The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Basketball

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Wed Apr 27, 2005, 07:09pm
Official Forum Member

I'm hitting some college camps this summer and was just curious about this. I am not looking to officiate the ACC or SEC, but a realistic goal of mine is to some day be able to officiate basketball at the collegiate level (DII or DIII even). If I dare to dream higher, I would love to work the Big Sky, Big West, or Mountain West conference one day (men or women's)

How much harder am I going to have to work to beat out you 6-footers for this chance ... or is height not very relevant? Thanks,
Old Wed Apr 27, 2005, 07:25pm
Official Forum Member

I don't see in my experience that it hurts your chances (assuming you're not 4'8"). I know several officials that are between 5'5" and 5'8" that work college. If you're good enough (or even not in some cases) you can work most any level. Some may say otherwise and may be equally correct based in their experience and knowledge of certain associations.

Don't let it stop you.
Old Wed Apr 27, 2005, 07:52pm
Official Forum Member

You can actually use it to your advantage. It'll just give the coaches more reason to pick on you, and more reason for you to throw them out. (I worked with a partner once who always wore glasses while officiating just so the coaches had something to make fun of him with. He wore contacts everywhere else. )

Of of the greatest referees I've ever heard talk about the philosophy of refereeing and basketball was probably 5'6" at the most. Don't let it get to you. Enjoy it.
Old Wed Apr 27, 2005, 08:03pm
Official Forum Member

I appreciate the feedback and inspirational support!!! I was of the belief that if I was equal to another guy and he was 6'0 vs. my 5'6, then they'd take him. Thank you all for lifting me "up!"

Now I just got to DO IT! Thanks again,
Old Wed Apr 27, 2005, 08:13pm
Do not give a damn!!

It can.

Not to say that it is the only factor, but it is a factor. Of course there are exceptions, but many of college assignors are looking for "look the part" type officials. Tall, African-American, athletic look type are preferred by many assignors. It does not mean that individuals that do not fit that description. I can just tell you if you are taller you will have more chances of being hired if you are shorter. That is of course with all things being equal. If you can work, you can work. Unfortunately officiating basketball is not much different than the NFL Draft. You vitals matter almost as much as if you can play or officiate in this case.

Peace
Old Wed Apr 27, 2005, 10:27pm
Official Forum Member

Well. . .

I don't know if it will hurt your chances, but it's embarrassing trying to jump up and reach a stuck ball!
Old Wed Apr 27, 2005, 11:09pm
Official Forum Member

Send a message via AIM to rainmaker
Where's Chuck when you need him?

Seriously, Chuck Elias who usually posts here quite a bit when he's not basking in the tropical sun, is not exactly tall (although in real life he's taller than that silly squirrel which some find so offensive!). There are several men who work in women's college ball who are fairly "altitude challenged". It may be a point against you in some places but it's only one consideration. At least, that's what I observe. I have a personal friend who works in the Pac-10 and he's only about 5'7", I think. So I don't think it's a big deal.
Old Wed Apr 27, 2005, 11:13pm
Official Forum Member

Send a message via AIM to rainmaker
And now that I think about it, there's rockyroad, too.

The other issue is width. I'm 6' but, uh, shall we say a little wider than some think healthy? So my height isn't enough to overcome that item. If you're shorter, but narrower, you'll get games before I will, all other things being equal.
Old Thu Apr 28, 2005, 10:55am
Official Forum Member

Question Re: It can.

Quote:
Originally posted by JRutledge
Not to say that it is the only factor, but it is a factor. Of course there are exceptions, but many of college assignors are looking for "look the part" type officials. Tall, African-American, athletic look type are preferred by many assignors. ...
Peace
I am sorry, JRut, but I must take exception here. I am not sure if you have it right about the "look." I mean what does a person's ethnicity have to do with the "look". Are you implying that all things being equal a person would get the nod over another simply because he/she is of African American decent. That would be a first for me, as an African American, I have never experienced a situation where it was an advantage in the way of job opportunities. It may be true, of some leagues, if so I would like to know so I can retire there. In fact, I have seen the opposite to be true. I am in the military and as a result I have had an oppoertunity to travel to a number of differnt cities in Kansas, Nebraska, and now in El Paso, TX...I can tell you that I never once got hired, because I had the "look"...probably because I did not "look' like most of the population, and despite that I was able to get assignments. I am not sure of the exact percentage of qualified African American officials who attend these camps, but I am sure they are being hired for more than just the "look"...
Old Thu Apr 28, 2005, 10:59am
Esteemed Participant

Quote:
Originally posted by rainmaker
And now that I think about it, there's rockyroad, too.
Dang - I was hoping to slide under the radar here (pun intended)...in all reality, your height will probably have an impact on your getting hired...you will have to work harder, be sharper, and run more athletically than your 6' or better competition at the camps...but so what? Go out there and out-hustle and out-ref all the others at the camp and you'll get hired! I'm not very tall, but I've never heard anyone tell me that I ref small...
Old Thu Apr 28, 2005, 11:37am
Do not give a damn!!

