Thread: Move Up?
View Single Post
Old Wed Jul 27, 2005, 02:32pm
Official Forum Member

Question

I will be starting my third year officiating this fall. The last two have been very enjoyable, though my first year was overwhelming at times. By the end of last year I felt very comfortable on the court. I put in the effort and it paid off for me.

I missed my first opportunity (last winter) to become a Class I official (which would allow me to work varsity games. Is that the same in each state?) My question is how would I be perceived by other officials if I do not pursue the move up anytime soon?

It's not that I don't think I can do it, just that I'm not sure I want to. Maybe that will change in a few years, but right now, I enjoy the JV and Freshman games, and can get home early if I choose, or I can hang around for the varsity matchup.

The local association says it would be good to get the Class I, even if I didn't get assigned, or choose to work, any varsity games for a while. I figure I need to follow that advice.

Anyone out there that doesn't work the varsity games for one reason or another? Any other thoughts?