View Single Post
Old Thu Apr 28, 2005, 10:55am
Official Forum Member

Question Re: It can.

Quote:
Originally posted by JRutledge
Not to say that it is the only factor, but it is a factor. Of course there are exceptions, but many of college assignors are looking for "look the part" type officials. Tall, African-American, athletic look type are preferred by many assignors. ...
Peace
I am sorry, JRut, but I must take exception here. I am not sure if you have it right about the "look." I mean what does a person's ethnicity have to do with the "look". Are you implying that all things being equal a person would get the nod over another simply because he/she is of African American decent. That would be a first for me, as an African American, I have never experienced a situation where it was an advantage in the way of job opportunities. It may be true, of some leagues, if so I would like to know so I can retire there. In fact, I have seen the opposite to be true. I am in the military and as a result I have had an oppoertunity to travel to a number of differnt cities in Kansas, Nebraska, and now in El Paso, TX...I can tell you that I never once got hired, because I had the "look"...probably because I did not "look' like most of the population, and despite that I was able to get assignments. I am not sure of the exact percentage of qualified African American officials who attend these camps, but I am sure they are being hired for more than just the "look"...