View Single Post
Old Thu Apr 28, 2005, 11:37am
Do not give a damn!!

Re: Re: It can.

Quote:
Originally posted by agmattbballref

I am sorry, JRut, but I must take exception here. I am not sure if you have it right about the "look." I mean what does a person's ethnicity have to do with the "look". Are you implying that all things being equal a person would get the nod over another simply because he/she is of African American decent. That would be a first for me, as an African American, I have never experienced a situation where it was an advantage in the way of job opportunities.
You can take exception all you like. The reality is that in Men's and Women's basketball, there is a push to find African-Americans and Women to officiate at the highest of levels in college basketball. In the Women's game, if you are a women you will get a chance that men will not get. Whether any of us like it or not, well over 50% of many D1 and lower level college players is African-American. There is an effort to find officials that reflect what is on the court. This is the reason many women get opportunities at the Women's game that men in general do not. It does not mean that there are people that do not fit the "profile." It just means that in an ideal world and in their recruiting process, they are looking for a certain kind of official. Whether they find applicants that are available is another issue. Just look at the NBA. There was a time when I could only name one African-American NBA Official. It now seems like almost half or at least 40% of the officials are African-American.

Quote:
Originally posted by agmattbballref
It may be true, of some leagues, if so I would like to know so I can retire there. In fact, I have seen the opposite to be true. I am in the military and as a result I have had an oppoertunity to travel to a number of differnt cities in Kansas, Nebraska, and now in El Paso, TX...I can tell you that I never once got hired, because I had the "look"...probably because I did not "look' like most of the population, and despite that I was able to get assignments. I am not sure of the exact percentage of qualified African American officials who attend these camps, but I am sure they are being hired for more than just the "look"...
I cannot and will not speak for your situation. I have no idea how good of an official you are or what you look like. I also never said this was the only factor for getting hired. I know if you want to work as a D1 official, where you live and what you job is can be just as important. I know that if you live in a big city is a huge plus to getting hired. They higher ups want officials that can without much effort get on a plane and fly anywhere. I know a few Big Ten officials (in football and basketball) and they can leave without much hassle. All of them live relatively close to airport and can fly out easily. Most also have jobs that allow opportunity to get away. Usually most of these officials are in sales, education or management, where they either have more control over their hours or they can leave at earlier times and not conflict with their jobs to officiate. If you are in the military I am not sure you have the flexibility to just leave when you want to. I know many officials that are in the military and they have problems working local HS games. I have no idea if you have that flexibility that they are looking for.

If you are short, white, male (in the women's game) and do not have the right job you still have a chance. You just better be head and shoulders above those that "fit the profile" if you want to work the highest of levels in basketball. I watch the newer NBA officials and they are in better shape than many of the NBA players and have more muscles poking out their shirts than many boxers and wrestlers. I am also not talking about the officials that have been around for 20 and 30 years. Those officials have already proven they can officiate. The newly hired officials are the ones that are looking more an more like the profile I was describing.

Peace