The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Basketball
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Fri May 27, 2005, 08:13am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally posted by tomegun
bigwhistle, you are partially right. In the upper level games the officials start the clock with precision time and stop the clock with the whistle. That is one reason they don't have the hand up but you are right, they aren't looking at us anyway.
Not all NCAA Conferences use the Precision Timing System. I know the Big Ten did not use the PTS this year. I do not think most of the Big 12 did either.
Old Fri May 27, 2005, 09:12am
Huck Finn

Quote:
Originally posted by PS2Man
Quote:
Originally posted by tomegun
bigwhistle, you are partially right. In the upper level games the officials start the clock with precision time and stop the clock with the whistle. That is one reason they don't have the hand up but you are right, they aren't looking at us anyway.
Not all NCAA Conferences use the Precision Timing System. I know the Big Ten did not use the PTS this year. I do not think most of the Big 12 did either.
Agreed and I knew that. I'll try again.

Big whistle, when you see a men's D1 game and the NBA where the officials are using one hand to count and chop it is because they are using the precision time system. There could be some exceptions to this that I can't think of right now.

I think I'm covered now.
Old Fri May 27, 2005, 09:58am
Esteemed Participant

Quote:
Originally posted by bob jenkins
Quote:
Originally posted by rockyroad

Well, since it can't be done with one hand either, it's not really a valid question...
Sure it can. Give the sign language signal for #7, and then for #8. Each of those only takes one hand.

Then you can do it two-handed also, can't you? Sign the 7 with the right hand and the 8 with the left hand...

Man, we are cheaters!
Old Fri May 27, 2005, 03:22pm
Official Forum Member

I'm sure they'll just add this image to the signals chart next year.

- http://members.surfeu.fi/deaf/Numbers.jpg
Old Fri May 27, 2005, 04:25pm
Official Forum Member

Send a message via AIM to rainmaker
Quote:
Originally posted by brainbrian
I'm sure they'll just add this image to the signals chart next year.

- http://members.surfeu.fi/deaf/Numbers.jpg
What sign language is that?!? It's not ASL, nor SEE. by the "eu" in the link I wonder if it's a different language than English?
Old Fri May 27, 2005, 04:39pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally posted by drothamel

Not to muddy the waters, but I always find myself looking at the timekeeper instead of the scorer when I report. Even when I make initial eye contact with the scorer, I end up looking at the timekeeper. Does anyone else do that?
I've noticed far too many refs who do that. It's even worse when it happens at the D-I level, where I (as the scorer) am the ONLY person at the table wearing a striped shirt!
Old Fri May 27, 2005, 04:42pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally posted by Camron Rust

The question remains...what would you do? They still get to play with an illegal number...just at the cost of a T. So, the moment they check in, you're going to be reporting a foul on #78 (by the book).
As someone who's reffed intramurals for the past several years, it's simple. Report the number as "seventy-eight." And show seven fingers, then eight fingers (two hands together).

You have to think a bit more, but it doesn't take too long to get the hang of it.
Old Fri May 27, 2005, 06:37pm
Aleve Titles to Others

Send a message via AIM to 26 Year Gap
Why don't we go back to the days where the offender raised his/her hand? Most of the time it appears we are confirming what the scorer is about ready to write. I say "White. Two. Two." There is a guy around here who uses 2 hands and he looks like a clown because he has a wristwatch on one wrist and a bracelet on the other. And there is no way I am going to do ANYTHING that resembles him.
Old Fri May 27, 2005, 09:47pm
Official Forum Member

As a scorer, I'm going to chime in on the main issue here.

I actually prefer the 2 handed signal, as long as it is done consistently and CORRECTLY. Knowing my fair share of HS scorers, I'd be very wary about using it in a high school game.

As to the secondary question ("two-four" or "twenty-four"), I prefer for the official to state the entire number. First, while I am not the type of scorer who immediately turns away, once every few hundred fouls, the cute dancer on the sideline is going to catch my eye, or I will somehow miss the second part of the number. More importantly, though, I find it prevents problems with the number of free-throws. If white 21 fouls, I may hear it as white #2, shooting 1. (The problems are obvious when #11 fouls.)
Old Fri May 27, 2005, 11:14pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally posted by Mark Dexter
More importantly, though, I find it prevents problems with the number of free-throws. If white 21 fouls, I may hear it as white #2, shooting 1. (The problems are obvious when #11 fouls.)
This argument seems irrelevent because regardless of how you say 21 you're still going to end with "one." Either "two one" or "twenty-one."

But your other points make sense.
Old Mon May 30, 2005, 06:40pm
Official Forum Member

How long before 2 hands makes it to the college level? HS level?

I say it will be in college in 5 years and HS in 10 years? I would love if it came a lot sooner if it were me. I've seen no negatives besides at the lower levels there being an inexperienced bookeeper, and moving while reporting which I think supervisors will come around to, eventually.
Old Mon May 30, 2005, 09:53pm
Official Forum Member

Send a message via AIM to ChuckElias
Quote:
Originally posted by refTN
How long before 2 hands makes it to the college level? HS level?
NCAA women, 2-3 years (they already report on the move). NCAA men, 20-30 years. FED, 200-300 years.
Old Tue May 31, 2005, 09:30am
Official Forum Member

[QUOTE]Originally posted by ChuckElias
NCAA women, 2-3 years (they already report on the move)[/QUOTE

I think that's the best mechanic (as evidenced by the fact that I do it waaaaay too often).