The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Basketball
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Thu Apr 14, 2005, 10:31am
Official Forum Member

no, but he was also fouled in the act of shooting and the defense doesn't get off for that. A1 was fouled while shooting, he gets free throws. No basket on the PC, so he gets 2. This one actually makes sense to me. Peace.
Old Thu Apr 14, 2005, 11:49am
Esteemed Participant

Quote:
Originally posted by ChuckElias
Quote:
Originally posted by bob jenkins
Yes. The last foul was the PC. The penalty is the ball OOB. And, it also might follow a basket. So, B gets to run the end-line.
Can a basket be scored on a play where a PC is committed?
NF and NCAAW - no... but can't you have a PC and score the basket in NCAAM???
Old Thu Apr 14, 2005, 12:10pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally posted by rockyroad
Quote:
Quote:
Yes. The last foul was the PC. The penalty is the ball OOB. And, it also might follow a basket. So, B gets to run the end-line.
No. It's not a PC foul in NCAAM if the ball is released before the foul by the airborne shooter.
Old Thu Apr 14, 2005, 12:34pm
Official Forum Member

Send a message via AIM to Dan_ref
Quote:
Quote:
Originally posted by rockyroad
Quote:
Quote:
No. It's not a PC foul in NCAAM if the ball is released before the foul by the airborne shooter.
The airborne shooter has already released the ball, by definition.

Old Thu Apr 14, 2005, 01:45pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Quote:
Originally posted by Mark T. DeNucci, Sr.
Quote:
Quote:
Originally posted by zanzibar
This is a case book situation(4.19.6A). A1 airborne shooter is fouled and then he commits a pc foul before he lands. The ruling does say that A1 shoots 2 shots. Do the players occupy the lane spaces or do you clear the lane for A1's ft's then award B the ball for an oob throw in?
The latter. If A1's last throw is good, B can run the baseline. If not, it's a spot throw-in. (The last two sentences assume that the baseline is the spot nearest A1's foul.)

Bob:

Isn't this situation a false double foul meaning that the fouls are penalized in the order that they occured with the penalty for the last foul be administered as if this were the only foul committed?

MTD, Sr.
Yes. The last foul was the PC. The penalty is the ball OOB. And, it also might follow a basket. So, B gets to run the end-line. There's a specific case on this, iirc.

Ok so Bob just so I think I understand everything here, and correct me if I'm wrong. A1 goes up for a layup, gets hacked from behind by B1, and then PCs into B2. We have a false double foul, A1 gets 2 shots, and Team B gets ball OOB, with either baseline running or not depending on the result of the second foul shot. In addition, both A1 and B1 get personals, and Team A and Team B each get a Team Foul.

Let me further change the sitch for a second. A1 is driving but is fouled before the shot by B1 (no bonus), takes one step, and then PCs into B2. The way I see it there are 3 possible solutions here, and I have no clue which one is correct so help...

1) Team A gets ball OOB b/c of foul on B1.
2) Team B gets ball OOB b/c of PC on A1.
3) AP--go w/ the arrow.
Old Thu Apr 14, 2005, 01:54pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally posted by tmp44

Ok so Bob just so I think I understand everything here, and correct me if I'm wrong. A1 goes up for a layup, gets hacked from behind by B1, and then PCs into B2. We have a false double foul, A1 gets 2 shots, and Team B gets ball OOB, with either baseline running or not depending on the result of the second foul shot. In addition, both A1 and B1 get personals, and Team A and Team B each get a Team Foul.
correct

Quote:
Let me further change the sitch for a second. A1 is driving but is fouled before the shot by B1 (no bonus), takes one step, and then PCs into B2. The way I see it there are 3 possible solutions here, and I have no clue which one is correct so help...

3) AP--go w/ the arrow.
In this situation, the ball became dead on B1's foul. A1's foul is ignored unless it's intentional or flagrant (and, since you "called" it a PC, it can't be either of those). Go with option 1, and no foul on A1.

Old Thu Apr 14, 2005, 01:57pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:

3) AP--go w/ the arrow. [/B]
The answer is 1). When B1 fouls A1 BEFORE the shot (that is the key) the ball becomes dead. The PC on A1 is ignored unless the foul is judged to be flagrant or intentional. Team A gets a spot throw-in nearest the foul.

If the PC was judged to be flagrant then B gets a team foul, A gets a team foul, if it was flagrant A1 is disqualified, either way B2 gets two free throws with the lane cleared and team B gets a spot throw-in nearest the foul.