lot of street, wich tend to advance the dribble and fast breaks, how ever-
people with a "richer" background will probably play a lot in teams and pay a lot to have high trained coaches and such- then the game tends to be more "sofisticated",
a lot more of set up games, using of screens, less of the fancy dribbling-
I find this kind of comprising very intresting to look at, perhaps you should give it a try to- belive me,
it's much more fun then to turn your back at the continent wich holds a lot of the good basketball players and leuges

[Edited by crazy voyager on Sep 14th, 2005 at 07:54 AM]
Old Tue Sep 13, 2005, 04:24pm
Official Forum Member

None of that has anything to do with anything crazy. It was Tommyboy who brought up the Olympics and the "world" Championships. I simply said I couldn't care less.

BTW, do you know where American college players who cannot make the NBA go to play?

Europe. Euroleagues suck.

BTW, would you mind using a period at the end of a sentence from time to time? You're posts are terribly difficult to read because you write one, long, run-on sentnece. Thanks!

Here endeth the lesson.

Old Tue Sep 13, 2005, 07:25pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Quote:

Ahhemmm....

Puerto Rico 92, USA 73
Lithuania 94, USA 90
Argentina 89, USA 81

Old Tue Sep 13, 2005, 07:40pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Quote:

Ahhemmm....

Puerto Rico 92, USA 73
Lithuania 94, USA 90
Argentina 89, USA 81

Sir, you are woefully misinformed, suffering from serious dementia and are living in your own little mindless world if you think the "rest of the world" is better than the best of the best in the US. It is an American sport. And if you don't mind my saying it strikes me as the height of gall and arrogance to change the rules to suit the European style of play. As far as the World Championships, they don't prove a darn thing. The US team's high scorer plays in the NBA development league. What does that tell you?
__________________________________________________ ________
"We don't see things as they are; we see them as we are."
Old Tue Sep 13, 2005, 08:40pm
Official Forum Member

Old Tue Sep 13, 2005, 08:55pm
In Memoriam

Quote:
Originally posted by TravelinMan
Quote:
Quote:

Ahhemmm....

Puerto Rico 92, USA 73
Lithuania 94, USA 90
Argentina 89, USA 81

Sir, you are woefully misinformed, suffering from serious dementia and are living in your own little mindless world if you think the "rest of the world" is better than the best of the best in the US. It is an American sport. And if you don't mind my saying it strikes me as the height of gall and arrogance to change the rules to suit the European style of play. As far as the World Championships, they don't prove a darn thing. The US team's high scorer plays in the NBA development league. What does that tell you?

Huh? I think that you might be a l'il misinformed too.

The US team's high scorer in the last World Championship was Paul Pierce of the Celtics iirr. The last World Championship was held in Indianapolis in 2002. I watched most of the games on my dish. The NBA channel had them on. The US team had an all-NBA roster that included Pierce along with Jermaine O'Neil, Elton Brand, Reggie Miller, Ben Wallace, Michael Finlay,etc. That team went 6-3 and finished in 6th. place. The next World Championship isn't being held until next summer--2006. World championships are like the Olympics; they are held every four years.

If you were thinking about the recent tournament that the US played in South America, I believe that was a zone qualifying tournament to get into the World Championship. That US team was composed of non-NBA players from the NBDL and other leagues, I think. Correct if I'm wrong, but I think that's the scenario.
Old Wed Sep 14, 2005, 07:04am
Official Forum Member

Send a message via MSN to crazy voyager
I've edited my post to make it easier to read.

Quote:
Euroleagues suck.
oh does it indeed? Well why does it suck? it is becuse the lack of americans- r becuse of all the good euro players being in the NBA, I think it's the latter.

The NBA is the best (yeah i've already said that I know) but that's becuse it takes player from all over the world- look at it, Ginobili- he's not american, neither is; Nowitzki- Stojakavivic, Ilgauskas, Parker, Gasol, Kirilenko and more; a lot more players are european.

then there is a lot of good americans yes, but look at the NBA now- and compare it with how many foreign players it was 20 years ago- it's quite a diffrence.

