The Official Forum

The Official Forum (https://forum.officiating.com/)
-   Basketball (https://forum.officiating.com/basketball/)
-   -   toot your horn (https://forum.officiating.com/basketball/2035-toot-your-horn.html)

dhodges007 Sun Mar 25, 2001 05:40pm

I was told that you are only supposed to blow your whistle once for any reason. I have been watching the D1, and I notice they are constantly blowing 2, 3, or even 4 times. Was I told incorrectly? Is there a time when you would blow it only once or blow more than once???

Thanks for your help...

--Denny

JRutledge Sun Mar 25, 2001 05:46pm

Understand this.......

Over the years things have changed. Officials used to do things that today are not accepted. Unfortunetly many of the older officials are allowed to do things that younger officials could never do. The bottom line is that officials at that level are good officials for the most part. And getting them to do things that they have never done is very difficult. I guess the question should be, should we allow them to do things they always have done, or do we only allow officials that cannot change to still officiate? I have an opinion, but I know that I will get shot down for it.

Quote:

Originally posted by dhodges007
I was told that you are only supposed to blow your whistle once for any reason. I have been watching the D1, and I notice they are constantly blowing 2, 3, or even 4 times. Was I told incorrectly? Is there a time when you would blow it only once or blow more than once???

Thanks for your help...

--Denny

dhodges007 Sun Mar 25, 2001 05:51pm

I understand that, but...that didn't answer my question.

BigJoe Sun Mar 25, 2001 08:06pm

I just attended our state basketball tournament. I have been a registered official doing high school contests for the past six years. What I notice about the older officials is the type of signals they make. Rarely do they adhere to the signals for fouls shown in the manual. Also, why is it that the older officials call so little traveling and three second violations? Also, they allow the game to be much more physical than I do. They don't get alot of flack from the coaches, either. I haven't noticed the multiple whistles, though. Keep up the good stuff on the site.

JRutledge Sun Mar 25, 2001 08:34pm

I did answer.

Quote:

I understand that, but...that didn't answer my question.
There is no reason other than the guidelines have been changed from when many of these officials started officiating. We are talking about guys that have been officiating for 20 or more years in many cases. You see mechanics that are not taught to newer officials because they expect different things today.

Look on ESPN Classic and watch one of those old games and watch the mechanics. You will have your answer there. I really do not know how else to answer your question other than that.

mick Sun Mar 25, 2001 08:47pm

It could be.

Quote:

Thanks for your help...

--Denny

Denny,
The older officials are allowed the tweet, tweet, tweet, because they do not have enough air to fill the Fox with only on breath.
mick

dhodges007 Sun Mar 25, 2001 08:55pm

You still missed my question

"Was I told incorrectly? Is there a time when you would blow it only once or blow more than once???" Those are my questions. Is it incorrect for a new official to blow the whistle more than once? If so, is there any time where you would?

--Denny

mick Sun Mar 25, 2001 09:23pm

Re: You still missed my question

Quote:

"Was I told incorrectly? Is there a time when you would blow it only once or blow more than once???" Those are my questions. Is it incorrect for a new official to blow the whistle more than once? If so, is there any time where you would?

--Denny

Denny,

I was told to use only a single blow.

But, sometimes, the excitement of the game, and the noise of the crowd, and the fact that the players may not have stopped, all combine for the reflex of making multiple tweets as an exclamation point, or more.

mick

dhodges007 Sun Mar 25, 2001 09:26pm

Thanks, I have been told so many things by quote un-quote 'vets' that have turned out to be wrong. This board has helped a great deal...

--Denny

BigDave Sun Mar 25, 2001 11:52pm

Denny,

Give me a call so we can get together this week.

Brian Watson Mon Mar 26, 2001 08:56am

The only time I can see using multiple whistles is when you have a two players wrestling for a ball after the whistle, two plyers getting in each others face, or a fight.

jweiler Mon Mar 26, 2001 09:06am

Multiple whistles

I try to give a single blow for fouls. Sometimes I come out with mutiple whistles because I don't take a breath first and don't have enough air for a good strong blow. I also tend to do mutiple tweets for something unusual. Most often, when you blow the whistle for a foul, the players and coaches and crowd are expecting it. When you blow for a travel, carry, foot out of bounds - it's not expected and the multiple tweets help attract attention, especially in a loud gym.

gymrat Mon Mar 26, 2001 05:08pm

The CCA mechanics book does address blowing the whistle more than one time. I don't have my book with me, but I believe it states to blow the whistle more than once when something out of the ordinary happens. In my opinion, this doesn't totally expain the situations in which the multiple whistle is used. It is often used in traveling calls when a player is moving rapidly toward the basket. The official simply wants to emphasize that the play is dead to prevent further action from occurring. The most common situation is when players are physically tied up in a held ball or in a fouling situation. The official is then trying to prevent the player's actions from intensifying.

dhodges007 Mon Mar 26, 2001 05:22pm

Do you know where I could get a copy of that book, or if I can find it online?

mick Mon Mar 26, 2001 05:32pm

Quote:

Do you know where I could get a copy of that book, or if I can find it online?

http://www.honigs.com/catalog/basketball/page5.html