The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Basketball
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Tue May 24, 2005, 06:30pm
Official Forum Member

Guys I use 2 hands all the time except in my assosciation games and games where my partner wants to use one hand. I don't do it because it is faster I do it because I feel while I am saying "red 23" the bookeeper sees both numbers instead of their being a delay on the three after you have done said it. I hate saying "red two, three", with a passion, don't know why I just do. I do agree it would cause some confusion though because the NBA is the only group of officials that use this but that is because there are only about 60 officials, whereas there are about 200 in my local assosciation. I think alot of guys would have problems going right to left on their hands so the bookeeper could read left to right.

I just threw this around for some feedback on what people thought. Good insights.
Old Tue May 24, 2005, 08:04pm
Official Forum Member

Send a message via AIM to Dan_ref
Quote:
Originally posted by refTN
Guys I use 2 hands all the time except in my assosciation games and games where my partner wants to use one hand. I don't do it because it is faster I do it because I feel while I am saying "red 23" the bookeeper sees both numbers instead of their being a delay on the three after you have done said it. I hate saying "red two, three", with a passion, don't know why I just do. I do agree it would cause some confusion though because the NBA is the only group of officials that use this but that is because there are only about 60 officials, whereas there are about 200 in my local assosciation. I think alot of guys would have problems going right to left on their hands so the bookeeper could read left to right.

I just threw this around for some feedback on what people thought. Good insights.
I never say "red two, three" I just say "red" - give the hand signal for the complete number - then say "twenty-three". If it's loud (not that any of my games get loud) I'll say the number again. If the scorer looks at me like I have 2 heads I'll repeat it. Always works.

Now, imagine you're used to receiving numbers given with 1 hand, and some young buck ambles up and gives the number with 2 hands. Ya know what I'm gonna do as you walk away?

Hooooooooonnnnkkkkkk!!!!!!!!!!!!

"Hey ref, what was that number again?"
Old Tue May 24, 2005, 08:33pm
Do not give a damn!!

Quote:
Originally posted by Dan_ref

I never say "red two, three" I just say "red" - give the hand signal for the complete number - then say "twenty-three". If it's loud (not that any of my games get loud) I'll say the number again. If the scorer looks at me like I have 2 heads I'll repeat it. Always works.

Now, imagine you're used to receiving numbers given with 1 hand, and some young buck ambles up and gives the number with 2 hands. Ya know what I'm gonna do as you walk away?

Hooooooooonnnnkkkkkk!!!!!!!!!!!!

"Hey ref, what was that number again?"

I say "two-three." I think it is better than hearing "twenty-three" or "thirteen." The words "twenty, thirty, forty" all sound the same if there is a lot going on as it relates to noise. I think saying the numbers that way separates the numbers and simplifies what the scorer hears and sees. I think it is also simple for the official so you know exactly what you said.

Then again that is just my opinion.

Peace
Old Tue May 24, 2005, 11:00pm
Official Forum Member

Send a message via AIM to rainmaker
Quote:
Originally posted by rockyroad
I liked it...it was easy to catch on to...the right hands is for the 10's, and the left is for the one's digits...set it as you are walking and then both hands go up at once...
"Lock and load", as we were told at camp. It was so easy, even I caught on after three days. If I can do it anyone can, eh, DJ?
Old Wed May 25, 2005, 12:36am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
I can't help but be anal when it comes to basketball officiating. It is my advocation, it is my passion.
If this is the case, I think you would insist on calling "by the book," including standard signals and reporting. It's not really a matter of if you like it that way, but if you conform to what's expected (by those who know proper mechanics).

My pet peeves (for HS games):
The three point signal (who signals when and how) with the added unnecessary "two point signal."

The "tip" signal.

The "wider than 6 feet closely guarded" signal.

Instead of pointing and stating "Blue," yelling some nonsense like "stays here," "going the other way," or
"off Red."
Old Wed May 25, 2005, 09:14am
Esteemed Participant

Quote:
Originally posted by Jurassic Referee
Will you bear my children?

Ewwwwwwwwwwww....
Old Wed May 25, 2005, 09:26am
In Memoriam

Quote:
Quote:

Ewwwwwwwwwwww....
Is that a "no"?

Or a "maybe"?
Old Wed May 25, 2005, 09:34am
Huck Finn

Quote:
Originally posted by Macaroo
Quote:
I can't help but be anal when it comes to basketball officiating. It is my advocation, it is my passion.
If this is the case, I think you would insist on calling "by the book," including standard signals and reporting. It's not really a matter of if you like it that way, but if you conform to what's expected (by those who know proper mechanics).

