The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Basketball
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Wed Jun 22, 2005, 10:01pm
Official Forum Member

I say "Ready", "You can run the line", or "It's a spot throwin".
Old Wed Jun 22, 2005, 11:29pm
Official Forum Member

I just slap the ball then give it the the player about to inbound the ball. Don't really know how I started doing it, but it works for me.
Old Thu Jun 23, 2005, 03:23am
Official Forum Member

Send a message via AIM to rainmaker
With boys, it doesn't seem to be as necessary. In girls' games, I often say something to get the attention of the thrower, who isn't looking at the ball. For some reason, girls usually just aren't noticing, and won't take the ball. I either blow the whistle, or yell, "Play" or say, "Ready?" or something that lets the thrower know to look.
Old Thu Jun 23, 2005, 05:17am
In Memoriam

Quote:
Originally posted by rainmaker
In girls' games, I often say something to get the attention of the thrower, who isn't looking at the ball. For some reason, girls usually just aren't noticing, and won't take the ball. I either blow the whistle, or yell, "Play" or say, "Ready?" or something that lets the thrower know to look.
Why don't you just holler in their ear "BallBallBallBallBallBallBallBallBallBallBallBallBa ll........"?

That should get their attention.
Old Thu Jun 23, 2005, 07:05am
Official Forum Member

I was trying to look this up on the computer version of the rule book, but my search didn't pull the right section up.

Where would I find, or, please just describe the referee's mechanics on a throw-in?

My primary question is, In the NBA and I think NCAA, I notice the refs will toss the ball to the inbounder, which does allow them to be in a better area to watch what is going on. But in high school, a hand-off is primarily used. Is it stated in the rule book how to handle transferring the ball to the player on throw-ins?

I had a game last year and I just got the sense that this one ref really wanted to get home. He changed the pre-game warm-up from 15 minutes to 10, (starting the game 5 minutes early), he changed half-time from 10 minutes to 7, and then in the second half I noticed he stopped handing the ball off and instead started tossing the ball to the inbounder. Well one time my inbounder wasn't expecting the toss and fumbled it onto the court, and was called for a violation.
Old Thu Jun 23, 2005, 07:52am
In Memoriam

Lightbulb

Quote:
Originally posted by TigerBball
I was trying to look this up on the computer version of the rule book, but my search didn't pull the right section up.

Where would I find, or, please just describe the referee's mechanics on a throw-in?

My primary question is, In the NBA and I think NCAA, I notice the refs will toss the ball to the inbounder, which does allow them to be in a better area to watch what is going on. But in high school, a hand-off is primarily used. Is it stated in the rule book how to handle transferring the ball to the player on throw-ins?

I had a game last year and I just got the sense that this one ref really wanted to get home. He changed the pre-game warm-up from 15 minutes to 10, (starting the game 5 minutes early), he changed half-time from 10 minutes to 7, and then in the second half I noticed he stopped handing the ball off and instead started tossing the ball to the inbounder. Well one time my inbounder wasn't expecting the toss and fumbled it onto the court, and was called for a violation.
TigerBball,
In the Officials Manual it says hand or bounce, not toss.
(Maybe it says something else, now, but I doubt it.)

I bounce on all sidelines and backcourt end lines without pressure.

I hand the ball for all frontcourt end lines, and I hand the ball for backcourt end lines with pressure (to avoid that critical fumble situation of which you write).
mick

Old Thu Jun 23, 2005, 08:18am
Official Forum Member

Thanks Mick

As I thought about it more, I would assume that most refs hand off in Jr. High (which is what I coach) because it takes too long to try to point out or explain to the 12-13 year old player where to stand. The hand off lets you as a ref set the spot for the throw in, because it seems to be common for the players to keep moving toward the ref if he plans on "bouncing" the ball to him. So then the ref has to say "back up", or "hold your spot" etc.

After a few Jr. High games I would think most guys would give up on the bounce and just hand-off for simplicity sake.

Thank you for the clarification though, I really thought in high school you were supposed to hand-off.

