The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Basketball
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Mon Mar 26, 2001, 08:51pm
Official Forum Member

Smile

I think double tweets are useful when need to get the attention of the players, I think that it should be used with the same discretion as selling a call! Over use defeats the purpose!

AK ref SE
Old Tue Mar 27, 2001, 09:01am
Official Forum Member

Am I wrong to do this?

Quote:
Originally posted by dhodges007
I was told that you are only supposed to blow your whistle once for any reason. I have been watching the D1, and I notice they are constantly blowing 2, 3, or even 4 times. Was I told incorrectly? Is there a time when you would blow it only once or blow more than once???

Thanks for your help...

--Denny
I usually blow the whistle once for all fouls and obvious violations but blow the whistle several times for violations where a player is moving with the ball (carry, travel, etc)

Is this wrong? I've never had anyone complain about it.
Old Tue Mar 27, 2001, 09:20am
In Memoriam

Re: Am I wrong to do this?

Quote:
Originally posted by mikesears

I usually blow the whistle once for all fouls and obvious violations but blow the whistle several times for violations where a player is moving with the ball (carry, travel, etc)

Is this wrong? I've never had anyone complain about it. [/B]
Mike,
I only blow once. I don't feel much need to sell calls unless I think I may have kicked it slightly.
I like to call fouls and violations matter-of-factly, as part of the game, not as surprises.
But if multiple whistles is good for you, keep doing it.
mick
Old Wed Mar 28, 2001, 10:00am
Official Forum Member

Send a message via AIM to dhodges007 Send a message via Yahoo to dhodges007
Yet another question

I worked three games last night and felt that I had to blow double whistles a lot for violations. I could hardly here my own whistle, my question then is... is this a bad mechanic if someone were out watching me? Or would they say that the noise factor would be taken into consideration?

My two sense!
Old Wed Mar 28, 2001, 10:06am
In Memoriam

Lightbulb Re: Yet another question

Quote:
Originally posted by dhodges007
I worked three games last night and felt that I had to blow double whistles a lot for violations. I could hardly here my own whistle, my question then is... is this a bad mechanic if someone were out watching me? Or would they say that the noise factor would be taken into consideration?
Denny,
If you are worried about multiple-tweeting to stop a play (and I, personally, would not worry about it), what you can try to do is close down on the play more quickly as you are blowing that Fox. That'll get the players attention.
You are using a Fox, aren't you?
mick
Old Wed Mar 28, 2001, 01:22pm
Official Forum Member

Question whistle

Estimates please. How many times, in an average B.B game, does an official blow the whistle?

Question: Would you use a electronic whistle? If it fit well on your hand and wrist and was not cumbersome.
A speaker disposed on the backhand side of the unit, and a momentary switch on the lower palm area on the front of the unit. To "blow whistle" you would simply close hand and press switch with fingertips.

This would free hands and mouth. Be much cleaner and sanitary. No lanyard around neck and no fumbling around to sound whistle. Would not have to rely on the breath of winded official.

Would you use one? TIA
Old Wed Mar 28, 2001, 01:45pm
Official Forum Member

Send a message via AIM to dhodges007 Send a message via Yahoo to dhodges007
Re: whistle

Quote:
Originally posted by Steven
Estimates please. How many times, in an average B.B game, does an official blow the whistle?

Question: Would you use a electronic whistle? If it fit well on your hand and wrist and was not cumbersome.
A speaker disposed on the backhand side of the unit, and a momentary switch on the lower palm area on the front of the unit. To "blow whistle" you would simply close hand and press switch with fingertips.

This would free hands and mouth. Be much cleaner and sanitary. No lanyard around neck and no fumbling around to sound whistle. Would not have to rely on the breath of winded official.

Would you use one? TIA
There really is no way to tell how many times I blow a whistle per game. It depends on the violations, fouls, timouts, and any other reason that I have to blow the play dead (like last night I had a kid go screaming across the gym floor).

As far as an electronic whistle, I would be hesitant to use anything electronic with everything that can go wrong.

My two sense!