My pet peeves (for HS games):
The three point signal (who signals when and how) with the added unnecessary "two point signal."

The "tip" signal.

The "wider than 6 feet closely guarded" signal.

Instead of pointing and stating "Blue," yelling some nonsense like "stays here," "going the other way," or
"off Red."
The preliminary signal used by the NBA is superior in my opinion than the signal for high school and college. If the shooter's foot is one the line I will signal two while they are shooting.

I don't hate the "tip" signal because there is no such signal.

The "not" closely guarded signal is OK I guess.

I was taught by my mentors to say the color instead of "that way" or "stay here." KISS
Old Wed May 25, 2005, 10:57am
Official Forum Member

Old school again

Since I was trained old school way back, I prefer one hand.

I was under the assumption that the sole reason for using one hand was to make the signal clear to the table. Using two hands is more than I can handle.

Verbally, I was trained to say, "white, 2-3", not white twentythree. Again, this was to make the communication clear to the table. Remember, with HS play, you usually get little johnny, or little suzie doing the book inbetween blowing bubbles. The vast majority of HS play does not involve paid scorekeepers as in the college game.

Since moving to the south, I can also understand why one might not want to say twentythree. Accents and such can make it difficult to understand.

Again, the purpose is to get officials to slow down when reporting. I guess it can be done effectively with two hands, but I've seen plenty of situations where the official reports the foul so quickly and then upon us switching, the table asks me, "what did he say?"

Also, I am seeing the reporting area move all over the place especially when working 3 whistle crews. From the baseline, from the corner, from midcourt, basically all over the place. This is not the way I was trained nor is it part of the Fed mechanics manual. Frankly, it is scary seeing some of the reporting techniques I've witnessed over the last 9 months. Then again, it might just be down here in the south. I've now worked in two southern states, and the reporting is all over the place, one hand, two hands, one digit, rapid fire, and one guy used to draw the numbers in the air!

So, I can understand why the Fed has a mechanic manual, and why standard mechanics are so important. If you don't think so, try moving to another state and or geographical area and work with people who have their own way of doing things.

goose
Old Wed May 25, 2005, 11:12am
Official Forum Member

Re: Old school again

Quote:
Originally posted by Goose
and one guy used to draw the numbers in the air!
Hey, I kinda like that! Now, did he "draw" them backwards so the table can see them correctly?

I'm a young guy (as far as I know...), but I prefer the single hand as well. We haven't heard from too many table people on this, but from the couple of times I was a table person I remember looking for the single hand was easier. In HS especially, the table personnel are usually volunteers, (parents or students), and we need to make sure their job is as easy as possible. A good table will not make us look better, but a bad table will make us look bad.

(Used with permission.)
Old Wed May 25, 2005, 11:21am
Esteemed Participant

Quote:
Quote:
Quote:

Ewwwwwwwwwwww....
Is that a "no"?

Or a "maybe"?
That is a most definite "NO"...always knew there was something wrong about you Yankees fans...
Old Wed May 25, 2005, 11:25am
Official Forum Member

Send a message via AIM to Dan_ref
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:

Ewwwwwwwwwwww....
Is that a "no"?

Or a "maybe"?
That is a most definite "NO"...always knew there was something wrong about you Yankees fans...
Speaking of that...where's Mick?

I wanted to thank him for letting his Tigers come out & play with the Yankees yesterday...
Old Wed May 25, 2005, 11:29am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:

Ewwwwwwwwwwww....
Is that a "no"?

Or a "maybe"?
Ok, ok, let's get this thread back on topic.

When the children are born, will they need to be held with one hand, or two?

(Used with permission.)
Old Wed May 25, 2005, 12:18pm
Esteemed Participant

Quote:
Originally posted by M&M Guy
[B

Ok, ok, let's get this thread back on topic.

When the children are born, will they need to be held with one hand, or two? [/B]
Well, I'm short...and JR's ugly...so if we did have offspring, I think the Dr. would take one look at that offspring and use both hands to start slapping us...

What a strange topic...

And as I said before, I like the two-hand reporting...it's simple, not confusing, and takes less time...
Old Wed May 25, 2005, 01:29pm
In Memoriam

Quote:
[/B]
Well, I'm short...and JR's ugly...so if we did have offspring... [/B][/QUOTE]It'll look like Chuck?