Re: Re: It can.

Quote:
Originally posted by agmattbballref

I am sorry, JRut, but I must take exception here. I am not sure if you have it right about the "look." I mean what does a person's ethnicity have to do with the "look". Are you implying that all things being equal a person would get the nod over another simply because he/she is of African American decent. That would be a first for me, as an African American, I have never experienced a situation where it was an advantage in the way of job opportunities.
You can take exception all you like. The reality is that in Men's and Women's basketball, there is a push to find African-Americans and Women to officiate at the highest of levels in college basketball. In the Women's game, if you are a women you will get a chance that men will not get. Whether any of us like it or not, well over 50% of many D1 and lower level college players is African-American. There is an effort to find officials that reflect what is on the court. This is the reason many women get opportunities at the Women's game that men in general do not. It does not mean that there are people that do not fit the "profile." It just means that in an ideal world and in their recruiting process, they are looking for a certain kind of official. Whether they find applicants that are available is another issue. Just look at the NBA. There was a time when I could only name one African-American NBA Official. It now seems like almost half or at least 40% of the officials are African-American.

Quote:
Originally posted by agmattbballref
It may be true, of some leagues, if so I would like to know so I can retire there. In fact, I have seen the opposite to be true. I am in the military and as a result I have had an oppoertunity to travel to a number of differnt cities in Kansas, Nebraska, and now in El Paso, TX...I can tell you that I never once got hired, because I had the "look"...probably because I did not "look' like most of the population, and despite that I was able to get assignments. I am not sure of the exact percentage of qualified African American officials who attend these camps, but I am sure they are being hired for more than just the "look"...
I cannot and will not speak for your situation. I have no idea how good of an official you are or what you look like. I also never said this was the only factor for getting hired. I know if you want to work as a D1 official, where you live and what you job is can be just as important. I know that if you live in a big city is a huge plus to getting hired. They higher ups want officials that can without much effort get on a plane and fly anywhere. I know a few Big Ten officials (in football and basketball) and they can leave without much hassle. All of them live relatively close to airport and can fly out easily. Most also have jobs that allow opportunity to get away. Usually most of these officials are in sales, education or management, where they either have more control over their hours or they can leave at earlier times and not conflict with their jobs to officiate. If you are in the military I am not sure you have the flexibility to just leave when you want to. I know many officials that are in the military and they have problems working local HS games. I have no idea if you have that flexibility that they are looking for.

If you are short, white, male (in the women's game) and do not have the right job you still have a chance. You just better be head and shoulders above those that "fit the profile" if you want to work the highest of levels in basketball. I watch the newer NBA officials and they are in better shape than many of the NBA players and have more muscles poking out their shirts than many boxers and wrestlers. I am also not talking about the officials that have been around for 20 and 30 years. Those officials have already proven they can officiate. The newly hired officials are the ones that are looking more an more like the profile I was describing.

Peace
Old Thu Apr 28, 2005, 11:49am
Official Forum Member

I agree with Rut. At the first classroom meeting of the first camp (Women's side) I went to, the clinician (Doug Cloud) stated we are looking for officials in this order: 1. African-American females 2. White females 3. African-American males and 4. White males.

At other camps they have also stressed "the look" and living close to a major airport.

Can you still get some college games? Sure, I got picked up in JUCO, DIII, and DII and I'm a 5'6" white male.
Old Thu Apr 28, 2005, 11:53am
Official Forum Member

JRut has pretty much said what I was going to say, except he types faster. Many assignors and clinicians at camps have told me the same things. The assignors have said repeatedly they have been told by their bosses (conference presidents, etc.) that they would like to see a mix of officials that more accurately reflect the players in that league. In men's b-ball, that means more African-American males. On the women's side, that means more women. Their reasoning is that, all other things being equal, they will give these individuals the first shot. So, as a short, white male, you need to prove yourself a little more to get that same first shot. Affirmative action would probably be the closest way to describe it. Is it fair? We could argue that all day and not come up with a solution, but it is the reality. Now, maybe that individual doesn't pan out to be a good official in the long run, and won't stay on staff as a result, but they will get that first shot.

(Used with permission.)
Old Thu Apr 28, 2005, 12:19pm
Do not give a damn!!

I have been told I have the "look" that is wanted at many levels. That does not mean I will walk into a D1 camp and just get hired. You also have to have the right people pulling for you. You also have to have to be in the right place at the right time. Sometimes that means you have to live in an area that does not have a lot of officials on staff. Many things have to go your way, not just one attribute. This is not about affirmative action or race-based hiring. You still have to be able to do the job and officials are fired every year for making mistakes. It is one thing to get there. It is another to stay there. I am sure the needs and wants of the SWAC and MEAC leagues are different than the ACC and SEC. There are a lot of factors that go into getting hired, race and gender is just one of them.

Peace
Old Thu Apr 28, 2005, 12:29pm
Official Forum Member

What if you're a tall caucasian male who tans well, runs athletically and is married to a woman who works with a black female that lives near a major airport?