The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Basketball

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Tue Apr 05, 2005, 08:25pm
Official Forum Member

Question

...Into your partner's area when they aren't calling anything??

I had some games recently where my partner, also a younger official just didn't seem to be making any calls. The girls were getting rough, and it looked like someone was going to get hurt, so I had to step up my officiating and work on the ball the remainder of the game.

Usually, if my partner misses something, I'll let it go, but this time I just couldn't.

What do you guys do in situations like this??
Old Tue Apr 05, 2005, 08:28pm
PAOfficial

If its a rookie who may be nervous, I'll fish for the "betterment" of the game. But if its a vet who knows what's going on, I trust him to call his area and pass on what he feels is passable. If I know I had an angle on a call that he couldn't see, I may come into their area, but other than that, I usually let it go.
Old Tue Apr 05, 2005, 08:29pm
Official Forum Member

Send a message via AIM to Dan_ref
Quote:
Originally posted by ref18

I had some games recently where my partner, also a younger official just didn't seem to be making any calls. The girls were getting rough, and it looked like someone was going to get hurt, so I had to step up my officiating and work on the ball the remainder of the game.

Usually, if my partner misses something, I'll let it go, but this time I just couldn't.

A great official once said to me:

"I'll trust you until you show me I can't. Then I'm taking over."
Old Tue Apr 05, 2005, 08:36pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:

I did once. But then some lady chased me to the locker room, wanting to know my name!
Old Tue Apr 05, 2005, 08:41pm
Do not give a damn!!

I will help you when I can. I am not going to make all the calls. At some point my partner is going to have to make calls for themselves. If they do not do the job, they will not be around the next time. It is not my job to officiate for my partner. We are a team, but I cannot do his job for him.

Peace
Old Tue Apr 05, 2005, 08:43pm
Official Forum Member

Send a message via AIM to Dan_ref
Quote:
Originally posted by BktBallRef
Quote:

I did once. But then some lady chased me to the locker room, wanting to know my name!
And you told her your name is Tubby Smith?
Old Tue Apr 05, 2005, 08:56pm
Official Forum Member

I try to stay out of my partners area, but I will come in they have a bad angle, or it is just plain obvious.
Old Tue Apr 05, 2005, 08:59pm
Official Forum Member

Some games you watch your area. Some games you watch the entire court.

If I'm working with someone new, and I know they're new, and it's pretty clear they're not calling fouls, or violations for that matter, I'll step in and take some of the obvious ones. But I'll probably also mention that they could blow some more fouls out there.
Old Tue Apr 05, 2005, 09:03pm
Official Forum Member

If you are with a rookie who's hesitant to blow the whistle, there will invariably be a few times where you have to go get something - either because it's too violent to pass on, or play is escalating out of control.

Go get what you absolutely need to get - our responsibility in the end is that no one gets hurt. Leave the rest. They gotta learn sometime.

As for the parent....think of an official you don't like, and use their name.

Old Tue Apr 05, 2005, 09:35pm
Official Forum Member

I almost never do reach out of my area. I will go get something obvious if I have to. My main concern is that I don't want to get in the habit of extending my coverage area. Usually if you're working with someone new, it's a lower level game. I don't want that habit sneaking into my Varsity games and games with strong partners. Another thing to think about is should they be calling anything? If it's out of your primary you don't have a really good look at what is happening. Maybe what you think you saw isn't what the person with the better view saw. I had a guy this year come dipping in my area about eleventeen times and he was dead wrong on each one because he was out of his area and didn't see the whole play.

[Edited by Junker on Apr 5th, 2005 at 10:38 PM]
Old Tue Apr 05, 2005, 10:29pm
certified Hot Mom tester

Wink

I never reach. Sometimes I block or hold, but never reach. Oh yeah - I don't go over the back either. Just ask my wife.
Old Tue Apr 05, 2005, 10:38pm
Official Forum Member

Remember, if you happen to be in Europe....there's no handle in the backcourt !!

Old Tue Apr 05, 2005, 10:42pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally posted by Dan_ref
Quote:
Originally posted by BktBallRef
Quote:

And you told her your name is Tubby Smith?
Nope.

Told her my name was ref18.
Old Tue Apr 05, 2005, 10:43pm
Official Forum Member

Send a message via AIM to ChuckElias
Quote:
Originally posted by canuckrefguy
Remember, if you happen to be in Europe....there's no handle in the backcourt !!
I thought they changed that.
Old Tue Apr 05, 2005, 11:00pm
Official Forum Member

Yeah....but you're talking about BASKETBALL