The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Basketball
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Mon May 23, 2005, 11:12am
Official Forum Member

Send a message via AIM to lukealex
Question

After a made basket, the team inbounding the ball can have A1 pick up the ball, pass to A2 who is also OOB, and resume the throw-in.

Can this also be done on an in-bounds play that doesn't follow a made basket?

What are some rules about this situation, I'm not real clear on the provisions.
Old Mon May 23, 2005, 11:32am
In Memoriam

You can also do it on an "awarded" basket. Note that this includes made or awarded free throws also.

You can't do it on any "spot" throw-ins.

The team throwing the ball in can have any number of players OOB at the same time. The only restriction is that you have 5 seconds to release the ball directly towards the court.
Old Mon May 23, 2005, 11:42am
Official Forum Member

After an awarded basket by B, A can run the baseline, which includes having multiple players out of bounds along the end line. During A's 5 second count, they can pass between teammates who are oob along the end line, dribble, do whatever as long as they release the ball for an inbounds throw-in before the 5 second count is up.

If B violates during the throw-in (such as kicking the throw-in pass, A retains the "run the baseline" privilege if the inbounds spot is along the baseline. If the violation is up court, then the throw-in would be a designated spot nearest the violation.

If A or B call a time out following a basket, A retains the "run the baseline" privilege following the time out. If B fouls A during the throw-in, a designated spot throw-in would follow if A is not in the bonus.
Old Wed May 25, 2005, 02:19am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally posted by Ref in PA
If B fouls A during the throw-in, a designated spot throw-in would follow if A is not in the bonus.
You got everything else right.

ART. 7 . . . After a goal or awarded goal as in 7-4-3, the team not credited with the score shall make the throw-in from the end of the court where the goal was made and from any point outside the end line. A team retains this privilege if the scoring team commits a violation or common foul (before the bonus is in effect) and the ensuing throw-in spot would have been on the end line. Any player of the team may make a direct throw-in or he/she may pass the ball along the end line to a teammate(s) outside the boundary line.
Old Wed May 25, 2005, 02:28pm
Official Forum Member

Send a message via AIM to lukealex
When do restrictions on team B end?
Meaning when can B1 reach for the ball? After it crosses the end line or can B1 steal (or attempt to steal) the pass from A1 to A2, both of whom are OOB.
Old Wed May 25, 2005, 02:42pm
Official Forum Member

Check out Rule 9-2-9
Old Sat May 28, 2005, 04:52am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally posted by lukealex
When do restrictions on team B end?
Meaning when can B1 reach for the ball? After it crosses the end line or can B1 steal (or attempt to steal) the pass from A1 to A2, both of whom are OOB.
Rule 9, Section 2, ART. 11. . . The opponent(s) of the thrower shall not have any part of his/her person through the inbounds side of the throw-in boundary-line plane until the ball has been released on a throw-in pass.
NOTE: The thrower may penetrate the plane provided he/she does not touch the inbounds area before the ball is released on the throw-in pass. The opponent in this situation may legally touch or grasp the ball.

Rule 9, Section 2, Penalty #3
If an opponent(s) of the thrower reaches through the throw-in boundary-line plane and touches or dislodges the ball while in possession of the thrower or being passed to a teammate outside the boundary line (as in 7-5-7), a technical foul shall be charged to the offender. No warning for delay required. See 10-3-11 Penalty.
Old Sat May 28, 2005, 04:54am
Official Forum Member

College is different

Note that the above post is for NFHS only. The NCAA rule is different. In college the defender must wait until the ball breaks the OOB plane.
Old Sat May 28, 2005, 08:04pm
Official Forum Member

Re: College is different

Quote:
Originally posted by Nevadaref
Note that the above post is for NFHS only. The NCAA rule is different. In college the defender must wait until the ball breaks the OOB plane.
So the difference being, NFHS can go for the ball upon the release, but NCAA it must break the plane? Splitting hairs, isn't it?
Old Sat May 28, 2005, 10:26pm
Official Forum Member

Informal poll please...exactly how many of you would call a T if B1 tipped the ball so it remains OOB after A1 passed to A2 who is also behind the baseline after a made basket?

Unless it's glaring, then I'm simply going to call an OOB infraction on B and award the ball back to A. The only catch is that A's throw-in now becomes a "spot" throw-in and you may have given Team B an advantage.

Just thought I'd throw this out there...
Old Sun May 29, 2005, 01:11am
In Memoriam

Quote:
Originally posted by Dribble
Informal poll please...exactly how many of you would call a T if B1 tipped the ball so it remains OOB after A1 passed to A2 who is also behind the baseline after a made basket?

Unless it's glaring, then I'm simply going to call an OOB infraction on B and award the ball back to A. The only catch is that A's throw-in now becomes a "spot" throw-in and you may have given Team B an advantage.

May have given team B an advantage? Better change that to handed the defense a big unwarranted and unearned advantage.

I'd call the T. It's the right call. I don't believe in (a)making up my own rules (b)giving a team an advantage they don't deserve or (c)not being able to explain to an observer/evaluator(or a coach for that matter) why I didn't have the sack to make the right call. Jmo.
Old Sun May 29, 2005, 08:58am
Official Forum Member

Send a message via AIM to ChuckElias
Quote:
T. Easy one, too. Who can argue about it? It's obvious and it's clearly the rule.

Quote:
I'm simply going to call an OOB infraction on B and award the ball back to A. The only catch is that A's throw-in now becomes a "spot" throw-in and you may have given Team B an advantage.
Worst possible option. If you want to issue a delay warning, since the plane was broken first, I can see it. If you want to completely ignore it and let A continue their play, I can see it. I don't agree with either of those, but I can see why you'd go that way.

But calling it OOB and giving A a spot throw-in is penalizing them at least twice. You killed their surprise play (or at least, unorthodox), you didn't give 2 FTs that they deserved, and then you force them into a spot throw-in. No thanks.
Old Tue May 31, 2005, 01:42am
Official Forum Member

Quote:

Just thought I'd throw this out there...
I would and I have...with a look of "I hate to do this but...." Not a word from the coach either. It was obvious.
Old Tue May 31, 2005, 03:34am
Official Forum Member

Sorry, let me rephrase my question. I'm not looking for those glaring ones...moreso the ones where the ball is on the imaginary plane OOB, but being passed to A2.

I agree that if B1 lunges into the OOB area to deflect the pass that I'm going to call a T. That's an easy one.
Old Tue May 31, 2005, 04:09am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally posted by mplagrow
Quote:
Originally posted by Nevadaref
So the difference being, NFHS can go for the ball upon the release, but NCAA it must break the plane? Splitting hairs, isn't it?
Yep, it is a fine line, but Nevada received a T for it two years ago while playing Georgia Tech in the Sweet Sixteen of the NCAA tournament. That is the only reason that I noticed this slight difference in the rules.