Go Back   The Official Forum > Basketball
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Thu Jun 23, 2005, 12:00pm
In Memoriam

Lightbulb

Quote:
Originally posted by Nu1
I've seen some say "BallBallBall..." whenver they closely guard someone. This is whether or not the offensive player has used their dribble. Then there would be a change to "DeadDeadDead..." to seemingly alert the defense to the fact that the dribble was used. Perhaps players now play defensive a little more tightly in hopes of getting the 5 second count.
Don't think so, Nu1.
I'm thinking the trap is on, or the trap is off.

The di,di,di,di,di,di,di,di,di is merely easier to say and less breath consuming, cuz you don't hafta close your mouth for the "B".
mick
Old Thu Jun 23, 2005, 12:00pm
Official Forum Member

Send a message via AIM to ChuckElias
Quote:
Originally posted by brainbrian
... I'm always looking for new comments, as well as some new ones for the free-throw line.
Here's all you need for the FT lane. If the shooter has 2 FTs coming, you say, "TWO!" If the shooter has 1 FT, you say "ONE!" If it's one-and-one, you say, "ONE-AND-ONE!"

Don't try to be clever. Just give the information you need to.

And please, never call a female player "princess". That's pretty condescending, IMHO.
Old Thu Jun 23, 2005, 12:19pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally posted by mick
Quote:
Originally posted by Nu1
I've seen some say "BallBallBall..." whenver they closely guard someone. This is whether or not the offensive player has used their dribble. Then there would be a change to "DeadDeadDead..." to seemingly alert the defense to the fact that the dribble was used. Perhaps players now play defensive a little more tightly in hopes of getting the 5 second count.
Don't think so, Nu1.
I'm thinking the trap is on, or the trap is off.

The di,di,di,di,di,di,di,di,di is merely easier to say and less breath consuming, cuz you don't hafta close your mouth for the "B".
mick
Perhaps. But the times I remember hearing and seeing this did not involve a trap. It was "DeadDeadDead..." once the dribble was used.
Old Thu Jun 23, 2005, 12:33pm
Official Forum Member

Send a message via MSN to VaLadyRef
Quote:
You think it would be taken as me trying to hit on the girl or something?
It's the 'or something' that I would be concerned about. There is usually a negative connotation associated with being called a 'princess', and it might just be best to avoid having to deal with any misunderstandings... That being said, I think that there are appropriate times for some humor.
Old Thu Jun 23, 2005, 12:48pm
Official Forum Member

Send a message via AIM to drothamel
My personal preference is to refer to the boys as "gentlemen" and the girls as "ladies." As in, "nice hustle, gentlemen," after a held ball scramble.

As far as throw-ins are concerned, I always try to ask the thrower if he or she is ready before I hand it over (of course this doesn't apply if I think they are causing undue delay). If I am going to bounce it, I let the thrower know I am going to bounce it. I always try to be very deliberate and exagerate my signal when letting the thrower know if it is a spot throw or an end-line run. I want everyone to know what is going on.

For free throws, I will occaisionaly take that time to address something short with the players, since everyone is there. I may say, "nice job everyone, now keep it up." Or, "let's keep our hands off the cutters, please."

I am of the opinion that if you keep it short and direct, you can almost never over-communicate.
Old Thu Jun 23, 2005, 12:51pm
Official Forum Member

Age is no excuse

Being 18 is not an excuse for being unprofessional. I would hope that you would take your officiating responsibilities seriously and execute them to the best of your abilities. Coming up with cute nicknames for the players is not one of your responsibilities. If you want to get ahead in this business, you have be a professional.
Old Thu Jun 23, 2005, 01:26pm
In Memoriam

Arrow

Quote:
Originally posted by drothamel
My personal preference is to refer to the boys as "gentlemen" and the girls as "ladies." As in, "nice hustle, gentlemen," after a held ball scramble.
My personal preference is their *Number* or Color.
mick

Old Thu Jun 23, 2005, 01:29pm
Official Forum Member

Send a message via AIM to drothamel
Thumbs up

Mick,

Agreed, I go with number or color when I am addressing an individual player. I was just refering to a group of players.
Old Thu Jun 23, 2005, 01:37pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Quote:
Originally posted by ChuckElias
Don't try to be clever. Just give the information you need to.
What's wrong with having fun? The information is passed on, and a little extra fun.
I didn't say not to have fun. I said don't be clever. Sometimes it comes across the wrong way. There's nothing wrong with having fun at the appropriate time. And sometimes, the FT lane is the time for that fun. When I've fumbled the ball after a made FT and one of the players grabs it for me, I sometimes say, "Good hands. That's why you're still playing and I'm not." But when you're administering the FT is not the time to be clever. The information might get lost, or the comment may be distracting to the players.

