The Official Forum

The Official Forum (https://forum.officiating.com/)
-   Basketball (https://forum.officiating.com/basketball/)
-   -   Technical free throw administration (https://forum.officiating.com/basketball/19514-technical-free-throw-administration.html)

justacoach Mon Apr 04, 2005 12:37am

Fed rules
Is there a Fed rule that dictates players must retreat beyond the division line during technical free throw administration??
If so, please provide rules citation.

Thx

TimTaylor Mon Apr 04, 2005 01:20am

Quote:

Originally posted by justacoach
Fed rules
Is there a Fed rule that dictates players must retreat beyond the division line during technical free throw administration??
If so, please provide rules citation.

Thx

Don't have my books with me, but technical free throws are shot with the lane cleared - meaning all players except shooter must be behind both the 3 point arc and the free throw line extended. I don't recall there being any specific provision requiring them to be behind the division line, but it's late & I'm unable to verify that. Correct me if I'm wrong guys.......

Jurassic Referee Mon Apr 04, 2005 02:06am

Tim be correct. Rules references are NFHS rules 8-1-3 and 8-1-5.

brainbrian Mon Apr 04, 2005 09:13am

... not just during technicals, but during any shot when the ball will remain dead after the shot.

Mark Padgett Mon Apr 04, 2005 10:39am

Thinking there is an NF rule that the players must be behind the division line in this situation is an old wives of coaches tale.

Put it in the same category as not being able to legally request a timeout when a five count is past four, not being able to take a charge when you are standing directly under the basket and getting the ball at midcourt following a timeout near the end of the game after rebounding a missed free throw.

stmaryrams Mon Apr 04, 2005 01:24pm

Quote:

Originally posted by Mark Padgett
Thinking there is an NF rule that the players must be behind the division line in this situation is an old wives of coaches tale.

Put it in the same category as not being able to legally request a timeout when a five count is past four, not being able to take a charge when you are standing directly under the basket and getting the ball at midcourt following a timeout near the end of the game after rebounding a missed free throw.

I'm glad you brought up the charge under the basket. I had an assistant coach go nuts on me about something like that. I don't see what kind of advantage standing under the basket and getting run over would be anyway.

Camron Rust Mon Apr 04, 2005 02:09pm

Quote:

At least that ones you mention, Mark, either are or were once rules at some level.

[Edited by Camron Rust on Apr 4th, 2005 at 04:34 PM]

justacoach Mon Apr 04, 2005 03:05pm

Quote:

Originally posted by Jurassic Referee
Tim be correct. Rules references are NFHS rules 8-1-3 and 8-1-5.
Thanks, JR.. This will earn a game check for the charity that ran the tournament where a technical foul was assessed because of the application of a non-existant rule.

QuebecRef87 Mon Apr 04, 2005 08:23pm

Quote:

The idea of this is to avoid confusion. I noticed that if we tell the players to "stand outside the 3-point arc" or to "clear the lane", they will try to get the rebound after the 2nd FT (at least for younger players). Saying "everybody behind the division line" avoid such confusion, though I know there is no rule supporting it.