Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Tue Aug 02, 2005, 12:41pm
Official Forum Member

Send a message via AIM to ChuckElias
Quote:
Originally posted by tomegun
Dan, do you really know Chuck?

Yes, Dan and I have met at camps. Most recently, just a couple weeks ago, when Dan bailed out on the last two nights in order to ref good games, instead of our AAU excitement.

Quote:
Chuck, are you saying that you would't call an obvious screen that everyone can see if it happens at the end of a game?
No, I'm not saying that you should pass on an obvious foul. What I am saying is that if you insert yourself into that kind of game at that point in the game, it had better be an obvious foul. That's all. I'm not saying swallow the whistle. I'm saying that everybody should know what you have as soon as the whistle blows. That's all.
Old Tue Aug 02, 2005, 12:42pm
Huck Finn

Quote:
Originally posted by refTN

Ok I just wanted to see your outlook on this. I have experienced alot of these situations, believe it or not. Most all the thoughts that come from my head to these posts were taught and drilled into my brain. I believe I do understand the terminology that I use.

I do this for a living. I have no other job or anything. All I do on days that I am not reffing is reading NCAA and NFHS rulebooks, terminology, tapes, and this forum. Thanks to you guys I have been able to throw out some misconceptions and you guys even got me doubting my mentor sometimes, but that is what I love about this forum. You guys are great even though you never agree with me and say it is because of my "lack of experience" and that is ok because I understand you have to be around a while before you gain acceptance. I can live with that.

I do hope that before my 1000th post that me and someone on this post agree with something that I have said. Maybe I will have my 7th year in by then and can have some kind of experience.

Like I said, what I wrote earlier and what I write in the future is all teaching. I don't believe in learning by yourself and on your own when it comes to officiating. You have to have great teachers, instructors, mentors to do well and be good at this profession. I personally feel I have those.
Well I'm someone that agrees with you this time. When I speak of experience I talk about what goes on during games. You cannot get all the experience you need in 50 or 60 games because there will be something that happens you aren't ready for. A hostile crowd, a bad coach, two bad coaches, a troublesome player and a combination of these and endless other situations makes up your experience. You started this so I will say what I've said before: being able to read a rule book and type does not make someone a good official or one to be looked up to. You must be able to bring it on the court, plain and simple!
Old Tue Aug 02, 2005, 12:44pm
Huck Finn

Quote:
Originally posted by ChuckElias
No, I'm not saying that you should pass on an obvious foul. What I am saying is that if you insert yourself into that kind of game at that point in the game, it had better be an obvious foul. That's all. I'm not saying swallow the whistle. I'm saying that everybody should know what you have as soon as the whistle blows. That's all. [/B][/QUOTE]

OK, you had me worried for a second.

Are you still going to Mickey's camp?
Old Tue Aug 02, 2005, 12:57pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Are you still going to Mickey's camp?
Yeah, how'd you know?
Old Tue Aug 02, 2005, 08:40pm
Official Forum Member

Quick question, sorry if it has been repeated but I couldn't read all 5 pages of this thread....

Say the lead in 3 person has a TC foul on a push-off in the blocks. What is the proper mechanic for reporting? Does the lead just take a few steps out onto the floor, report, and then handle the throw-in? Or are we supposed to switch? I'm new to 3-person due to my recent move and the only 3-person training I've had is NCAA mens where you just get the ball in play and go the other way without switch. I'm excited about finally getting to work 3-person on a regular basis. Actually, I'm just excited to work again since the move eliminated all summer ball.

Mregor

[Edited by Mregor on Aug 2nd, 2005 at 09:52 PM]
Old Tue Aug 02, 2005, 11:28pm
Official Forum Member

[QUOTE]Originally posted by Mregor
Quick question, sorry if it has been repeated but I couldn't read all 5 pages of this thread....

Say the lead in 3 person has a TC foul on a push-off in the blocks. What is the proper mechanic for reporting? Does the lead just take a few steps out onto the floor, report, and then handle the throw-in? Or are we supposed to switch? I'm new to 3-person due to my recent move and the only 3-person training I've had is NCAA mens where you just get the ball in play and go the other way without switch. I'm excited about finally getting to work 3-person on a regular basis. Actually, I'm just excited to work again since the move eliminated all summer ball.

