The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Basketball
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Wed Mar 30, 2005, 07:35pm
Official Forum Member

Send a message via AIM to rainmaker
Okay, well, I'm officially bored. Agmatbal isn't officially a troll, so I can't sit and formulate insults for him (or her?). The kids are out playing; the dishes aren't washed but the hot water heater is out so I can't do those. And I need to keep the phone tied up so the bill collectors can't get through (I'm using the site on dial-up, you see). So here's an interesting topic I've been cogitating for some time. Anyone for some real dialogue?

The general question is, "What's the difference between the men's game and the women's game?" But I want thoughtful and intelligent observations, not just, "Well women can't shoot," or "Men play a lot more above the rim."

Example: We know that the men run faster, but do they get more fast breaks? Do they handle the fast breaks differently?

I've heard both sides of whether women or men are more physical. What's anyone's opinion?

Are the differences different at various levels? I mean, do high school girls and boys differ in ways that college men and women don't differ?

I'd be interested in hearing comparisons that don't include value judgments. If you just plain don't like womens ball, we don't need to hear that. Just don't comment. If you think women are better or worse (loaded words) then try to figure out the specifics of why and post that, not the judgments.

This is a discussion question, not a vote. What are the differences between men's and women's basketball?
Old Wed Mar 30, 2005, 07:46pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally posted by bballrob
Held balls. Nuf said.
LOL!!
Old Wed Mar 30, 2005, 07:50pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
I must be getting better if I'm able to make Juulie laugh so easily.
Yea, or I'm just having a good day. Or some combination of the two.

Meantime, in all seriousness, why does girls ball have more held balls? Is it just how they're coached?
Old Wed Mar 30, 2005, 08:10pm
Official Forum Member

Send a message via AIM to Dan_ref
Quote:
Originally posted by rainmaker
Okay, well, I'm officially bored. Agmatbal isn't officially a troll, so I can't sit and formulate insults for him (or her?). The kids are out playing; the dishes aren't washed but the hot water heater is out so I can't do those. And I need to keep the phone tied up so the bill collectors can't get through (I'm using the site on dial-up, you see). So here's an interesting topic I've been cogitating for some time. Anyone for some real dialogue?

The general question is, "What's the difference between the men's game and the women's game?" But I want thoughtful and intelligent observations, not just, "Well women can't shoot," or "Men play a lot more above the rim."

Example: We know that the men run faster, but do they get more fast breaks? Do they handle the fast breaks differently?

I've heard both sides of whether women or men are more physical. What's anyone's opinion?

Are the differences different at various levels? I mean, do high school girls and boys differ in ways that college men and women don't differ?

I'd be interested in hearing comparisons that don't include value judgments. If you just plain don't like womens ball, we don't need to hear that. Just don't comment. If you think women are better or worse (loaded words) then try to figure out the specifics of why and post that, not the judgments.

This is a discussion question, not a vote. What are the differences between men's and women's basketball?
Wow, you use dial up? Cool.

Anyways, good question. In my opinion there a number of subtle factors that many people tend to ignore that account for almost all of the differences we see between the 2 games. Here are 4 that come immediately to m................((((((((((((......
.........&&&&&&&&&&&############.......................@@@\
@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@(((((((((((@@@@@>@#)>>>......carrier lost
Old Wed Mar 30, 2005, 09:18pm
certified Hot Mom tester

Smile

Quote:
the hot water heater is out
To paraphrase George Carlin, why do you need a hot water heater? Why do you want to heat hot water? Wouldn't a cold water heater make more sense? Or maybe you should get a hot water cooler.

As to your question, one of the most notable differences is that boys always shoot layups on breakaways while girls pull up at about 10 feet and shoot set shots. This one still puzzles me.
Old Wed Mar 30, 2005, 09:42pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
...the dishes aren't washed but the hot water heater is out so I can't do those.
WTH is a hot water heater?

There's no need to heat hot water. It's already hot!

