The Official Forum

The Official Forum (https://forum.officiating.com/)
-   Basketball (https://forum.officiating.com/basketball/)
-   -   1 hand or 2 hands? (https://forum.officiating.com/basketball/20533-1-hand-2-hands.html)

refTN Tue May 24, 2005 03:21pm

Would anybody like to see foul reporting in the NFHS and NCAA go to reporting with 2 hands instead of with just one. I hate saying "white 21" and delay showing the 1 after I have already said it or how about "white two, one". JMO, I like saying "white 21" and showing both numbers at the same time. I can't help but be anal when it comes to basketball officiating. It is my advocation, it is my passion.

Anybody agree or disagree?

blindzebra Tue May 24, 2005 03:32pm

With two hands you are giving the table multiple things to look at, they have to process it left to right...we need to report it right to left...that can lead to confusion.

I frankly don't see an advantage to two hand reporting, unless your goal is to someday work in the NBA.

lukealex Tue May 24, 2005 03:40pm

Quote:

Originally posted by blindzebra
I frankly don't see an advantage to two hand reporting, unless your goal is to someday work in the NBA.
You must have missed his NBA Anyone thread.

http://www.officialforum.com/thread/20511

truerookie Tue May 24, 2005 03:56pm

I prefer one hand

ocreferee Tue May 24, 2005 03:59pm

The NCAA experimented last summer with using two handed reporting. My guess is they didn't like it since I haven't heard about it since.

[Edited by ocreferee on May 24th, 2005 at 05:01 PM]

Almost Always Right Tue May 24, 2005 04:03pm

I get dinged for this but I report with 2 hands when there are double numbers.
i.e. White 44
I was on the floor with my college assignor in the crowd and we came in at 1/2 time and he said, "That was a great call on the block but what's with the 2 hand mechanic? Next thing you know you will be changing your last name to Bevetta!"
AAR

Jurassic Referee Tue May 24, 2005 04:09pm

You use the proper mechanic that's applicable to the level you are officiating.

rockyroad Tue May 24, 2005 04:22pm

Quote:

Originally posted by ocreferee
The NCAA experimented last summer with using two handed reporting. My guess is they didn't like it since I haven't heard about it since.

[Edited by ocreferee on May 24th, 2005 at 05:01 PM]

The typical NCAA process is to experiment with something either over the summer or during pre-season/non-conference games, then get the feedback and institute any new rule or mechanic the season after next...so, they experimented with two hand reporting last summer - it they're going to change it, it would happen before this next season...

I liked it...it was easy to catch on to...the right hands is for the 10's, and the left is for the one's digits...set it as you are walking and then both hands go up at once...

rockyroad Tue May 24, 2005 04:25pm

Quote:

Originally posted by Jurassic Referee
JR, as always, you are the model of simpletons...er, I mean of simplemindedness...uhmmm, no that's not it...the model of simplicity - that's the word I was looking for!

Jurassic Referee Tue May 24, 2005 04:46pm

Quote:

Originally posted by rockyroad
Quote:

Originally posted by Jurassic Referee
JR, as always, you are the model of simpletons...er, I mean of simplemindedness...uhmmm, no that's not it...the model of simplicity - that's the word I was looking for!

That's the nicest thing that you've ever said to me.

Will you bear my children?

ShadowStripes Tue May 24, 2005 05:05pm

Chalk me up as a 2-handed fan. I also will use it some college and HS games for double numbers. Sometimes an inattentive table will only see one 4 of a 44 called with one hand and a foul gets charged to the wrong person. Really, it doesn't matter, the only people who notice are supervisors and other officials. Do it the way that causes you the least amount of grief.

tomegun Tue May 24, 2005 05:30pm

Quote:

Originally posted by ShadowStripes
Chalk me up as a 2-handed fan. I also will use it some college and HS games for double numbers. Sometimes an inattentive table will only see one 4 of a 44 called with one hand and a foul gets charged to the wrong person. Really, it doesn't matter, the only people who notice are supervisors and other officials. Do it the way that causes you the least amount of grief.
I guess I'm simple too because I think the least amount of grief would be caused by doing it the way the mechanics book says.
Often the problem with double numbers is:

1. Not using our voice at the table (louder)
2. Saying "four, four" instead of "forty, four"

Since we are going to the table anyway (moving or stationary, whichever the assigner wants) we should always be heard. Even when they put their head down on "forty" when they hear the "four" they should realize they have to pay attention. Of course that will not always happen. :D

tjones1 Tue May 24, 2005 06:01pm

I'll go with one. The foul reporting process isn't suppose to be super fast. You're suppose to slow down for a reason and that is so no confusion is caused at the table and they record the proper information.

ChuckElias Tue May 24, 2005 06:23pm

Not that my opinion matters much on this subject, but I like using two hands. It's not hard at all and I don't think there would be any confusion at the table.

JugglingReferee Tue May 24, 2005 06:28pm

When in Rome

An evaluator once wrote me up for holding my elbow (yes, with the other hand) when I showed two for two shots.

If evaluators are that picky, then use the signal style you're supposed to use.

Since I don't care to go anywhere, I vary my style from time to time. But if I do use two hands, I first put the the right hand (with say 4 fingers), then the left after a small delay (with say 4 fingers), for #44.