The Official Forum

The Official Forum (https://forum.officiating.com/)
-   Basketball (https://forum.officiating.com/basketball/)
-   -   player control foul (https://forum.officiating.com/basketball/19674-player-control-foul.html)

zanzibar Tue Apr 12, 2005 01:42pm

This is a case book situation(4.19.6A). A1 airborne shooter is fouled and then he commits a pc foul before he lands. The ruling does say that A1 shoots 2 shots. Do the players occupy the lane spaces or do you clear the lane for A1's ft's then award B the ball for an oob throw in?

bob jenkins Tue Apr 12, 2005 01:46pm

Quote:

Originally posted by zanzibar
This is a case book situation(4.19.6A). A1 airborne shooter is fouled and then he commits a pc foul before he lands. The ruling does say that A1 shoots 2 shots. Do the players occupy the lane spaces or do you clear the lane for A1's ft's then award B the ball for an oob throw in?
The latter. If A1's last throw is good, B can run the baseline. If not, it's a spot throw-in. (The last two sentences assume that the baseline is the spot nearest A1's foul.)

Redhouse Tue Apr 12, 2005 03:09pm

Has anyone ever called a foul on B2 for hitting the shooter while airborne then right after called a PC foul on A1 for running into B1. I have not ever had that occur, I was just curious if this is very common.

JugglingReferee Tue Apr 12, 2005 03:12pm

Quote:

Originally posted by Redhouse
Has anyone ever called a foul on B2 for hitting the shooter while airborne then right after called a PC foul on A1 for running into B1. I have not ever had that occur, I was just curious if this is very common.
Last year.

A1 gets whacked on the arm going up, which had no impact on horizontal movement.

A1 then ploughs into B1 who had roots.

No argument from anyone.

Redhouse Tue Apr 12, 2005 04:00pm

did you make both of the calls or did one of your partners pick up the other one

JLMatthew Tue Apr 12, 2005 04:22pm

I've never called it, but when I picture the scenario in my head it seems most likely to occur with the calls split up. T calls a hack on B1 on the drive to the hoop starting from his primary while the L has B2 taking the charge in the paint because he was following the defender. It could be different, but that seems most likely. Peace.

walter Tue Apr 12, 2005 04:36pm

I had it in a state playoff game. I (C) called the foul on B1 and then A1 PC into B2 called by the lead. Ball went in. Waived it off, A1 two free throws (made both), B ball with ability to run the endline. Had to explain it but neither coach had a problem. Could maybe argue that L should not have called across the lane but oh well, it was PC.

JugglingReferee Tue Apr 12, 2005 07:00pm

Quote:

did you make both of the calls or did one of your partners pick up the other one
I made both.

Mark Dexter Wed Apr 13, 2005 06:50pm

Quote:

Originally posted by JugglingReferee
Quote:

I made both.

Did you double fist? :p

JugglingReferee Wed Apr 13, 2005 07:23pm

Quote:

Originally posted by Mark Dexter
Quote:

Originally posted by JugglingReferee
Quote:

I made both.

Did you double fist? :p

Naturally. :D

PACMAN8604 Wed Apr 13, 2005 08:47pm

I took the test today.

Well, my teacher was studpid and gave us the wrong question. He meant, who was the frist coach. And the answer to that question is Phog Allen.

rainmaker Wed Apr 13, 2005 11:06pm

Re: I took the test today.

Quote:

Originally posted by PACMAN8604
Well, my teacher was studpid and gave us the wrong question. He meant, who was the frist coach. And the answer to that question is Phog Allen.
Phog? PHOG!?!? And I thought Padgett was kidding when he said the first bball player was Og!

Mark T. DeNucci, Sr. Wed Apr 13, 2005 11:25pm

Quote:

Originally posted by bob jenkins
Quote:

The latter. If A1's last throw is good, B can run the baseline. If not, it's a spot throw-in. (The last two sentences assume that the baseline is the spot nearest A1's foul.)

Bob:

Isn't this situation a false double foul meaning that the fouls are penalized in the order that they occured with the penalty for the last foul be administered as if this were the only foul committed?

MTD, Sr.

bob jenkins Thu Apr 14, 2005 07:12am

Quote:

Originally posted by Mark T. DeNucci, Sr.
Quote:

Quote:

Bob:

Isn't this situation a false double foul meaning that the fouls are penalized in the order that they occured with the penalty for the last foul be administered as if this were the only foul committed?

MTD, Sr.

Yes. The last foul was the PC. The penalty is the ball OOB. And, it also might follow a basket. So, B gets to run the end-line. There's a specific case on this, iirc.

ChuckElias Thu Apr 14, 2005 07:27am

Quote:

Yes. The last foul was the PC. The penalty is the ball OOB. And, it also might follow a basket. So, B gets to run the end-line.
Can a basket be scored on a play where a PC is committed?