Mregor

[Edited by Mregor on Aug 2nd, 2005 at 09:52 PM]
[/QUOTE

You go table side and report, who ever was table side either to C or T moves down to your spot. Then you sitate yourself to move down teh other end of teh court does that help

15 Year OHSAA BASKETBALL OFFICIAL
10 Year NSA Umpire
Old Wed Aug 03, 2005, 12:03am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Quote:
Originally posted by refTN

Ok I just wanted to see your outlook on this. I have experienced alot of these situations, believe it or not. Most all the thoughts that come from my head to these posts were taught and drilled into my brain. I believe I do understand the terminology that I use.

I do this for a living. I have no other job or anything. All I do on days that I am not reffing is reading NCAA and NFHS rulebooks, terminology, tapes, and this forum. Thanks to you guys I have been able to throw out some misconceptions and you guys even got me doubting my mentor sometimes, but that is what I love about this forum. You guys are great even though you never agree with me and say it is because of my "lack of experience" and that is ok because I understand you have to be around a while before you gain acceptance. I can live with that.

I do hope that before my 1000th post that me and someone on this post agree with something that I have said. Maybe I will have my 7th year in by then and can have some kind of experience.

Like I said, what I wrote earlier and what I write in the future is all teaching. I don't believe in learning by yourself and on your own when it comes to officiating. You have to have great teachers, instructors, mentors to do well and be good at this profession. I personally feel I have those.
Well I'm someone that agrees with you this time. When I speak of experience I talk about what goes on during games. You cannot get all the experience you need in 50 or 60 games because there will be something that happens you aren't ready for. A hostile crowd, a bad coach, two bad coaches, a troublesome player and a combination of these and endless other situations makes up your experience. You started this so I will say what I've said before: being able to read a rule book and type does not make someone a good official or one to be looked up to. You must be able to bring it on the court, plain and simple!
Tomegun do you think I can bring it by watching my tape?
Old Wed Aug 03, 2005, 04:09am
Huck Finn

You know what, I just thought about that. I didn't get your tape. Email me with the address you sent it to because I should have had it by now.
Old Wed Aug 03, 2005, 08:57am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally posted by Love this Game
Quote:
Originally posted by Mregor
Say the lead in 3 person has a TC foul on a push-off in the blocks. What is the proper mechanic for reporting?
You go table side and report, who ever was table side either to C or T moves down to your spot. Then you sitate yourself to move down teh other end of teh court does that help
LTG, are you sure about this? I thought that the FED was going to do away with the switch in the backcourt in 3-whistle games. I don't have the '05-'06 manual yet, so I'm not sure what will happen. I would be mildly surprised if the FED mandates this switch in the backcourt.
Old Wed Aug 03, 2005, 10:03am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Quote:
Originally posted by Love this Game
Quote:
Say the lead in 3 person has a TC foul on a push-off in the blocks. What is the proper mechanic for reporting?
LTG, are you sure about this? I thought that the FED was going to do away with the switch in the backcourt in 3-whistle games. I don't have the '05-'06 manual yet, so I'm not sure what will happen. I would be mildly surprised if the FED mandates this switch in the backcourt.
We still switch, no matter what. The reporting official always goes table side.

15 Year OHSAA BASKETBALL OFFICIAL
10 Year NSA Umpire
Old Wed Aug 03, 2005, 10:18am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
As indicated by the answers above, there are multiple "proper" mechanics for reporting:

1) No long-switch
2) Always switch
3) Switch only if L was opposite the table (so L becomes tableside)

Different areas / different assigners have different preferences.
Old Wed Aug 03, 2005, 10:36am
Official Forum Member

Bob, won't the FED give us a "proper" mechanic this year?
Old Wed Aug 03, 2005, 11:18am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Bob, won't the FED give us a "proper" mechanic this year?
Probably, but, as Jeff Rutledge posted, many states / local areas change the mechanics somewhat and FED "doesn't care".