Old Thu Jun 23, 2005, 08:52am
In Memoriam

Lightbulb

Quote:
Thanks Mick

As I thought about it more, I would assume that most refs hand off in Jr. High (which is what I coach) because it takes too long to try to point out or explain to the 12-13 year old player where to stand. The hand off lets you as a ref set the spot for the throw in, because it seems to be common for the players to keep moving toward the ref if he plans on "bouncing" the ball to him. So then the ref has to say "back up", or "hold your spot" etc.

After a few Jr. High games I would think most guys would give up on the bounce and just hand-off for simplicity sake.

Thank you for the clarification though, I really thought in high school you were supposed to hand-off.
Coach,
In my opinion, the junior high player wants to be treated the same as a varsity or college player. With that in mind, I generally handle Jr. High ball the same way, same mechanic.

There are occasions where, like you say, the player will come to the official, but in those instances (particularly early in the season) I use a *small* stop sign with the player and say, "Yer good.", as I am backing away to make the bounce. Sometimes, I have to verbalize the same thing for those newer/younger varsity players.

They git it quickly enough.
mick

My *small" stop sign is an open palm directed lower than the face.

Old Thu Jun 23, 2005, 09:10am
Official Forum Member

The Junior High player wants to be treated the same way as a high school or college player, ain't that the truth.

You have just summed up why it takes a special type of coach to coach Jr. High. They want all the star treatment of a varsity player but want to put in the effort of a rec league player. My job is to get them to put in the effort of a Varsity player and be happy if I treat them like a rec league player.

What ends up happening is they start putting in the effort of a Jr. High player, and I ease up and treat them like a Jr. High player. Then we can start learning this wonderful game together.
Old Thu Jun 23, 2005, 09:23am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally posted by refnrev
I just slap the ball then give it the the player about to inbound the ball. Don't really know how I started doing it, but it works for me.
You started doing it your Junior year in HS when your coach made your the thrower on all inbound plays and now you keep having flashbacks to those glory years.
Old Thu Jun 23, 2005, 09:26am
Official Forum Member

Quote:

Even with doing all that, he probably only got home 9 minutes earlier. WOW! Why do these guys keep accepting games if they don't want to be there?
Old Thu Jun 23, 2005, 11:02am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally posted by Jurassic Referee
Quote:
In girls' games, I often say something to get the attention of the thrower, who isn't looking at the ball. For some reason, girls usually just aren't noticing, and won't take the ball. I either blow the whistle, or yell, "Play" or say, "Ready?" or something that lets the thrower know to look.
Why don't you just holler in their ear "BallBallBallBallBallBallBallBallBallBallBallBallBa ll........"?

I save that for when a player is blankly looking around trying to figure out where to throw the dead ball.

And as long as we're on the subject, I've noticed a change this year in the "BallBallBallBall.." It seems to have evaolved into "DeadDeadDeadDeadDead..." Anyone have any clue why?
Old Thu Jun 23, 2005, 11:03am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally posted by brainbrian
... I'm always looking for new comments, as well as some new ones for the free-throw line.
I'm not sure you get extra "points" for originality!
Old Thu Jun 23, 2005, 11:48am
In Memoriam

Quote:
Originally posted by brainbrian
"Here you go princess" (ladies game)
"Here you go soldier" (mens game)
Old Thu Jun 23, 2005, 11:50am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Quote:
Originally posted by Jurassic Referee
Quote:

I save that for when a player is blankly looking around trying to figure out where to throw the dead ball.

And as long as we're on the subject, I've noticed a change this year in the "BallBallBallBall.." It seems to have evaolved into "DeadDeadDeadDeadDead..." Anyone have any clue why?
I've seen some say "BallBallBall..." whenver they closely guard someone. This is whether or not the offensive player has used their dribble. Then there would be a change to "DeadDeadDead..." to seemingly alert the defense to the fact that the dribble was used. Perhaps players now play defensive a little more tightly in hopes of getting the 5 second count.