Go Back   The Official Forum > Basketball
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Mon Aug 01, 2005, 10:23am
Official Forum Member

Send a message via AIM to ChuckElias
Quote:
Originally posted by Love this Game
We dont have to go the length of the court to administer a free throw. We just put it in play at the POI.

I realize you're speaking as a player, but I can't let this one slide. After a team control foul, the ball is not put in play at the POI. Remember at the POI, Team A had the ball. So if we put the ball back in at the POI, we'd have to give it to Team A after that team committed the foul. The ball is always given to the offended team at the spot closest to where the team control foul occured.

Quote:
I would not like this call based on the fact that A1 has the ball A2 set an illegal screen on B1 and B team is shooting 1 and 1. Especially near the end of the game and we are down 1.

If an official calls an illegal screen in the last minute of a one point game, s/he will be lucky to walk off the court in one piece. Your scenario is just not going to happen unless the kid goes into a 3-point stance and bull-rushes the defender. And no player is going to do that with a one point lead and 30 seconds left. Don't even worry about this scenario.
Old Mon Aug 01, 2005, 11:40am
In Memoriam

Quote:
Originally posted by ChuckElias
Quote:
We dont have to go the length of the court to administer a free throw. We just put it in play at the POI.

I realize you're speaking as a player, but I can't let this one slide. After a team control foul, the ball is not put in play at the POI. Remember at the POI, Team A had the ball. So if we put the ball back in at the POI, we'd have to give it to Team A after that team committed the foul. The ball is always given to the offended team at the spot closest to where the team control foul occured.

Just to add slightly to that, the POI and the spot closest to the foul could be different spots on any team control foul anyway. Forget "POI" on team control fouls.
Old Mon Aug 01, 2005, 11:48am
Official Forum Member

Send a message via AIM to rainmaker
Quote:
Originally posted by tomegun
I think there is a big fuss about a small change.
Maybe, but we don't have any big deals to make a big fuss about, so we're just settling for second best. That's the way it is around here in August.

BTW, Love this Game, there will be FEWER foul shots...
Old Mon Aug 01, 2005, 11:54am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally posted by rainmaker
Quote:
Originally posted by tomegun
I think there is a big fuss about a small change.
Maybe, but we don't have any big deals to make a big fuss about, so we're just settling for second best. That's the way it is around here in August.

BTW, Love this Game, there will be FEWER foul shots...
I think I did say it will be fewer foul shots, and for the other post before yours.

I just dont like the rule change as a player, I like it as an official because no more walking the length of the floor to administer foul shots.

This is just my opinion and to answer your ? if A2 sets a screen and gains an advantage on B1 when he trys to get around it and moves in to B1 yes I will call it and you should to.

I love officiating off ball that is where all the action is.

15 Year OHSAA BASKETBALL OFFICIAL
10 Year NSA Umpire
Old Mon Aug 01, 2005, 12:15pm
Official Forum Member

Send a message via AIM to Dan_ref
Quote:
If an official calls an illegal screen in the last minute of a one point game, s/he will be lucky to walk off the court in one piece.
I disagree.
Quote:
Your scenario is just not going to happen unless the kid goes into a 3-point stance and bull-rushes the defender.
I disagree.
Quote:
And no player is going to do that with a one point lead and 30 seconds left.
I disagree
Quote:
Don't even worry about this scenario.
What me worry?

Old Mon Aug 01, 2005, 12:27pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally posted by Dan_ref
I disagree.
I disagree.
I disagree
I'm shocked. Shocked, I tell you!

I anxiously await the story of the next time (make that, the first time) you call a moving screen in the last 30 seconds of a one point game. That oughta be a good one.
Old Mon Aug 01, 2005, 12:31pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Quote:
I disagree.
I disagree.
I disagree
I'm shocked. Shocked, I tell you!

I anxiously await the story of the next time (make that, the first time) you call a moving screen in the last 30 seconds of a one point game. That oughta be a good one.
Why wouldn't I call it?

Why wouldn't you call it?
Old Mon Aug 01, 2005, 12:42pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Because at camp last year, I was involved in just such a game. Great game, one or two point game, with under 30 seconds to go. "Championship" game for the age group. To me, no big deal; but probably was important to the campers.

During the last time-out, a D1 assignor came onto the court to talk to the crew. Here is the one-sided conversation:

"This has been a great game and you guys have done a helluva job. Now, you see that tree over there? The one a quarter mile past the last cabin? If you call a foul now, it better be visible to the grandma who's sitting under that tree. Got it? Good."

Now, moving screens generally do not fall under that description, unless the kid gets down into a 3-point stance and flattens the defender. And that's not going to happen.
Old Mon Aug 01, 2005, 12:49pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Quote:
Because at camp last year, I was involved in just such a game. Great game, one or two point game, with under 30 seconds to go. "Championship" game for the age group. To me, no big deal; but probably was important to the campers.

During the last time-out, a D1 assignor came onto the court to talk to the crew. Here is the one-sided conversation:

"This has been a great game and you guys have done a helluva job. Now, you see that tree over there? The one a quarter mile past the last cabin? If you call a foul now, it better be visible to the grandma who's sitting under that tree. Got it? Good."

