certified Hot Mom tester

Talking

Quote:
Originally posted by Dan_ref
Quote:
Originally posted by M&M Guy
Quote:
Originally posted by Jurassic Referee
That would be the same as me taking my head out my stanchion,right?
Only if it's tipping.
Speaking of tipping...JR is so cheap he thinks tipping is a city in China....hey, is this thing on...?
My wife said she started doing Tai Kwando. I was OK with it until I found out Tai Kwando is some Chinese guy down the street.

Thanks. I'll be here all week. Try the veal.
Old Tue Jun 28, 2005, 02:12pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally posted by rainmaker

Is it too late in this thread to go off on a tangent? What do you do when you're ready to hand the ball for the throw-in, and the player who is supposed to do the actual throwing is standing just in-bounds, waiting for everyone to be in place? Do you just wait? When is this delay? When do you say something? When is it illegal?
It's never too late to go off on a tangent. And, apparently, never too early, either.

I've had this happen a couple of times as well. Sometimes you just have to be a little more assertive in getting their attention. I've grabbed their arm and (gently) pulled them where they needed to be. Of course in this day and age, use with extreme caution. Another thing I've done is stand directly in front of them so they have no choice but to look at me, and then I tell them they need to back up a little, or send them to the right spot. Usually, it's just a matter of the player missing the play call from the coach, and they're hoping coach will say it again. Of course, after all this, if you feel they are ignoring you on purpose, you can always start the resuming play procedure. (I think there's an article or two about that on officiating.com. )

(Used with permission.)
Old Tue Jun 28, 2005, 04:00pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Quote:

Communication is essential. I'm not saying we shouldn't communicate with the players, I'm just against the announcment-type comment, "Play!". Or, "Ready!". Or, "I'm going to hand the ball to the player that's out-of-bounds, so I sure hope everyone is ready to go, because I sure am!" It just draws too much attention to us when it's not necessary. I almost always say something to the player as I'm handing (or bouncing) the ball to them. "You're on the spot." "Ready, 22?" "Got the right play from coach?" But it's just between me and the player, not the big, overall announcement.
For me, a fair amount of the time, the player I'm handing the ball to needs the "big overall announcement." If I skip that part, we never do get a throw-in carried out.

Is it too late in this thread to go off on a tangent? What do you do when you're ready to hand the ball for the throw-in, and the player who is supposed to do the actual throwing is standing just in-bounds, waiting for everyone to be in place? Do you just wait? When is this delay? When do you say something? When is it illegal?
Watch your feet.

Old Tue Jun 28, 2005, 04:30pm
Official Forum Member

Send a message via AIM to rainmaker
Quote:
Quote:

What do you do when you're ready to hand the ball for the throw-in, and the player who is supposed to do the actual throwing is standing just in-bounds, waiting for everyone to be in place? Do you just wait?
I've had this happen a couple of times as well. Sometimes you just have to be a little more assertive in getting their attention. I've grabbed their arm and (gently) pulled them where they needed to be. Of course in this day and age, use with extreme caution. Another thing I've done is stand directly in front of them so they have no choice but to look at me, and then I tell them they need to back up a little, or send them to the right spot. Usually, it's just a matter of the player missing the play call from the coach, and they're hoping coach will say it again. Of course, after all this, if you feel they are ignoring you on purpose, you can always start the resuming play procedure. (I think there's an article or two about that on officiating.com. )
What I did was to reach forward to hand her the ball, and as she started to take it, pulled it away, and it made her look at me. I gestured to the oob spot, and then re-handed the ball. In the process, she took the ball, and then I started the count. After the second one of these, she didn't do this anymore. But it was clearly a tactic that she was using to stall for time, and I wondered if I didn't confront it, how far it would go. Wasn't willing to experiemnt since it wasn't a running clock. If I get a chance to play around with this, I"ll report back.
Old Tue Jun 28, 2005, 09:40pm
Official Forum Member

If they refuse to take the ball, forcibly hand it to them (obviously without knocking the wind out of them or the like).

If they still don't take it, put the ball on the floor and start counting.
Old Tue Jun 28, 2005, 10:03pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally posted by blindzebra
Quote:
Quote:

Communication is essential. I'm not saying we shouldn't communicate with the players, I'm just against the announcment-type comment, "Play!". Or, "Ready!". Or, "I'm going to hand the ball to the player that's out-of-bounds, so I sure hope everyone is ready to go, because I sure am!" It just draws too much attention to us when it's not necessary. I almost always say something to the player as I'm handing (or bouncing) the ball to them. "You're on the spot." "Ready, 22?" "Got the right play from coach?" But it's just between me and the player, not the big, overall announcement.
For me, a fair amount of the time, the player I'm handing the ball to needs the "big overall announcement." If I skip that part, we never do get a throw-in carried out.

Watch your feet.

"Toe-check"

Recently had a game where the thrower would bend down and fiddle with his laces so his team could get set. On the second time, I put the ball beside him and started counting. They decided not to do that anymore. I can appreciate the coach preparing his team to do such a thing but hey coach, I've got another game after this one and we don't need to run behind.

[Edited by ChrisSportsFan on Jun 28th, 2005 at 11:08 PM]