And yes the euroleuge gets worse when all the besty go to NBA- but it doesn't suck, it's probably the second best leuge in the world.

And it's an american game- still, you can't win the olympics, or world championships- anymore :P
Old Wed Sep 14, 2005, 07:25am
In Memoriam

Old Wed Sep 14, 2005, 08:07pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally posted by Jurassic Referee
Quote:
Originally posted by TravelinMan
Quote:
Quote:

Ahhemmm....

Puerto Rico 92, USA 73
Lithuania 94, USA 90
Argentina 89, USA 81

Huh? I think that you might be a l'il misinformed too.

The US team's high scorer in the last World Championship was Paul Pierce of the Celtics iirr. The last World Championship was held in Indianapolis in 2002. I watched most of the games on my dish. The NBA channel had them on. The US team had an all-NBA roster that included Pierce along with Jermaine O'Neil, Elton Brand, Reggie Miller, Ben Wallace, Michael Finlay,etc. That team went 6-3 and finished in 6th. place. The next World Championship isn't being held until next summer--2006. World championships are like the Olympics; they are held every four years.

If you were thinking about the recent tournament that the US played in South America, I believe that was a zone qualifying tournament to get into the World Championship. That US team was composed of non-NBA players from the NBDL and other leagues, I think. Correct if I'm wrong, but I think that's the scenario.
Me... misinformed.... nah!

Yes, JR, I was referring to the World Championships Qualifying berth recently played in the Dominican Republic. Kris Lang, an NBDL player was the high scorer in a loss to Venezuela. I should have been more precise. Our fourth place finish was good enough to accomplish our number one goal of qualifying for the 2006 FIBA Men's World Championship slated to be held August 19-September 3 2006 in Japan. As far as the all-NBA team you mentioned for 2002, it doesn't even come close to the best we could send, i.e., earlier dream teams.
Old Wed Sep 14, 2005, 08:12pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally posted by crazy voyager

Quote:
Euroleagues suck.
And it's an american game- still, you can't win the olympics, or world championships- anymore :P
C-R-A-Z-Y Voyager. With the emphasis on C-R-A-Z-Y!!!!
Old Wed Sep 14, 2005, 08:25pm
Official Forum Member

I say this everytime the subject is brought up. Basketball is an AMERICAN game invented by a CANADIAN.

The game is obviously still better in the US than anywhere else. But while young Americans are focusing on dunking and dribbling between the legs, kids in other countries are working shooting and passing. They're catching up real quick.

In 1972, Canada almost lost the hockey Summit Series to Russia. It was a wake up call to go back to the basics of skating and passing instead of focusing on the rough stuff. Last year's Olympic debacle for the US should perhaps be looked at that the same way instead of focusing on the fact that it was not the 12 best Americans that were on the team. It had Tim Duncan and Allen Iverson, these were not college guys playing against pros.
Old Wed Sep 14, 2005, 08:43pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally posted by crazy voyager

Quote:
Euroleagues suck.
The NBA is the best (yeah i've already said that I know) but that's becuse it takes player from all over the world- look at it, Ginobili- he's not american, neither is; Nowitzki- Stojakavivic, Ilgauskas, Parker, Gasol, Kirilenko and more; a lot more players are european.

then there is a lot of good americans yes, but look at the NBA now- and compare it with how many foreign players it was 20 years ago- it's quite a diffrence.

The 1992 Olympics in Barcelona set the stage for the upsurge in international basketball. The United States Dream Team (now THAT was a dream team) made a first-hand impression on youngsters in Europe and as more kids wanted to play basketball, more talent, 10 years later, started coming into the NBA.

There is no doubt that the national teams in the 2002 World Championships played a better brand of basketball. But when a group of guys with two weeks practice time is facing players who have competed together on the national team for years and years, you really can't compare the advantage non-US teams have. We just haven't had a strong national program because we have not had to.
__________________________________________________ ______
"Anyone who stops learning is old, whether at 20 or 80" - Henry Ford