The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Basketball
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Mon Apr 04, 2005, 10:41pm
Official Forum Member

Send a message via MSN to IREFU2 Send a message via Yahoo to IREFU2
My thoughts are that the game was great! But, there were a couple of illegal screens toward the end of the game. But, I am on the couch and they are in the game!
Old Mon Apr 04, 2005, 10:59pm
Fav theme: Roundball Rock

I thought that May got away with a PC early. I also thought that May got away with at least one travel. On the one travel, with which my friends and I watched in slo-mo on TiVo, it appears that he travelled before he was fouled. Also, the guy that fouled out (name?) well, on his 4th you could have given the foul to either one of two guys. Since I felt that one of his earlier fouls was weak, I'd had given the 4th foul to the other guy.
Old Mon Apr 04, 2005, 11:40pm
Official Forum Member

What did you think of the screens that Illinois was setting?
Old Mon Apr 04, 2005, 11:52pm
Official Forum Member

Screens

I noticed those illegal screens as well. At least 3 on the last 3 or 4 possessions. I was rooting for those shots not to go in for the sake of the officials. You certainly don't want to nickel dime down the stretch, but at least 2 of them were bad. #50 both times.
Old Tue Apr 05, 2005, 07:14am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally posted by JugglingReferee
I thought that May got away with a PC early. I also thought that May got away with at least one travel. On the one travel, with which my friends and I watched in slo-mo on TiVo, it appears that he travelled before he was fouled. Also, the guy that fouled out (name?) well, on his 4th you could have given the foul to either one of two guys. Since I felt that one of his earlier fouls was weak, I'd had given the 4th foul to the other guy.
I agree, Maye got away with a big travel in the second half. But it did look like he got bumped a little. That PC was kind of close though, look like more of a flop from the defender.
Old Tue Apr 05, 2005, 07:15am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally posted by BktBallRef
What did you think of the screens that Illinois was setting?
Near the end, most of them were illegal!
Old Tue Apr 05, 2005, 07:43am
Official Forum Member

Maybe this is a new thread, but y'all bring up a great point. My guess is Illinois was setting those screens all game, and weren't called. So, I'm surmising you don't want to call them at the end of the game either. And if you call them early, you'll hear "Let them play...ticky-tack foul...the referees are deciding the game" and all that crap. How do you handle that? I've always been of the philosophy, if you call it early, then it isn't a surprise when you call it late. Of course, I've never refereed a national championship game either.
Old Tue Apr 05, 2005, 07:47am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally posted by FrankHtown
Maybe this is a new thread, but y'all bring up a great point. My guess is Illinois was setting those screens all game, and weren't called. So, I'm surmising you don't want to call them at the end of the game either. And if you call them early, you'll hear "Let them play...ticky-tack foul...the referees are deciding the game" and all that crap. How do you handle that? I've always been of the philosophy, if you call it early, then it isn't a surprise when you call it late. Of course, I've never refereed a national championship game either.
Good point, but what about the ticky-tack fouls on Illinois center that caused him to foul out. The last foul he got actually was on the guy to the left of him.
Old Tue Apr 05, 2005, 07:52am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
you'll hear "Let them play...ticky-tack foul...the referees are deciding the game" and all that crap.
When coaches or fans make those statements it makes my skin crawl. Here's the deal; if the players don't do it, we won't call it.....k?.....deal? The players are making a decision when they commit the act that causes us to hit the whistle. I really don't understand how that is the referees deciding the game.
Old Tue Apr 05, 2005, 07:55am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally posted by IREFU2
Quote:
Good point, but what about the ticky-tack fouls on Illinois center that caused him to foul out. The last foul he got actually was on the guy to the left of him.
Actually, there was 3 guys around him and any one of them could had been tagged but Augustine seemed to have gotten his hack in there. I know because B. Packer said he didn't move his feet.
Old Tue Apr 05, 2005, 08:43am
Official Forum Member

Cool

I thought the no-call by Cahill in the 1st half on the potential PC foul by May was great. Defender obviously starting diving before any contact. Get up!

My favorite Packer quote from the night: "They haven't called moving screens yet, so they may as well keep setting them."

Inadvertently he made it sound like he knew the rule, but it was obvious that he didn't know moving screens are legal, as long as there is no contact.
Old Tue Apr 05, 2005, 08:59am
Official Forum Member

Send a message via AIM to johnSandlin Send a message via Yahoo to johnSandlin
I thought the game was very well called and controlled the whole way through. I thought Cahill and Corbett showed great respect and restraint towards Illinois's coache Bruce Webber.

He kept coming onto the floor constantly. Yes, most of the time he was coaching his players, but there were a couple of times he was making a point to come on the floor when Cahill or Corbett were right in front of him.

The 5th foul on the Illinois center was a foul. Why he was in there at that point in the game was beyond me. That player was in the wrong place at the wrong time most of the night.

Just my opinion from watching the game.
Old Tue Apr 05, 2005, 09:19am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally posted by johnSandlin
I thought the game was very well called and controlled the whole way through. I thought Cahill and Corbett showed great respect and restraint towards Illinois's coache Bruce Webber.

He kept coming onto the floor constantly. Yes, most of the time he was coaching his players, but there were a couple of times he was making a point to come on the floor when Cahill or Corbett were right in front of him.

The 5th foul on the Illinois center was a foul. Why he was in there at that point in the game was beyond me. That player was in the wrong place at the wrong time most of the night.

Just my opinion from watching the game.
I agree. I thought they were consistent throughout and gave Weber plenty of room.

The 5th on Augustine was a good call. And I have to agree with Packer, he had no business in the game when he picked up his 3rd and 4th. May wasn't even in the game. But those fouls were consistent with the way the entire game was called.
Old Tue Apr 05, 2005, 09:31am
In Memoriam

Arrow

I found the body language of the officials confident, yet relaxed, and routine, yet attentive.
mick
Old Tue Apr 05, 2005, 09:35am
Huck Finn

Quote:
Originally posted by IREFU2
Quote:
Wrong, the last foul was in the post and nobody else was close.