Now, moving screens generally do not fall under that description, unless the kid gets down into a 3-point stance and flattens the defender. And that's not going to happen.
I wonder what your assignor friend might have said if an obvious illegal screen allowed a well guarded A1 to get open enough & pop in an uncontested 10 footer for the game.

In any event, I still disagree that it couldn't happen and I disagree that I wouldn't call it when it does happen.

Old Mon Aug 01, 2005, 12:56pm
In Memoriam

Quote:
Quote:
Quote:

I wonder what your assignor friend might have said if an obvious illegal screen allowed a well guarded A1 to get open enough & pop in an uncontested 10 footer for the game.

In any event, I still disagree that it couldn't happen and I disagree that I wouldn't call it when it does happen.

I agree with Dan.

However, if that assignor was my assignor, I'd agree with him too. To do otherwise would be...well...stoopid.
Old Mon Aug 01, 2005, 01:02pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Quote:

Sir I dont care if my mother came out and told me that, if an screen is set and that guy totally gains an advantage I am calling it.

1 point game team losing has teh ball, shooter runs the baseline and his teammate sets a screen as teh defender runs around the screener move into him and bumps him the shooter gets teh ball and makes the winning shot. Are you ok with the game being won that way, because you did not make the call.

That is chicken in my opinion. You have the shirt on and if you think that that play will change teh game so what call it.

Now dont call a little bump or a ticky tack foul. But if he was stupid enough to make the foul be strong enough to make the call and care less abt who cares.

I made a call like that 5 years ago, city championship. the coach that it went against and lost sees me every year and he says to me. Man i saw the play coming and you had the guts to call it. I get 3-4 games at his school every year.

Make the call. Make the call. Make the Call!!!!!!

10 Year NSA Umpire
Old Mon Aug 01, 2005, 01:06pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Quote:

And if you officiated such a great game why did he feel it necessary to come out on the court and tell you no to make that call. If it was such a great called game i see no reason for him to come out.

I think you will get more respect by making that call. Because at least people can say he/she was man enough to make it. If not you will be driving home with a look of guilt on your face.

[Edited by Love this Game on Aug 1st, 2005 at 02:30 PM]

10 Year NSA Umpire
Old Mon Aug 01, 2005, 01:22pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Sir I dont care if my mother came out and told me that,
To be honest, I don't care if your mother came out either.

Quote:
shooter runs the baseline and his teammate sets a screen as teh defender runs around the screener move into him and bumps him the shooter gets teh ball and makes the winning shot. Are you ok with the game being won that way, because you did not make the call.

That is chicken in my opinion.

Now dont call a little bump or a ticky tack foul.
Which way do you want it? Call the bump? Or don't call a little bump? I'm just asking.

Quote:
And if you officiated such a great game why did he feel it necessary to come out on the court and tell you no to make that call.

At least three reasons:

1) It was camp. That's what happens at camp. The observer comes out to talk to you during TO's and halftime.

2) One of my partners had considerably less experience than my other partner and I had. He wanted to make sure that we all were on the same page.

3) He wanted to make sure that a well-officiated game to that point ended as a well-officiated game. With 15 years of experience, you must know that you are remembered for your last call. He wanted to make sure that we understood the last call has to be a good call.

Quote:
And yes it might be not smart to make that call, I think you would get more respect by making the call if the call was there.

I'm sorry, but I have absolutely no idea what you're saying here. It's not smart, but call it anyway?
Old Mon Aug 01, 2005, 01:28pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Quote:

Quote:
shooter runs the baseline and his teammate sets a screen as teh defender runs around the screener move into him and bumps him the shooter gets teh ball and makes the winning shot. Are you ok with the game being won that way, because you did not make the call.

Which way do you want it? Call the bump? Or don't call a little bump? I'm just asking.

Quote:
And if you officiated such a great game why did he feel it necessary to come out on the court and tell you no to make that call.

At least three reasons:

1) It was camp. That's what happens at camp. The observer comes out to talk to you during TO's and halftime.

2) One of my partners had considerably less experience than my other partner and I had. He wanted to make sure that we all were on the same page.

3) He wanted to make sure that a well-officiated game to that point ended as a well-officiated game. With 15 years of experience, you must know that you are remembered for your last call. He wanted to make sure that we understood the last call has to be a good call.

Quote:
And yes it might be not smart to make that call, I think you would get more respect by making the call if the call was there.

I'm sorry, but I have absolutely no idea what you're saying here. It's not smart, but call it anyway?
What i was saying is this, even if it is not the call everyone wanted you to make if it is teh right call make it and be proud when you walk off the court that no matter what you made the right call. and that you could care less what anyone else thinks.

You have the stripes, you took the test, you passed, you do varsity games correct if so you call the best game you can, and if you upset someone with the call you made so what. if you make this call half of the gym is going to love you half will hate you.

If you dont make the call how would you feel driving home knowing that you di dnot make that call at all.

10 Year NSA Umpire
Old Mon Aug 01, 2005, 01:47pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Quote:

Quote:

Quote:

At least three reasons:

Quote:

No what i am saying is this, call advantage disadvantage. If this guy is bumped but did not gain an advantage then let the play go, but if there is an advantage gained call it that is what i am saying. Advantage - DisAdvantage

10 Year NSA Umpire