[Edited by BktBallRef on Mar 30th, 2005 at 10:33 PM]
Old Wed Mar 30, 2005, 09:58pm
Official Forum Member

Here's a difference:

Men's regional finals:

Arizona vs. Illinois attendance: 16,957
West Virginia vs. Louisville attendance: 15,896
Wisconsin vs. North Carolina attendance: 30,132
Michigan St. vs. Kentucky attendance: 16,239

Women's regional finals:

Duke vs. LSU attendance: 5,086
Baylor vs. North Carolina attendance: 3,213
Rutgers vs. Tennessee attendance: 6,452
Stanford vs. Michigan St. attendance: 2,475
Old Wed Mar 30, 2005, 10:12pm
Aleve Titles to Others

Send a message via AIM to 26 Year Gap
I usually do the dishes in the sink, but that's just me.

Held balls is one difference, for sure. AP is one of the best rule changes ever. I have done mostly JV ball, but I have noticed if a boys team is really bad they still score 30 points. A bad girls team might get hung up in the teens. A winning boys team in a low scoring game will be in the 40s. High 20s or low 30s is not rare on the girls side.
Old Wed Mar 30, 2005, 10:55pm
Official Forum Member

body control! you know what i mean.
Old Wed Mar 30, 2005, 11:07pm
Official Forum Member

Send a message via AIM to drothamel
What puzzles me at the HS level is that in a girls game, the one girl brings down a rebound, and the other 9 girls on the court decide that they MUST have that ball RIGHT NOW. Held ball ensues. In a boys game, a boy comes down with a rebound, and everyone else goes to the other end of the floor. I just don't get it. Girls see an opponent with the ball and say, "Geez, now I need that ball." Guys see an opponent with the ball and go play defense. I just don't get it.

On the whole, at every level, the guys tend to have much better body control overall. There are a lot less guys hitting the floor than girls in your everage game. Don't know why, but it seems true at every level. Want proof? How many times have you seen a girls' basketball player with knee pads? How many guys wear knee pads?
Old Wed Mar 30, 2005, 11:18pm
Official Forum Member

Send a message via AIM to ChuckElias
The only two relevant differences between the boys game and the girls game are:

1) The boys game is generally faster. There are some girls who can run fast and maintain ball control, but there are many more boys who can. So almost always a boys game will be played with faster plays.

2) Girls simply cannot elevate. There is no such thing as a jump shot in a girls game, let alone a dunk. The girls game is played almost entirely on the floor. Doesn't make the game better or worse, necessarily, just different.
Old Thu Mar 31, 2005, 12:03am
Official Forum Member

Here in Iowa it's because we have different rules for girls (I wish the two associations would combine, I hate starting a game with a coin flip). But seriously, I think alot of it has to do with the speed and strength. I also think that, remember we're speaking in general terms here, boys spend more time developing their skills when they are younger. While we're on the subject, it seems to me that in girls games, the players seem to be one extreme or the other. What I mean is that they'll either be super agressive and commit tons of fouls, or they'll be super passive and not want to touch each other. Anyone else notice this?
Old Thu Mar 31, 2005, 12:18am
Do not give a damn!!

One of the biggest differences is the expectations of each game.

On the boy's side, contact is usually expected and the coaches seem to get on their players for making bad plays.

On the girl's side, if the girl breathes on the ball handler, then the coach cannot understand why there is not a foul.

No one is surprised if a guy falls on his behind. If a girl does it, they think she is going to die if she falls down.

That might sound bad but the expectations of the sexes are still very different. I do not like girl's basketball not because of their ability to play. I do not like girl's basketball because of the expectations of those that play it and the coaches and fans that are involved in.

Peace
Old Thu Mar 31, 2005, 12:25am
Official Forum Member

Poses. I have no idea why
Old Thu Mar 31, 2005, 12:31am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
No, it's cause when A1 has the ball and B1 latches on, they both just HOLD the ball.

In boys ball, A1 has it and B1 latches on, it becomes a tug of war.
In boys ball, A1 has thrown an outlet pass before B1 has a chance to grab at the ball.