The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Basketball

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Tue Aug 09, 2005, 11:27am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally posted by blindzebra
I've seen broken fingers, cut fingers, sprained backs, twisted ankles and knees, a broken wrist,a broken leg, and a player knocked unconscious all because of attempted dunks.

I'm sure it's all about the equipment. [/B]
If dunking is so dangerous, why is it allowed during games? And I've seen all these injuries (and more) which were not the result of attempted dunks. Dunking is a part of the game, and players should be allowed to practice that part of the game during warm-ups. That said, I understand that dunking wears the rim down and you don't want your rim failing 2 minutes before game time.

College players, who don't get hurt trying to dunk, aren't allowed to dunk during pregame to protect the rims.

One more bit of sarcasm: I love this chat board.
Old Tue Aug 09, 2005, 03:00pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally posted by lrpalmer3
Quote:
I've seen broken fingers, cut fingers, sprained backs, twisted ankles and knees, a broken wrist,a broken leg, and a player knocked unconscious all because of attempted dunks.

I'm sure it's all about the equipment.
If dunking is so dangerous, why is it allowed during games? And I've seen all these injuries (and more) which were not the result of attempted dunks. Dunking is a part of the game, and players should be allowed to practice that part of the game during warm-ups. That said, I understand that dunking wears the rim down and you don't want your rim failing 2 minutes before game time.

College players, who don't get hurt trying to dunk, aren't allowed to dunk during pregame to protect the rims.

One more bit of sarcasm: I love this chat board. [/B]
The 5' 8" kid that needs a running five step start to get near the rim ain't trying to dunk during a game, but he'll try it in warm ups.

The kids that can dunk easily will start a little slam dunk contest, they aren't throwing down a normal routine dunk, they are trying windmill reverse dunks.

The kids that wouldn't try to dunk in a game, because the coach will likely bench them for blowing an easy two points, will attempt it in warmups.

The vast majority of kids I've warned or T'd are kids that will never dunk in a game.
Old Tue Aug 09, 2005, 03:46pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
[B]Dunking is a part of the game, and players should be allowed to practice that part of the game during warm-ups.
With all due respect, you need to practice a dunk?

[Edited by BLydic on Aug 9th, 2005 at 04:53 PM]
Old Tue Aug 09, 2005, 04:47pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Quote:

Bottom line, Luther- it doesn't matter what you think. It's against the rules and that's not going to change.

"You should never be proud of doing the right thing." - Dean Smith
Old Wed Aug 10, 2005, 12:30am
Official Forum Member

Where to draw the line?

Quote:
Originally posted by Rizzo21
Quote:
Originally posted by KingTripleJump
Quote:
Originally posted by devdog69
I honestly can't believe the question was even asked. How much actual warmup would a bunch of high school boys get if they were allowed an alley-oop dunk fest to show off for the crowd before the game? And yes, there would be injuries, damages, showboating, and ill-feelings before the game even started.
Hmm, I don't know why you gave such a harsh, attitude laced response. But okay.
I hate to see that as well, it discourages legitimate questions. Not everyone here is a veteran of 20 years.

Anyway, I wonder how some define a "dunk". I have yet to officiate a real game yet so I haven't been in the position to call technicals for such actions. However, I've observed plenty of varsity warm-ups and seems to me there are some players coming awfully close. They "throw it down" from above the rim without contacting the rim...it's very close to the line in my opinion.

Where do some of you draw the line? Hand/ball above the cylinder? Contact with the rim? Just curious.
What I do is:

1) a simple lay in gone wrong - the guy grazes the rim, for example - gets an "Are you completely out of your mind?" warning.

2) Unless it has any power to it. Then it's a T right off.

Old Wed Aug 10, 2005, 12:35am
Official Forum Member

Children will be dunkin'

Quote:
Quote:
Yeah, I'm being sarcastic. I just don't believe that the rule is there to prevent kids from "jumping as high as they can" during warm-up. Hanging on the rim is different than dunking, why bring that up?

It's all about the equipment. Dunking wears the rim down, and you'd hate for it to fail 10 minutes before game time.

I can remember one 15 year old child, who went on to be captain of a Big Ten team, who perhaps had never quite gotten it down yet - at a team practice, with his Dad there - he went up and landed flat on his back. There were a bunch of future high level players there, but he was the highest. The gym turned stone quite. He didn't move for 2 seconds, then got up with a big, adolescent smile . . .

Dunking, yuh gotta love it . . .
Old Wed Aug 10, 2005, 12:37am
Official Forum Member

I agree with BsktBallRef

Quote:
Quote:

but, I gotta admit, the wear and tear on the rim thing had a lot more sway when there were single fized rims - that's what got damaged, the rims got bent.