The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Basketball
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Wed Apr 06, 2005, 04:19pm
Official Forum Member

I don't think the officials saw the contact. Many times, when a player is hit in the eye, you don't realize it until you see the player grab his face. I'm not calling a foul based on a player grabbing his face.

Old Wed Apr 06, 2005, 04:26pm
In Memoriam

Lightbulb

Quote:
Originally posted by BktBallRef
Cool graphic.

I'm wondering if the face was moving toward the defender.
mick
Old Wed Apr 06, 2005, 06:09pm
Official Forum Member

Talking

Quote:
Originally posted by mick
Quote:
Cool graphic.

I'm wondering if the face was moving toward the defender.
mick
The Heels average 83 points against the Big Ten.

Evidently, there was no defender.
Old Wed Apr 06, 2005, 06:12pm
Official Forum Member

mick, check out http://tarheelblue.collegesports.com/.

Pretty cool website stuff going on.
Old Wed Apr 06, 2005, 07:11pm
In Memoriam

Quote:

Shoot! They're just doing what they do!
That's the Research Triangle for cryin' out loud!
I'm glad they're pumped they oughta be.

By the way, did Roy cry, and is he, in fact, on a first tee?

mick
Old Wed Apr 06, 2005, 08:03pm
Official Forum Member

I must ask,

1. What is a Tar Heel?
(A heel of a person who stepped in tar?)

2. What is an Illini?
(Is this just a person from Illinois?)
Old Wed Apr 06, 2005, 08:14pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally posted by mick
Quote:

Shoot! They're just doing what they do!
That's the Research Triangle for cryin' out loud!
I'm glad they're pumped they oughta be.

By the way, did Roy cry, and is he, in fact, on a first tee?

mick
Maybe with his family after the game. He got kind of teary eyed, talking about his high school coach. He and Coach Smith had a huge affect on Roy's life, as his parents were divorced when he was small. When KU lost to UNC in the semis in '93, Roy sat with his HS coach while watching Carolina beat Michigan in the finals. His coach said, "Someday, I'll be sitting here, watching you win one of these." And of course his coach was there Monday night.

And no, no golf. He was in the air at 8am this morning, on the recruiting trail. A co-worker of mine's husband is a pilot and flies him around quite a bit. He was in Syracuse and St. Louis. In fact, he picked him up in Kansas and brought him to Chapel Hill, the day he came home two years ago.
Old Wed Apr 06, 2005, 08:24pm
Official Forum Member

Smile Here's more than you wanted to know!

Quote:
Originally posted by brainbrian
I must ask,

1. What is a Tar Heel?
In 1629, King Charles I of England "erected into a province," all the land from Albemarle Sound on the north to the St. John's River on the south, which he directed should be called Carolina. The word Carolina is from the word Carolus, the Latin form of Charles.

When Carolina was divided in 1710, the southern part was called South Carolina and the northern, or older settlement, North Carolina. From this came the nickname the "Old North State." Historians have recorded that the principal products during the early history of North Carolina were "tar, pitch, and turpentine." It was during one of the fiercest battles of the War Between the States, so the story goes, that the column supporting the North Carolina troops was driven from the field. After the battle the North Carolinians, who had successfully fought it out alone, were greeted from the passing derelict regiment with the question: "Any more tar down in the Old North State, boys?" Quick as a flash came the answer: "No, not a bit, old Jeff's bought it all up." "Is that so; what is he going to do with it?" was asked. "He's going to put on you-un's heels to make you stick better in the next fight." Creecy relates that General Lee, upon hearing of the incident, said: "God bless the Tar Heel boys," and from that they took the name

Quote:
2. What is an Illini?
The Illini are Indian tribes who first arrived in what is now known as Illinois in the 1500's. The state took it's name from the tribe.
Old Wed Apr 06, 2005, 09:08pm
In Memoriam

Thumbs up Re: Here's more than you wanted to know!

Quote:
Quote:
Originally posted by brainbrian
I must ask,

1. What is a Tar Heel?
In 1629, King Charles I of England "erected into a province," all the land from Albemarle Sound on the north to the St. John's River on the south, which he directed should be called Carolina. The word Carolina is from the word Carolus, the Latin form of Charles.

When Carolina was divided in 1710, the southern part was called South Carolina and the northern, or older settlement, North Carolina. From this came the nickname the "Old North State." Historians have recorded that the principal products during the early history of North Carolina were "tar, pitch, and turpentine." It was during one of the fiercest battles of the War Between the States, so the story goes, that the column supporting the North Carolina troops was driven from the field. After the battle the North Carolinians, who had successfully fought it out alone, were greeted from the passing derelict regiment with the question: "Any more tar down in the Old North State, boys?" Quick as a flash came the answer: "No, not a bit, old Jeff's bought it all up." "Is that so; what is he going to do with it?" was asked. "He's going to put on you-un's heels to make you stick better in the next fight." Creecy relates that General Lee, upon hearing of the incident, said: "God bless the Tar Heel boys," and from that they took the name

Quote:
2. What is an Illini?
The Illini are Indian tribes who first arrived in what is now known as Illinois in the 1500's. The state took it's name from the tribe.
Good stuff, Tony!
Thanks!