Quote:
Quote:
And please, never call a female player "princess". That's pretty condescending, IMHO.
But what's wrong with that one?
[/b]I already told you. In my opinion, calling a sweating, athletic young woman "princess" is condescending, since she's obviously not going for the princess look. When she's dressed for the prom (and she's your date), it's appropriate to say "You're as beautiful as a princess". But the basketball court isn't the time to say it. Others have mentioned professionalism, and I would have to agree that "princess" doesn't come across as being professional.

Quote:
Been reading urbandictionary.com or something?
Never heard of it. I doubt I would care much for it.
Old Fri Jun 24, 2005, 10:32pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally posted by ChrisSportsFan
Quote:
Originally posted by refnrev
I just slap the ball then give it the the player about to inbound the ball. Don't really know how I started doing it, but it works for me.
You started doing it your Junior year in HS when your coach made your the thrower on all inbound plays and now you keep having flashbacks to those glory years.
-----------------------------------------------------------
My high school team won the state championship when I was a senior. Even at 6'1 I was too short and too slow to make the team. Out of five starters, 3 played college basketball and two played college football. One of those two went on to play for the Packers. That's why all four years of letters on my letter jacket were for Band!
Old Fri Jun 24, 2005, 10:41pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
"Here you go princess" (ladies game)
"Here you go soldier" (mens game)

I like to mix things up, keep people on their toes. I'm always looking for new comments, as well as some new ones for the free-throw line.
-----------------------------------------------------------
brainbrian,
I'd forego the soldier/princess thing. It's a little condescending and a little too familiar IMHO. I'd opt for Sir and Mam, or ladies and men/gentlemen. You have to be very careful to guard yourself against any hint of something that could be totally innocent but misconstrued (Sp?) these days.

Old Sun Jun 26, 2005, 01:21am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Quote:
Originally posted by Dribble
Similarly, I say, "You have the full baseline"
I used to say, "You have the whole baseline" until one kid said to me in a panic, "I have to hold here?!?!" So now I just say "You can run" or "Spot".

Quote:
Just like how I wouldn't want a kid using one or two word lines on me, I try to use full sentences because it really doesn't take that much longer, it's more respectable and is a little step that I think builds more rapport.
I'm not too concerned with building rapport in these situations. I'm more concerned with being able to say to the coach, "Coach, I told him he had to stay" after calling a violation.
I think you're looking a little too short-term when you say you're not concerned with building rapport. Developing a good relationship with others is probably the biggest challenge we have as officials and anything we do to make things easier is beneficial. As we all know, players end up becoming coaches, ADs and even officials in the future and being able to establish a good relationship early on increases our credibility, professionalism and presence with everyone in the gym.
Old Sun Jun 26, 2005, 05:12am
In Memoriam

Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
Similarly, I say, "You have the full baseline"
I used to say, "You have the whole baseline" until one kid said to me in a panic, "I have to hold here?!?!" So now I just say "You can run" or "Spot".

Quote:
Just like how I wouldn't want a kid using one or two word lines on me, I try to use full sentences because it really doesn't take that much longer, it's more respectable and is a little step that I think builds more rapport.
I'm not too concerned with building rapport in these situations. I'm more concerned with being able to say to the coach, "Coach, I told him he had to stay" after calling a violation.
I think you're looking a little too short-term when you say you're not concerned with building rapport. Developing a good relationship with others is probably the biggest challenge we have as officials and anything we do to make things easier is beneficial. As we all know, players end up becoming coaches, ADs and even officials in the future and being able to establish a good relationship early on increases our credibility, professionalism and presence with everyone in the gym.
And maybe we can all go for cookies and warm milk after the game too.

You're only as good as your last call, and only then if that call happened to go in the favor of that particular coach/player/team. Been that way forever and it ain't gonna change no matter how warm and fuzzy you try to be. A good official is seen but not noticed and doesn't waste time politicking.

Note that I'm not saying not to be polite- and communicative when necessary. Treat 'em with the respect that you expect them to show to you. It's just that I've found that coachs and players usually would rather concentrate on the game rather than bother with us trying to build up that ol' rapport with them. The only rapport they usually want during a game is getting their "fair" share of the calls--i.e. about 75/80% of them.

Jmo.

[Edited by Jurassic Referee on Jun 26th, 2005 at 03:46 PM]
Old Sun Jun 26, 2005, 09:41am
Official Forum Member

Send a message via AIM to rainmaker
Quote:
Originally posted by Jurassic Referee
Note that I'm not saying to be polite-
God forbid we should be polite!!
Old Sun Jun 26, 2005, 11:22am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Quote:
I think you're looking a little too short-term when you say you're not concerned with building rapport.
No offense, Dribble, but if you read my whole reply, I said I'm not concerned with building rapport in these situations. Rapport is great, but trying to build it while the inbounder is trying to decide which play to call, and see which teammate is going to pop open, and remember how to run the play he's supposed to call is not the time to do it. JMO.

The only thing that situation calls for is "SPOT!" or "You can run!"